Dragonball Super Dub (Funimation)

Dervell

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just can't do Japanese VAs for the really intense anime, like fighting stuff - I have pretty weirdly sensitive hearing, and it's just a touch too high-pitched in parts for me to enjoy, so Funimation Dub it is. Also rocks the nostalgia factor with me, since I grew up on the English dub.

Bring it on, Funimation...

• 2 weeks later...

3rd Season ended last weekend. Onto the Season 4 this weekend!

Been watching weekly for awhile now. I prefer completed anime but I kinda threw that aside considering how long a wait that'll be for DBS. Dub is 77 episodes behind as-is and don't really see the series stopping quite yet. Although I saw on Twitter people talking that DBS is going on hiatus in March or so, likely to focus on the next movie before continuing. I guess that'll give time for the gap to shrink, lol.

On 2/1/2017 at 7:29 AM, joaquinrosee said:

I'm just waiting for the Future Trunks/Black Goku arc to air in English. Unfortunately gotta wait until Episode 47, that won't be until Fall or maybe even Winter 2017 lol

This weekend (Episodes are Saturday @ 11PM PST I believe) is the weekend. A few weeks got skipped/episodes pushed due to holidays/events :/ There was one because of the World Cup (Around Thanksgiving?) then 2 weeks in December because I guess maybe not as many people would watch close to Christmas... 

On 3/22/2017 at 3:28 PM, Velvet Crowe said:

I'm hoping gogeta appears in the tournament of power! "Fingers Crossed"

I'd be down for some Gogeta~ I hated in it in the movie (Fusion Reborn), such a tease :( 

On 3/24/2017 at 4:54 AM, Ih8heels said:

I hope they censor/cut out anything that is toilet humor related. It makes me nauseous just at the sight of anything resembling or making to resemble fecal matter. & I'm glad that I haven't seen any full frontal male child nudity either so that's reassuring.

+1 I kinda worried a bit post/early DBS when I saw a clip of Arale poking some poop or something like that. I think it might've been in the BOG movie but it's definitely not in the series luckily. Not a personal fan of toilet humor. Edit: Actually might be some... just ran over someone mentioning Arale in like S5. Shoot... Hopefully it's not much >_<

On 8/4/2017 at 8:04 PM, sumwai said:

Can anyone pls upload Dragonball Super Dual Audio please? Thank you:D

They have upto Episode 34 available at the moment. Which is S1/S2 complete and the beginning of 3. (1 = 1-14, 2 = 15-27, 3 = 28-46)

On 8/13/2017 at 12:19 PM, AkaWeezy said:

Desperately want to know when the 3rd season's getting dubbed. The DB franchise is one I like the dub better than the sub

Well, Season 3 just ended last weekend if you're still interested. Watching Season to Season rather than Episode to Episode?

On 1/3/2018 at 11:19 PM, Stormness_1 said:

I just can't do Japanese VAs for the really intense anime, like fighting stuff - I have pretty weirdly sensitive hearing, and it's just a touch too high-pitched in parts for me to enjoy, so Funimation Dub it is. Also rocks the nostalgia factor with me, since I grew up on the English dub.

Bring it on, Funimation...

Sensitive hearing isn't really an issue for me but I feel the same. I always wait for Dubs if I started the series Dub regardless but I also just don't really care for JP when watching fighting anime like DBZ. I don't want to read subtitles while everyone's trading blows and what not. I don't really get into the action the same having to do that. I did watch one episode subbed though... (The DBZ OVA, Yo! Son Goku & his Friends Return) and I didn't like the JP voices frankly. I ended up watching the other 2 OVAs (Episode of Bardock / Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans) Fan dubbed since there was no Dub available. Not bad at all.

Edited by RyanEsau
Added info

I also dislike the Japanese voice acting in the DB series, especially Masako Nozawa. Imo, her portrayals on all her characters (barring Goku as a kid) are one of the worst voice acting I've heard, ever. It also helps to know that I've binged the original DB series, Kai and GT all in one go, so my ears only recognize Sean Schemmel as the definitive Goku voice, and nobody else.

I've watched up to the latest dubbed EP as well, cuz I frankly don't wanna wait for the dub to finish airing before starting. DBS is the only show that I watch weekly; I usually binge shows. 

Edited by Inverti

2 hours ago, Inverti said:

It also helps to know that I've binged the original DB series, Kai and GT all in one go, so my ears only recognize Sean Schemmel as the definitive Goku voice, and nobody else.

That's another reason I like sticking to Dub if I start Dub frankly. When they have scenes where they might have like a 'unknown person' returning and all you get is a voice clip of them talking in the distance. JP voices don't really stick with me, need english. I always end up feeling out of the loop because I couldn't even attempt to recognize the voice when those type of scenarios happen.

I watched the original DBZ (I watched Kai week to week when it originally ran on Nicktoons years ago. Saiyan Saga to Cell Saga. Haven't seen Final Chapters.) & GT like Late 2016 I believe. Longest show I've ever stuck with through and through. I avoid long runners especially if there still on-going which makes it kinda hard to jump onboard imo. I watched DBZ (Movies/SPs Included) all the way through followed immediately by GT (Including it's Special). That was quite the journey, lol. 291 Episodes + 15 Movies + 2 Specials + 3 OVAs (DBZ) + 64 Episodes + 1 Special (GT)... quite the ride. I didn't manage to watch DB because I couldn't find a download at the time, plan to watch it though soon (got it now) like next month or so. Then I'll have seen the entire series. (I've seen majority of DB as a kid but I don't remember squat, lol.)

3 hours ago, Inverti said:

I've watched up to the latest dubbed EP as well, cuz I frankly don't wanna wait for the dub to finish airing before starting. DBS is the only show that I watch weekly; I usually binge shows. 

I just prefer completed anime so that I have the option to watch a episode or two or binge it all (I try not to binge much these days just to stretch out series a bit.) if I want to, also not really a fan of waiting on episodes to see how the story continues. Just give me the full story upfront :P

I chose to watch Kai instead of DBZ because it's essentially a redub. I don't like Linda Young as Frieza at all. I believe Chris Ayres is the only VA that does him justice. Then there's the problem of Chris Sabat voicing pretty much all the male characters in DBZ, most of which are recast to separate VAs in Kai. 

16 hours ago, Inverti said:

I chose to watch Kai instead of DBZ because it's essentially a redub. I don't like Linda Young as Frieza at all. I believe Chris Ayres is the only VA that does him justice. Then there's the problem of Chris Sabat voicing pretty much all the male characters in DBZ, most of which are recast to separate VAs in Kai. 

From what I recall, Kai was pretty much like a remake of DBZ w/ the filler cut out. I figured that was the primary reason most people watched, rather than skipping filler episodes they'll just goto the option with the episodes pre-cut. Didn't know there were differing voices between the two.

I mean, as a viewer, you miss literally nothing if you watch Kai since it only adapts manga content, and it's the one and only truthful adaption of Akira Toriyama's work. The voice work has also improved drastically in the Kai dub as well. I'm so glad I never watched DBZ. I saved more than 130+ EPs' worth of time. The pacing's a lot  better in Kai, too. No more 20+ EPs in finishing off Frieza.

Edited by Inverti

On 1/19/2018 at 9:45 PM, Inverti said:

I mean, as a viewer, you miss literally nothing if you watch Kai since it only adapts manga content, and it's the one and only truthful adaption of Akira Toriyama's work. The voice work has also improved drastically in the Kai dub as well. I'm so glad I never watched DBZ. I saved more than 130+ EPs' worth of time. The pacing's a lot  better in Kai, too. No more 20+ EPs in finishing off Frieza.

I'm crying inside...

3 hours ago, p0nch0 said:

I'm crying inside...

It's not that bad, lol. The main difference I remember from watching Kai and when I watched DBZ was that filler was pretty much skipped over. They just focused on the storyline. Any of like the off-time where they might've had a side adventure of some sort, wasn't covered in Kai.

Like for example, I remember there being some space adventure tidbit with Bulma/Krillin/Kid Gohan like just before reaching Namek? (They were en route to Namek already I believe and this little adventure was in the midst) That wasn't covered.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Friends_or_Foes%3F_(uncut) (Referring to the Mirror Spaceship tidbit)

Side note: Enjoyed the first episode of DBS S4. I really hate when characters get cutout so promptly though... :/ Especially when it's someone that doesn't really get screentime/been offscreen for awhile.

Sean Schemmel really nailed Goku Black's voice in the anime. He was awful in the XV games, but I'm glad that Funimation finally decided to settle with an evil sounding Goku voice for Black without going the Dr Claw route. This gets me excited for more episodes, where I'll get to experience more of Black's wrath.

Edited by Inverti
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, sudoku said:

As always, there is an issue with the slow pace of the anime, but overall I am enjoying the story line more than I did with Dragonball GT.  I do hope they do a more speed up version like Dragon Ball Kai where they cut out fillers and slower repeat scenes.

Well, we're definitely behind the JP Dub without a doubt but I think the voice actors were busy dubbing the games and that made for the long delay unfortunately. Dragon Ball Z Kai is coming to an end soon though, (I never realized it was still going until like a week ago, lol) so maybe after that then they could double up on episode releases? Would be sweet to see 2 episodes a week, at least some weeks if not every week. I assume it's definitely possible considering they've been doing double duty (DBS + DBZ Kai) all this time. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Ball_Z_Kai_episodes#Season_7:_Evil_Buu_Saga_(2014–2015)

They still got like 9 episodes left. So like Late June probably? I think we should be probably just about entering S5 right about then, so that'd be a nice point to speed up. New Season, New Pace.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...