Steins;Gate The Movie USBD will be hitting shelves on March 28, 2017

Koby

11 minutes ago, Inverti said:

So in other words, Sengoku Basara Judge End was recorded before Travis joined the union, then? Anyway, I see that you've posted two audio clips... lemme watch 'em.

From what I'm told; Laura Bailey, Dameon Clarke, & Travis Willingham are all fully-registered SAG-AFTRA actors, & FUNimation specifically stays in Texas to avoid SAG-AFTRA rules.

Once you become a member of SAG-AFTRA, there is a rule--called Global Rule One--which states that actors who join the union are not allowed to take non-union work. If you break Global Rule One and are caught, you are subject to anything from fines to expulsion from the union (depending on how high-profile the non-union work is that you took). In spite of this, many actors still take non-union work, an expression referred to as "working off the card." Usually it's one of four scenarios.

1) Union actors will take non-union work under a pseudonym (fake name). That's why, if you go to a union voice actor's IMDb page, you will occasionally see things like, "Sometimes does anime work under the name (insert pseudonym here)." We can't completely confirm this, but the general consensus is that Dameon Clarke did indeed come back to voice Cell for Kai, and used the pseudoynm, "Dartanian Nickleback." Doing non-union work under a pseudonym is still breaking Global Rule One, but an actor is less likely to get caught if they use a pseudonym. There aren't a lot of actors doing this nowadays though, because fans on the internet have become very good at spotting a particular actor's voice.

2) Union actors will just flat out use their real name and hope they won't get caught. Voice actors are far, far less likely to get caught than on-camera actors, and the lower the budget on a particular project, the less likely the union is to look into the matter. The number of union actors outnumber the number of union staff members by a very, very, very large margin. Pursuing actors working off the card on an anime dub ranks very low on their priority list, if it even shows up on the priority list at all.

3) Pretty much every big-name movie and TV celebrity is a union actor, and--while this is not particularly common--they can usually take non-union work without fear of reprisal from the union, because celebrities are the biggest bargaining chip that SAG-AFTRA has to prevent production companies from going non-union. The union is afraid to piss off celebrities for fear of them making a big fuss about it and leaving the union, which lessens the union's bargaining power. Not every celebrity actor who works on a non-union project is aware of the fact that the project is non-union, though. The creator of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, a non-union show, said that they've run into a number of instances where celebrity actors made cameos, found out after the fact that it was a non-union show, and made panicked phone calls demanding that their work not be used. Actors who become celebrities usually don't bother to ask if a project is union or non-union, because they assume it has to be a union project if celebrities are involved. That's why you had a few celebrity cameos in South Park, another non-union show. Their manager simply called them and said, "Hey, I got you a role on South Park," to which the celebrity actor simply said, "OK, cool," and that was that.

4) Normally, when you do X amount of union work, you are legally obligated to join the union...however, in a right-to-work state, like Texas, the law is such that you can take all the union work you want, and you never have to join. If you join SAG-AFTRA, you have to follow their rules no matter where you live, but people living in right-to-work states are not obligated to join at any point, as opposed to a union security state, like California or New York, where you are obligated to join after taking a certain amount of union work.

As such it's very unlikely that we'll see Travis Willingham much, if at all, in any future FUNimation dubs.

And then, there's a ficore (financial core) status, which allow VAs to go both sides (being union and non-union work). Most anime work is non-union, as far as I'm concerned. So when I see a dub produced in Los Angeles, I'd assume that at least 80% of the cast is ficore. The remaining 20% are either non-union VAs or union VAs hiding under an alias.

And I've listened to the clips. Both voices sound pretty similar to me. I personally don't think Travis's voice sounds at all like an old man nor is it raspy. It's just a deep voice that fits the mature looking Yu. If anything, this is raspy and truly unfitting (neither is it age appropriate)...  

Edited by Inverti

5 hours ago, Koby said:

Except Black Star in Soul Eater where they cast a woman to play a boy and sounded ridiculous. I don't know who had the bright idea to have Brittney Karbowski (the voice of Misaka on Railgun/Index) voice Black Star...

Yes, I agree. Black Star sounded horrible in Soul Eater...One of the worst VA I have ever come across..

2 hours ago, Inverti said:

My question would be, since it's set in America, what's up with the contrived accents? Wouldn't the characters have sounded just fine if the VAs spoke naturally?? Also, contrived accents generally sound fine to me; yeah, they're stereotypes, but it's far less grating to hear a contrived British accent than British people speaking in American drawl. Imagine if Black Butler had everyone speaking like an American instead of British. Oooooh, that would have NOT gone well. And Hetalia without accents? That too.

Or they can just hire VA who naturally have the required accent, instead of faking it..

Well, now you both can continue on..Besides, the topic has already gone too far ahead for me to step in now..

9 minutes ago, ani-me said:

Yes, I agree. Black Star sounded horrible in Soul Eater...One of the worst VA I have ever come across..

Brittney Karbowski isn't terrible, and is nowhere near to being the "worst VA". She just sucks as Black Star (and male voices in general), that's all. Look at her list of roles here. Fortunately, she's often cast right.

9 minutes ago, ani-me said:

Or they can just hire VA who naturally have the required accent, instead of faking it..

Sorry dude, but it doesn't work like that. There are more Americans than there are foreigners in the US, much less those that could act... Also, not just anyone could walk into the Funimation studio to record for pro dubs. This isn't the old days, where they would just rope people off of the street into their studio.

Edited by Inverti

Just now, Inverti said:

Brittney Karbowski isn't terrible, and is nowhere near to being the "worst VA". She just sucks as Black Star, that's all. Look at her list of roles here. Fortunately, she's often cast right.

Well, I meant miscast...I know some of her work and she good...

3 minutes ago, Inverti said:

Sorry dude, but it doesn't work like that. There are more Americans than there are foreigners in the US, much less those that could act that reside in the US... Also, not just anyone could walk into the Funimation studio to record for pro dubs. This isn't the old days, where they would just rope people off of the street into their studio.

Well, yes, I understand...but then again I am just complaining here, while envisioning the idea anime dubs...