xdelta3 GUI 2.0 (v2.0.8) - A patch maker for all!

Moodkiller

xdelta3 GUI 2.0

Gt3n4kM.png

Synopsis: I have forever been in search of gui for xdelta for patch making. After trying out 3 or 4 different ones, I stumbled across this one from a 3 year old github repo. Of course with it being this old, there were some features and functionality missing, not to mention it was using an outdated xdelta3 package. From this, xdelta3 GUI 2.0 was born.

info

File Host: Mega, github
Affiliated Groups: Jordi Vemeulen (original creator), Moodkiller (modifier,updater)
File Size: ~1MB
File Extension: .exe

Changelog:

Changelog includes: v2.0.8

• Fixed 3.Apply Patch-Windows.bat creation to look in correct directory for xdelta3 executable.
Spoiler

Changelog includes: v2.0.7

• Now creates a shell script for all you Linux users so that patches can be applied.
  • Added @pause to end of 3.Apply Patch-Windows.bat so that outcome is visible when applying patches.
  • Moved xdelta executables out of patch subdirectory to root for cross platform compatibility.
  • Cosmetic changes (version number now in title bar, updated tool tips)
  • Added icon to menu bar and task bar. 
  • Added auto fill options of xdelta, vcdiff and diff for the Patch Extension field.
  • Added auto fill set of arguments in a 'drop down' style that removed the "-B 1073741824"  tag in order to lower RAM usage during patch making.

Changelog includes: v2.0.6

• Fixed the Drag and Drop feature to allow dropping whole folders.
  • Some bug fixes.

Changelog includes: v2.0.5

•  Fix .zip creation
  •  Improved the "temp" directory name generation

Changelog includes: v2.0.4

• Drag and drop functionality.
  • Only have one instance of a CMD window when making a batch patch.

Changelog includes: v2.0.2

• xdelta3 source wildcard (so that any new version of xdelta can be placed in the root folder).
  • Added a new option where one could specify what patch extension they would like.

Changelog includes: v2.0

• Updated to use xdelta3 3.1.0 release.
  • Enabled secondary and higher source window size (results in smaller patch files).
  • Added xdelta3 arguments line for finer control.
  • GUI now creates a empty changelog file (2.Changelog.txt) as well as patching instructions (1.Readme.txt).
  • Colour co-ordinated list boxes.
  • Updated Folder browser to full featured version for Patch File Destination setting.
  • Set GUI to copy xdelta3 to patch sub directory by default.
  • Set default subdirectory to vcdiff as default for patch files.
  • Set patch files to have Old files file name
  • Set new extension for patch files to .vcdiff
  • Updated copyright date and version information.
  • Created custom logo
  • Updated Makepatch.bat section accordingly.
  • Added confirmation box after patch creation.
  • Run patch application in verbose mode

TO ADD

----------
• Make GUI dragable while patch making is running.

• Create scripts to run on Apple OS.
• Change icon in menu bar.

• xdelta3 source wildcard (so that any new version of xdelta can be placed in the root folder).
• drag and drop functionality.
• Add a new option where one could specify what patch extension they would like. 

• Fix .zip making - currently makes an empty .zip fle.

• Use one CMD window when making patches for more than 1 file.

• Add @pause to patch making CMD and .bat application CMD.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome, otherwise I hope you all find a use for this.

Credit goes to all those who helped on IRC with their respective inputs, namely @CaptainJet, @Koby, @Etzimal, @JohnFlower and @SakuraChan

screens.png

downloads

File Hosts:

Current version: 2.0.8
xdelta3 GUI 2.0 - Mega | md5sum: ffb799191d16da8d16591bb22a0e115f | VirusTotal Results
xdelta3 GUI 2.0 - Github

Notes:

• Seen as this was brought up, to solve the high RAM usage, just remove "-B 1073741824" from the arguments section. The risk is that you may end up with a larger than required .vcdiff file especially if just patching fonts or 1 audio track. 

enjoy

Edited by Moodkiller
Updated
  • Like 13

31 minutes ago, SallySubs said:

Does this one allow for batch patching? Like I give it a source folder with the old files, destination folder with the new batch files and it will just make all the patches for each file in there?

To answer your first question, yes it does support batch patching. However, at this stage it only accepts files in the listbox (not folders), but one can select as many files as they want from the file browser dialogue box and add them in one go. 

RE88pPT.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SallySubs said:

I see, and what does that box do for "Batch file only" is it what I think it is and it creates only 1 file instead of multiple for each ep?

The "Batch file only" creates a .bat file that will subsequently make the patch files when run, if for some reason you want to make the patches at a later stage. 

The GUI will only make one .bat file that will have all the commands in it to patch how ever many files you had in the list box. So in the example I gave you before, this is the output folder:

Patch directory

6dSmadV.png

vcdiff folder:

GzLH5tH.png

and .bat file:

Ad9ngR8.png

8 hours ago, Moby JJ said:

Thanks for the share :) looks awesome!

Many thanks :) 

1 hour ago, professa X said:

I see that vcdiff is the patch type rather than xdelta can it make xdelta

It honestly makes no difference. While .xdelta would match the programme (xdelta3), the first version of an xdelta gui I used, outputted .vcdiff file and I have always stuck with that extension. The reason I kept it was because of the "diff" part, sounds appropriate. 

HOWEVER, what you have given me an idea for is to add a new option where one could specify what patch extension they would like. 

• Like 1

Sally here with a complaint, for every episode it needs to create a patch for, it opens a new window. Can't you make it so it does all of it in the same window?

Also, compared to my other patch maker, this is really slow ;__;

More complaint, It doesn't work. First time I tried running the patches myself to see if it works, it put the files in the old folder but it failed to actually make new ones.

After that, it wouldn't even put the files in the old folder anymore but just refused to do anything.

Complaint 3: I seem to have completely broke your program, it refuses to make patches now and it doesn't copy the xdelta file even when the box is checked.

Edited by SallySubs

7 hours ago, SallySubs said:

Sally here with a complaint, for every episode it needs to create a patch for, it opens a new window. Can't you make it so it does all of it in the same window?

I take it as constructive criticism :). I have added this to the "To Do" list 

Also, compared to my other patch maker, this is really slow ;__;

Blame the xdelta version. You could also run it after removing "djw" argument which will stop the secondary compression, however you may end up with larger .vcdiff files.

More complaint, It doesn't work. First time I tried running the patches myself to see if it works, it put the files in the old folder but it failed to actually make new ones.

After that, it wouldn't even put the files in the old folder anymore but just refused to do anything.

Complaint 3: I seem to have completely broke your program, it refuses to make patches now and it doesn't copy the xdelta file even when the box is checked.

lol. Ok Im going to assume is because it was being run with admin privileges? Resulting in the file paths being different/wrong? 

8 hours ago, ani-me said:

After reading all the comments, my only question to you,

When will you be releasing the next patch(version) of this patch-maker?

At this stage I don't have a set timeline. I would like to get a new version out by the end of January. I'd probabaly just work on parts of it at a time and release it when 90% of what I wanted to do is done. How come?

Also sorry I can't be super accurate on that answer.

Edit:

8 hours ago, ani-me said:

As for the problems you stated here, and in the other post, most of them should be fixable within a few hours..

I'll try and make some free time after new year and see what I can do to help..

By all means, it is all on github, so feel free to edit/fix what's there :).

Thank you. 

Edited by Moodkiller

4 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

At this stage I don't have a set timeline. I would like to get a new version out by the end of January. I'd probabaly just work on parts of it at a time and release it when 90% of what I wanted to do is done. How come?

Also sorry I can't be super accurate on that answer.

Edit:

By all means, it is all on github, so feel free to edit/fix what's there :).

Thank you. 

yeah sure... No problem...

And I'll try and make time in Jan. I sure can't even have a look at the source code before, maybe, Jan 15th..So I'll try and have a look after that. I'll let you know if I start working on something so that you can focus on other stuff in the meantime..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ani-me said:

yeah sure... No problem...

And I'll try and make time in Jan. I sure can't even have a look at the source code before, maybe, Jan 15th..So I'll try and have a look after that. I'll let you know if I start working on something so that you can focus on other stuff in the meantime..

Sounds good to me. Just whenever really, don't need to make it a priority. 

I think I've got some patches to make for something...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the GUI. But like SallySubs say this create the patch fine, but the patch don't work. And is because a bug in the 3.Apply Patch.bat. See this:

mkdir old
.\Patch\xdelta-3.1.0-x86_64.exe -v -d -s "Bridge_of_God.mix" ".\Patch\Bridge_of_God.mix.vcdiff" "Bridge_of_God.mix"
move "Bridge_of_God.mix" old

You create the new file and try put the new file in the folder before you move the old file. But can't put the new file because the old file is still there.

I fixed with this and work fine:

mkdir old
move "Bridge_of_God.mix" old
.\Patch\xdelta-3.1.0-x86_64.exe -v -d -s ".\old\Bridge_of_God.mix" ".\Patch\Bridge_of_God.mix.vcdiff" "Bridge_of_God.mix"

I have a request:

1. Make this read the folder and then the sub folders in that folder.

2. Make this accept files in the "new files" that don't exist in the "old files", and copy those files in a folder called Update.

3. I know you put this on github.com but you can put a rar with the project files.

• Moodkiller changed the title to xdelta3 GUI 2.0 (v2.0.8) - A patch maker for all!