Yu gi Oh; Duel Monsters

Kisara

5 hours ago, RyanEsau said:

I believe Japan had started a re-airing which was remastered like 1yr 1/2 ago or something. Not sure if it was 1080 or not.

Also not sure if any of it ever hit home media. Might still be on-going.

Indeed it did, but unfortunately the quality is still very poor. Nowhere near 1080p sharpness.

If I remember correctly, some of the earlier episodes feature dot crawl just like the DVD releases. So it's most likely just a simple upscale and not a genuine (digital) remaster of sorts. There was no home media release for it either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ElementalCards said:

Is it even possible to remaster digital materials? Analog film, I can totally understand, but aren’t digital files sourced from computers...?

Remaster technically just means modifying to some degree in which they claim to "improve" it. So in a way, yes and no.

Yes, they can modify it, but no they can't just magically produce legit HD.

With film, they can just rescan the masters at higher resolution to produce legit HD.

With digital materials they can only upscale it.

Unfortunately "official remasters" of digital materials tend to just mean poorly resized and nearly all grain removed during DNR along with often Q-TEC warpsharpening. In a lot of cases the original DVD will have much more detail than the "upscaled HD remaster".

Though old anime dvds tend to be full of their own set of issues too from terrible mastering.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The part of battle city where Marik is destroying the heroes' minds was a powerful experience for me. I remember watching the part where Joey faints just before he can make the winning move and thinking, this is like an epic dramatization of when I'm putting every fiber of my being into writing an essay the night before its due but pass out in the middle of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Not the first anime I watched but , yeah. . Guess that passed as anime in those days.. 

It was good but I never got to watch the entire series or sequel etc. 

In fact no one uploads that anime these days.. 

The only encoder that did this anime was called darkdream or something and that was a long time ago (yr 2004-06 something) 

By now I totally lost interest in that anime but if I find someone who still uploads then yeah I'll watch.. . 

• 1 year later...

I just recently finished the original broadcast 'mainly' on Crunchyroll and was pretty impressed. 

I was never really a fan back in the early 2000s and would usually avoid the card game scene for the other kid craze stuff happening at the time.

Funnily It was all thanks to the mobile game Duel Links (Looking for players haha) that would get me to peruse the anime/franchise.

I'm about to watch the movie The Dark Side of Dimension soon and I hope it's better than the Pyramid of Light.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I discovered the original Yu-Gi-Oh that aired in the U.S of course. I was obsessed with watching YGO, followed by GX back when Youtube was a thing ancient ago while I was around in high school. I never finish completing GX, same goes with 5D's.

I'm back on the rewatch of those two series. Already took off both of the first seasons. Switching series from season to season hopefully one day I shall take these off from my backlog.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, AlexTheGreat said:

I really wish we had a petition to get the remaining GX (season 4) and the rest of 5 D's in English dub.  At least for GX the final 2-3 episodes where Jaden battles Yami.  That would have been epic!

Would love to see it happen, but it won't. Yugioh's anime exists to sell TCG cards and that's it. So their time has passed. I've also heard Jaden's VA quit doing voice acting shortly after GX so even if they did magically return to dub the shows... it'd be with voice changes.