Jump to content
seirachan

Is there a way to save my data?

Recommended Posts

So a few months ago my computer got hit by a virus and I was unable to boot the hard drive until I reformatted, well turns out it did the same thing to my Portable Hard Drive as it cannot be read when plugged in at all. My computer does not even recognize it to make the sound when I plug it in. There's a bunch of save files and photos I've built up over 15 years I wanna get off of it if possible. But it seems hopeless. It clearly gets power but is unable to be recognized. I dunno what virus it was and I don't have any records of what my pc did when it got hit aside from being unable to boot my drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, seirachan said:

So a few months ago my computer got hit by a virus and I was unable to boot the hard drive until I reformatted, well turns out it did the same thing to my Portable Hard Drive as it cannot be read when plugged in at all. My computer does not even recognize it to make the sound when I plug it in. There's a bunch of save files and photos I've built up over 15 years I wanna get off of it if possible. But it seems hopeless. It clearly gets power but is unable to be recognized. I dunno what virus it was and I don't have any records of what my pc did when it got hit aside from being unable to boot my drive.

Try running this https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

 

Managed to save my hard drives files last month when the hard drives partition completely vanished.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Koby said:

Try running this https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

 

Managed to save my hard drives files last month when the hard drives partition completely vanished.

That is a great tool @Koby mentioned, even in the free version.

I used it to save a memory card when the partition became damaged and other programs couldn't easily detect it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, seirachan said:

So a few months ago my computer got hit by a virus and I was unable to boot the hard drive until I reformatted, well turns out it did the same thing to my Portable Hard Drive as it cannot be read when plugged in at all. My computer does not even recognize it to make the sound when I plug it in. There's a bunch of save files and photos I've built up over 15 years I wanna get off of it if possible. But it seems hopeless. It clearly gets power but is unable to be recognized. I dunno what virus it was and I don't have any records of what my pc did when it got hit aside from being unable to boot my drive.

You can possibly take it in to any computer repair shop and have them try to perform a data recovery ....or pull an image 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cortical Larvae said:

You can possibly take it in to any computer repair shop and have them try to perform a data recovery ....or pull an image 

 

To be honest, the repair shops will use the same tools that were mentioned above (maybe the paid versions if they are not pirates). If the data is absolutely life it's self, then I would take that money that would have been used at the repair shop, and spend it on a proper data recovery company... they ones that use clean rooms and dissect the drive and all that jazz.

 

Though judging by the way OP has written their post, your suggestion may suit them better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

To be honest, the repair shops will use the same tools that were mentioned above (maybe the paid versions if they are not pirates). If the data is absolutely life it's self, then I would take that money that would have been used at the repair shop, and spend it on a proper data recovery company... they ones that use clean rooms and dissect the drive and all that jazz.

 

Though judging by the way OP has written their post, your suggestion may suit them better. 

The lowest price to recover the data was $200 even if they fail. went up to $500

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on how the data on the disk has been damaged, it may or may not be recoverable.

 

I would recommend trying SpinRite on it, although if you are dealing with an external drive getting at the drive might be annoying. Otherwise, getting an image of the drive is actually quite easy if you have somewhere to write the image to; any Linux live disk can it (you want the dd command).   

 

If you need further help, let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×