Welcome to Kametsu

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Charlie Brown

Tuneskit
iTunes DRM Remover for Windows / Mac 2017

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello, I wanted to double verify using Wowfunhappy's .h264 comparison method (because I'm that guy that needs to see proof with my own two eyes), and I've hit a little snag.

I downloaded some 720p content using iTunes 12.6.1.27 for Mac (the latest current version) and ran it through TunesKit 3.4.5 for Mac using the 'M4V Lossless' option (since the file I originally got was an .m4v, not an .mp4). I then downloaded the same 720p content on a Windows machine using iTunes 10.7.0.21 and ran it through Requiem.

I then followed their steps exactly to extract just the h264 video stream using the latest version of ffmpeg, and while ffmpeg pulled it out of the Requiem file just fine, on the TunesKit file, I got a bunch of warnings saying "Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 0: 31084 >= 31084" probably for every timestamp. It did still end up producing a .h264 file though. Unfortunately, the TunesKit h264 file does not match the requiem h264 file in file size.

The Requiem extracted file is 605,191 bytes, while the TunesKit extracted file is 604,744 bytes. Of course when I ran the Windows command 'FC' (File Compare), it failed saying the files were too different.

I'm hoping these ffmpeg warnings have something to do with it or that I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. Any ideas on why ffmpeg might be giving me those warnings or how I can provide more verification other than comparing screen shots? (*edit* I just compared screen captures from VLC, and those too, are different. The Requiem screen capture is slightly darker than the TunesKit one and they're different file sizes, etc.)

Edited by wayacha

Posted (edited)

On 6/15/2017 at 1:48 AM, wayacha said:

Hello, I wanted to double verify using Wowfunhappy's .h264 comparison method (because I'm that guy that needs to see proof with my own two eyes), and I've hit a little snag.

I downloaded some 720p content using iTunes 12.6.1.27 for Mac (the latest current version) and ran it through TunesKit 3.4.5 for Mac using the 'M4V Lossless' option (since the file I originally got was an .m4v, not an .mp4). I then downloaded the same 720p content on a Windows machine using iTunes 10.7.0.21 and ran it through Requiem.

I then followed their steps exactly to extract just the h264 video stream using the latest version of ffmpeg, and while ffmpeg pulled it out of the Requiem file just fine, on the TunesKit file, I got a bunch of warnings saying "Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 0: 31084 >= 31084" probably for every timestamp. It did still end up producing a .h264 file though. Unfortunately, the TunesKit h264 file does not match the requiem h264 file in file size.

The Requiem extracted file is 605,191 bytes, while the TunesKit extracted file is 604,744 bytes. Of course when I ran the Windows command 'FC' (File Compare), it failed saying the files were too different.

I'm hoping these ffmpeg warnings have something to do with it or that I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. Any ideas on why ffmpeg might be giving me those warnings or how I can provide more verification other than comparing screen shots? (*edit* I just compared screen captures from VLC, and those too, are different. The Requiem screen capture is slightly darker than the TunesKit one and they're different file sizes, etc.)

Huh, that is strange. Are you using the latest version of TunesKit that supports iTunes 12.6? They reported that previous versions don't properly support 12.6. They never said lossless DRM removal is no longer possible, thought I doubt they'd admit that anyway, being a commercial product. I don't know if there's a crack available for the latest version yet, I haven't looked. Maybe try downgrading to iTunes 12.5, though I heard that's not so easy on macOS. Also, can you give an example of what content you tried it with?

The only thing I've tried is removing DRM from 1080p content with TunesKit on Windows with iTunes 12.5 and comparing it to previously DRM-stripped files from Requiem, though Wowfunhappy tested with 720p. Also, M4V and MP4 are actually the exact same container format, just with two different file extensions. You can see the "Lossless MP4" option to see if it makes a difference, but it did not for me.

Edited by nyuszika7h

Can't wait to test this out, been looking for a method like this for months