Cartoon Network Just Announced Their Own Streaming Service for Old Cartoons

So I was just scrolling through my Facebook news feed and saw that Cartoon Network posted this and figured this community of people would definitely find this news interesting: 

TL;DR: Cartoon Network is launching Netlfix for old cartoons as a service called Boomerang for $4.99/month (or $39.99 for a year). More info here: https://www.boomerang.com/

1 minute ago, Dingo said:

looks like they upscaled and cropped a lot of these.

U5Z7DDv.jpg

this shot doesn't look very good, and judging by what CN releases on their CN VOD platform, it's probably gonna have their network logo and have really crappy video quality. 

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that we might see some new updated content

1 minute ago, LS77 said:

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that we might see some new updated content

it should be better than what boomerang Vietnam gives at least. Also, is it just me or does that upscaling look like something done in waifu2x? That color banding reminds me a lot of it when i tried doing 360 -> 1080 things 

It is okay for what it is, as for the library goes ... I am sure they will expand and continue to diverse their programming in the upcoming future. Streaming is obviously the path going forward and for now the only one if they wish to continue on once regular cable has faded into obscurity. Still, all this fragmentation of streaming packages is going to be costly.

Thankfully they've uploaded 4x3 1080p clips of both "The Flintstones" and "Scooby-Doo! Where Are You!" on their official YouTube channel, so maybe things won't be cropped.

Ironically, Scooby-Doo! Where Are You!, which has 1080p HD versions available on Amazon UK, looks pretty crappy in this YouTube clip in comparison to Amazon's copies.

Edited by DawnShadow.

On 3/8/2017 at 3:43 PM, Dingo said:

looks like they upscaled and cropped a lot of these.

They always crop things on all 16:9 promos/commercials to fit the widescreen aspect ratio. Not sure why but yea, you can see it on their linear channel promos.

Btw, If anyone's curious, I asked them if they have plans to have an SAP-like alternative since most of the streaming services don't carry a second audio track unlike linear TV (not even HBO Go apparently). I actually did get a reply and they told me that they'll have Spanish dubbed programming "for most of the content this summer." Fingers crossed that they keep their word, and that they add all those classic CC shows we are all hoping they add soon.

• Like 1

On 12-3-2017 at 11:39 PM, gumby said:

I REALLY want that one show "What A Cartoon!" (I've only seen terrible rips)

1. you clearly haven't been looking in the right places then :)

2. even if this service would add that show,

they would def. use the re-done Boomerang versions with different music scores etc...

On 3/22/2017 at 0:52 AM, Tornado3000 said:

I didn't realize Cartoon Network still cared about their older shows.  Think they'll add their old '90s classics?

In time probably. It would be nice to see all of their old shows in one location. But realistically.. what's so different from the actually tv channel besides quality improvements?

• 2 weeks later...

Juneper.png

I just noticed that Boomerang also has Juniper Lee in their catalog.

I'm happy about this because for most of us in the Cartoon Network Widescreen thread, we've been heavily depending on Boomerang Vietnam's YouTube channel uploads for 720p widescreen episodes (with Vietnamese audio, possible censorship and even geoblocking), but it looks like with this new addition, that won't be the case anymore.

Edited by CrustingFlakes
  • Like 1