Kisara

Yu gi Oh; Duel Monsters

I love Yu-Gi-Oh! Currently rewatching all of Duel Monsters.  Next, I'll watch all of GX, 5D's and Zexal. Haven't watched Arc-V or VRAINS yet but I'm looking forward to it!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheShield said:

but a 1080 version of this anime exists?

I believe Japan had started a re-airing which was remastered like 1yr 1/2 ago or something. Not sure if it was 1080 or not.

Also not sure if any of it ever hit home media. Might still be on-going.

5 hours ago, RyanEsau said:

I believe Japan had started a re-airing which was remastered like 1yr 1/2 ago or something. Not sure if it was 1080 or not.

Also not sure if any of it ever hit home media. Might still be on-going.

Indeed it did, but unfortunately the quality is still very poor. Nowhere near 1080p sharpness.

If I remember correctly, some of the earlier episodes feature dot crawl just like the DVD releases. So it's most likely just a simple upscale and not a genuine (digital) remaster of sorts. There was no home media release for it either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ElementalCards said:

Is it even possible to remaster digital materials? Analog film, I can totally understand, but aren’t digital files sourced from computers...?

Remaster technically just means modifying to some degree in which they claim to "improve" it. So in a way, yes and no.

Yes, they can modify it, but no they can't just magically produce legit HD.

With film, they can just rescan the masters at higher resolution to produce legit HD.

With digital materials they can only upscale it.

Unfortunately "official remasters" of digital materials tend to just mean poorly resized and nearly all grain removed during DNR along with often Q-TEC warpsharpening. In a lot of cases the original DVD will have much more detail than the "upscaled HD remaster".

Though old anime dvds tend to be full of their own set of issues too from terrible mastering.

• Thanks 1

I've seen that Netflix has started releasing the anime, but I haven't got around to re-watch the whole shebang yet. Can't wait, though ^^