Official Vent Thread

Arian

Somebody tried to hack my server and now it's unresponsive because the company locked it down for safety purposes.

But even after I refreshed everything, I still can't connect to it.

If anybody has any suggestions about where to go from here, I'm all ears.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Arian said:

Somebody tried to hack my server and now it's unresponsive because the company locked it down for safety purposes.

But even after I refreshed everything, I still can't connect to it.

If anybody has any suggestions about where to go from here, I'm all ears.

Have you contacted tech support yet? It's their server and they locked it down, so I don't see why they wouldn't help out if you put a ticket in for the issue.

@Arian

Since you said you "refreshed it" I'm assuming you are able to connect to manage the server, but that previously made download links are dead. I tried one of the Goof Troop links a few minutes ago and it's defenitley not working.

It's possible the server provider might have killed all your download links. If there isn't a way to revive them, then maybe try creating new download links and see if that works. Probably be a pain in the ass to create new links for everything, but it's worth a shot if you can't fix the original ones.

Edited by ThePJzer

u6oB2Oi.png

Now we learn that it wasn't a hack after all. No, it seems as though Toei Animation has squealed on me on copyright infringement grounds already.

What I don't get is why did they report the Canadian shows I had on my server? They have nothing to do with that.

Well, it's back to MEGA.nz for me. The rest of you, you know who you are, you're on your own.

So much for 5 years without a single copyright notice, eh, @Koby?

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Arian said:

Now we learn that it wasn't a hack after all. No, it seems as though Toei Animation has squealed on me on copyright infringement grounds already.

Damn, that's a shame. Guess you could try deleting the reported content and notify them you did so. Might get the server back up and the links live again for the rest of the content that's still on there.

It's why I suggested XDCC over direct links. It's a lot more exclusive, and less likely to be targeted because it requires them actually joining irc channels and trying to figure out where bots are located (which they aren't privy to domain names or server IPs).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Koby said:

It's why I suggested XDCC over direct links. It's a lot more exclusive, and less likely to be targeted because it requires them actually joining irc channels and trying to figure out where bots are located (which they aren't privy to domain names or server IPs).

I'll keep this in mind, and I might even set it up for backup purposes, but I do want everyone to have access. If @Raven can host the mainstream content he's hosting on MEGA, then why can't I?

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ThePJzer said:

Why wouldn't everyone have access to XDCC? After taking 5-10 minutes to set it up it's just as easy to download from as any DDL.

Well, I don't know everyone's situation. It might be easy for some people and hard for others. As you saw on @Koby's poll, XDCC got the least amount of votes for preferred method of downloading.

Nevertheless, only time will tell which direction I go in from here. Perhaps I'll cater to both.

27 minutes ago, Arian said:

Well, I don't know everyone's situation. It might be easy for some people and hard for others. As you saw on @Koby's poll, XDCC got the least amount of votes for preferred method of downloading.

Nevertheless, only time will tell which direction I go in from here. Perhaps I'll cater to both.

Fair enough. It really is pretty simple to get set up following the guide here on Kametsu for Hexchat. It's a bit outdated though and Hexchat has changed slightly in regards to it's GUI layout. Once it's set up, if you can copy/paste, you can download.

I've been thinking about creating an updated version to that guide that will pretty much hold everyone's hand from begining to end. I have to make guides all the time at work as it is.

5 hours ago, Arian said:

u6oB2Oi.png

What I don't get is why did they report the Canadian shows I had on my server? They have nothing to do with that.

Well, it's back to MEGA.nz for me. The rest of you, you know who you are, you're on your own.

Great, so the ISOs I uploaded are down.  I guess I might have to consider getting a XDCC account set up then.  Back to Openload for the meantime.

1 minute ago, Arian said:

Sorry about that, man.

That's fine.  I know it's something beyond your control, anyway.  Also, knowing the shows that were targeted weren't produced by Toei anyways, it might just be a false DMCA by some twit.

I know this because usually when a Social Justice advocate can't get their way through their conventional means, the last resort (prior to violence, so you might call that semi-final) is usually using copyright (DMCA, which under American law is legally perjury) to get something taken down.

6 hours ago, Arian said:

u6oB2Oi.png

It's a good thing that none of those "Atomic Puppet" episodes got uploaded on millenniumring.co, @Arian.

1 hour ago, DabDeity710 said:

I was downloading a 10gb torrent and the lack of seeds had it averaging about 200-300bkps and with it at 95% my computer crashses now I have to start over:cry:

What? You should be able to recheck/verify the previously received chunks and then just pick up where you left off at. You shouldn't have to start all over.

6 minutes ago, ThePJzer said:

What? You should be able to recheck/verify the previously received chunks and then just pick up where you left off at. You shouldn't have to start all over.

I was torrenting it directly to my external hard drive and I guess the computer crashing caused it to disconnect mid download corrupting it cuz only the one I was downloading to my desktop picked up where I left off

Edited by DabDeity710

55 minutes ago, DabDeity710 said:

I was torrenting it directly to my external hard drive and I guess the computer crashing caused it to disconnect mid download corrupting it cuz only the one I was downloading to my desktop picked up where I left off

Do you still have what was downloaded in the external?