Three search limit

Insanityngenius

Hello, 

I have a feeling why there is a limit to how many times you can click the search button before it makes you wait, it is to stop the site from being spammed right?  Could it actually be a real error

something wrong with the search system?  I find it really difficult only being able to search 3 times I think per 30 second period especially when you are just trying to get the keywords right to find something in specific.

I know i'm new here and have no seniority just wondering if the limit ( if it is a limit) can be doubled and if not can be fix.  

Thanks.

Did you get an error message telling you that you had reached a search limit? I just tried it now more than 3 times (within the 30secs) and got my search result back every time.

To my knowledge, I don't think these is that strict of a flood protection, the only limit that was around but has been removed, was that you couldn't search using 3 letter words (i.e. an, the, to etc were excluded).

3 times? I can only search once before i get this message:

Sorry, there is a problem

Please wait 21 seconds before attempting another search

Error code: 1C205/3

It has been like that since i joined so thought there was a 1 search limit every 30 sec. But hasnt been a problem though, so i dont really care, just thought i add it since its relevant to the topic :P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

Lol, n00bs...

Maybe I wasn't searching fast enough, but I just (repasted my search item and hit enter) x3,4,5

I don't think staff have limits on it. If this form software is like the old phpBB or vBulletin like what I used to work with, there are ways to set a flood control on the search system for different member groups, but not all.

13 minutes ago, ZeroPenguins said:

Lol, apparently it's too hard to have a caching service or indexer installed, so every time a user searches it taxes the database with the SQL queries, in short taking up CPU cycles and RAM. So of course there would be a search limit or else it would be too easy to bring down most forums.

IPS actually removed the fast indexer shit from IPB4, so blame them.

I'll look into the settings and see what I can change. I figured I had made it more strict on zero-posters who don't have access to the downloads, but I didn't think it was set so strictly for those that did. I know I set it so it lessened strictness as the ranks got higher though... but again I'll see what I can do when I get a moment.

• Like 3

On 2/10/2017 at 4:25 PM, Moodkiller said:

Did you get an error message telling you that you had reached a search limit?

No I didn't Its the same error Fishmonster gets.  It happens a lot during the first forum keyword search, I got this error for searching twice.

Please wait 25 seconds before attempting another search

Error code: 1C205/3

Contact Us

It also asks me to contact Us  I did send a message through there as well.

41 minutes ago, Insanityngenius said:

No I didn't Its the same error Fishmonster gets.  It happens a lot during the first forum keyword search, I got this error for searching twice.

Please wait 25 seconds before attempting another search

Error code: 1C205/3

Contact Us

It also asks me to contact Us  I did send a message through there as well.

That message IS the search limit they were asking about.

3 minutes ago, ragnawind said:

That message IS the search limit they were asking about.

Weird it doesn't say that, it says sorry, there is a problem... you would think it would say sorry you made a search attempt too many times please wait.  

I made two search attempts within 30 seconds .... and I got this error. Does this mean I need to wait 30 seconds per search attempt? Also sometimes just getting to the right forum and then attempting to search makes me wait 15 seconds before my first search.

Edited by Insanityngenius

19 minutes ago, Insanityngenius said:

I made two search attempts within 30 seconds .... and I got this error. Does this mean I need to wait 30 seconds per search attempt?

Yes it does. Some alternatives for now, would be to go to the sub forum, sort it by Topic Title and "search" it that way. Other alternative is that most uploaders here have an index page, which you can get from signatures or here http://kametsu.com/forum/66-distro-rules-user-indexes/

Incase you missed it, Koby will look into it when he gets the chance but it definitely sounds like it restricting based on your user class.

9 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

Some alternatives for now, would be to go to the sub forum, sort it by Topic Title and "search"

Great info will do.

Other alternative is that most uploaders here have an index page

It is another alternative as well but it still would be nice to *search and find the newest index, because i'm sure some are outdated, I think the ones that have had the most recent post get sent to the top not the ones with the most recent update am I correct?

, Koby will look into it when he gets the chance but it definitely sounds like it restricting based on your user class.

I read what he said thanks Moodkiller :) .

Edited by Insanityngenius

• 5 months later...
On 2/13/2017 at 1:37 PM, ZeroPenguins said:

Don't worry, I already told them to remove the search functionality. Since you know, who needs it, amirite?

Aww, man, finally someone who speaks up! Searching... overrated! 9_9

Thanks @Koby for lookng into this. It has been popping up for me as well. @Moodkiller You... lucky VIP doesn't even know he is a VIP. ;) Thanks for the workaround. 

Edited by EljayFlintok
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...