Winter 2016 Anime Season

Koby

Winter 2016 Anime Chart

NTHgMve.jpg

Full Image | AniChart.net

Seasonal Hall of Fame Archive

IMO this is just another season where sequels to existing shows overshadow any of the 'new series' and looks to mostly be a fairly weak season over all.

Definitely Watching:

Blue Exorcist 2 (once I watch first season)
Granblue Fantasy Got delayed until Spring season -_-

KonoSuba 2

Summer Leftovers:

Gundam IBO 2

Possibly Watching:
Chaos;Child

ēlDLIVE

Hand Shakers

OVA's/Specials/Movies:
Genocidal Organ

Sword Art Online Movie: Ordinal Scale

Not sure if I'd have time to watch all of them this coming season.

Still need to watch Blue Exorcist which has been sitting in my Plan to Watch section since it initially aired. So its sequel will at least have to wait until I watch it.

Hand Shakers seems like a cross between Guilty Crown and Project K; the former turned out to be shit and the latter is also still sitting in my Plan to Watch list so heh.

Chaos;Head was pretty shit, so don't expect C;C to be much better, but I have to check it out anyways because you know.

ēlDLIVE I'm on the fence about.

Grandblue Fantasy is the only one I'm kind of excited about but the preview makes the character designs look generic af so that's kind of disappointing right off the bat, but still.

• Like 2

• Koby pinned this topic

Damn, Rewrite season 2 is already coming out?! Well, will have to start that seen as S1 is so fresh.

Masamune-kun no Revenge and Kuzu no Honkai look right up my alley - the alley of school life and romance and slice of  life.

Ao no Exorcist is definitely on there as well and Chaos:Child looks good from the cover art ^_^ 

@Etzimal will be watching Super Lovers 2 because he has already seen the first season... 

17 hours ago, Koby said:

Rewrite S1 was such an utter mess of shit I do not even want to waste my time with S2.

It was so bad I had to finish watching it ... if that makes any sense. The ending was a "wtf" and I actually thought that would have been the story there if they didn't include the preview for S2.

Could of actually ended it there imho.

@Etzimal -  I had a feeling Idol Jihen and BanG Dream! were going to be in your list... I'm also not surprised that Urara Meirochou is in there as well >_> 
(Moodkiller hides all the loli's)

3 hours ago, Etzimal said:

Bad taste confirmed.

Quite the opposite actually. Saying you liked it confirms you have bad taste. It also shows you no longer have any basis to try and claim my taste is bad as you always attempt to do because I don't watch fanservice harem ecchi shows aimed at horny teenage virgin boys.

The show was massively panned everywhere, got the highest drop rate of the season it aired in, still has the highest drop rate of the whole year combined, and is cited as being the worst Key adaptation ever, while only managing to average a 6/10 vote which is the lowest score for a key adaptation. Even that mess of a show called Charlotte was better than Rewrite in every way and yet it was still bad itself.

You're literally the only person on the face of the planet I've seen comment in good spirit over the anime series. Rewrite was just a gigantic pile of crap with it's total lack of character development, lack of introduction to the plot, extremely rushed pacing, while still finding time to throw in filler, and it's utterly terrible wtf CGI monsters it had was probably the shittiest CGI animation of the decade.

There was literally not one good merit the show had going for it. People just kept watching it cause it was so bad they wanted to see how much worse it could get, while hoping that since it was Key, it would get better. Unfortunately it never did. I finished it though and gave it a 3/10 (very bad) on MAL which is the lowest I've scored anything that has aired this year.

The only reason it got another season is because it's Key so they have their fair share of loyal followers who'll watch it even if they think it is bad just because of that fact and Key knows it. After shows like Clannad, Kanon, and Angel Beats! people will continue to tune in hoping to see something on their level so Key doesn't have to worry about losing money even on bad shows.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Etzimal said:

I've come to accept @Koby and I have different tastes in anime. We like things for different reasons. I just enjoy what I watch the the best of my ability. Unless a show literally hurts to watch (Active Raid), I enjoy it. I don't look for a deeper meaning... what it should be, what it is, what it could've been... Stupid tropes and predictable plots, dumb harems, etc... none of it bothers me. Just enjoy it and appreciate that it can take my mind off the troubles plaguing my life.

Plus, I just tease Koby about his taste. :3 

I think Etzi and I have similar, if not the same, tastes. xD 

21 minutes ago, NeutralHatred said:

I think Etzi and I have similar, if not the same, tastes. xD 

Most teen-aged virgin males do which is also who the majority of anime these days are created for. Hence the overwhelming amount of ecchi fanservice series with no substance other than loli, moe, and tsundere female character designs with an underdeveloped personality. ;)

I avoid those types of shows, so I'm automatically labeled by the majority of anime fans as the one with 'bad taste', because I grew out of watching those types of shows years ago when I realized boobs (or the lack-thereof) and panty shots do not make a show. I prefer shows with actual plot that makes you feel like you've really invested in the story, similar to reading a book.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Koby said:

Most teen-aged virgin males do which is also who the majority of anime these days are created for. Hence the overwhelming amount of ecchi fanservice series with no substance other than loli, moe, and tsundere female character designs with an underdeveloped personality. ;)

I avoid those types of shows, so I'm automatically labeled by the majority of anime fans as the one with 'bad taste', because I grew out of watching those types of shows years ago when I realized boobs (or the lack-thereof) and panty shots do not make a show. I prefer shows with actual plot that makes you feel like you've really invested in the story, similar to reading a book.

I'm actually 7 days younger than you, Koby. :) I've actually outgrown most fanservice/ecchi shows lately, despite only really being big into anime for ~4 years now.

My taste mostly revolves around a good comedy. I like a good series with a compelling plot but, most of the time, I like SoL. Simply because I'm a big gamer and work a full time job so, I don't have a lot of time to binge a series. I can watch an episode or two then head off to work without much worry of being stuck on a cliffhanger.

Another major reason for my taste is for my emotional problem(s), mainly Depression. I use comedy anime as a way to coop with it since I can't afford to see a doctor and actually try to find something that'll help me. I typically try to watch something before work so it'll put me in a good mood for work. I listen to anime music/Vocaloid as well on the way in to further improve it.

4 hours ago, Koby said:

xD  @Koby burning teens left and right , although I was referring to Guilty Crown and Chaos;Heads (I can understand the critic for this show though, but I played the VN so I kinda liked it anyway :P Call it Nostalgia).

Sadly though you have a point, the plots need to make a comeback!

5 hours ago, Etzimal said:

I've come to accept @Koby and I have different tastes in anime. We like things for different reasons. I just enjoy what I watch the the best of my ability. Unless a show literally hurts to watch (Active Raid), I enjoy it. I don't look for a deeper meaning... what it should be, what it is, what it could've been... Stupid tropes and predictable plots, dumb harems, etc... none of it bothers me. Just enjoy it and appreciate that it can take my mind off the troubles plaguing my life.

Amen!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

blue exorcist 2 is supposed to continue the story after ep 17 when the show went all filler...so are they gonna start it like ep 18-25 never really happened or are they gonna work that into the new show? For people who have read the manga it wont matter too much but for those who haven't its gonna be kinda confusing. One thing in particular is Rin's relationship with everyone. It was terrible when they went to Kyoto but in the filler arc in season one they already patched this up. people are gonna be like why is everyone treating him like shit again?

On 11/9/2016 at 0:51 PM, NeutralHatred said:

My taste mostly revolves around a good comedy. I like a good series with a compelling plot but, most of the time, I like SoL. Simply because I'm a big gamer and work a full time job so, I don't have a lot of time to binge a series. I can watch an episode or two then head off to work without much worry of being stuck on a cliffhanger.

My problem with comedy anime is that I rarely find Japanese comedy funny. The majority use the exact same setup for their jokes (ex: Naruto constantly stepping in poop during fillers, Sunohara in Clannad always getting kicked across the room), and most of it boils down to some guy ending up kicked in the face by some Tsundere for doing something. The few that are funny (that aren't just some quick action/reaction to something), typically either required TL Notes to grasp the concept of (which by then has lost it's humor), or they've completely changed the joke so that English audiences will get it right off, which meant it's really no longer true to the source.

This is why I'm extremely selective when it comes to watching these types of shows; because you can easily get burned out watching the same thing over and over. Some of my favorites in the Genre include Genshiken and Minami-ke. I guess looking back at my watch history; most of the comedy anime I ended up enjoying the most were of the parody comedy sub-genre.

26 minutes ago, popcan37 said:

blue exorcist 2 is supposed to continue the story after ep 17 when the show went all filler...so are they gonna start it like ep 18-25 never really happened or are they gonna work that into the new show? For people who have read the manga it wont matter too much but for those who haven't its gonna be kinda confusing. One thing in particular is Rin's relationship with everyone. It was terrible when they went to Kyoto but in the filler arc in season one they already patched this up. people are gonna be like why is everyone treating him like shit again?

I'm not really sure how they're gonna go about this. They could as you said, ignore the filler arc altogether, which would be most ideal.... but they may just continue from where it left off and allow the filler to alter stuff in the actual canon; as in maintain the relationship status set in the filler arc. We won't know which route they go until it comes out though unfortunately. So at this point it's just anybodies guess. :/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koby said:

My problem with comedy anime is that I rarely find Japanese comedy funny. The majority use the exact same setup for their jokes (ex: Naruto constantly stepping in poop during fillers, Sunohara in Clannad always getting kicked across the room), and most of it boils down to some guy ending up kicked in the face by some Tsundere for doing something. The few that are funny (that aren't just some quick action/reaction to something), typically either required TL Notes to grasp the concept of (which by then has lost it's humor), or they've completely changed the joke so that English audiences will get it right off, which meant it's really no longer true to the source.

This is why I'm extremely selective when it comes to watching these types of shows; because you can easily get burned out watching the same thing over and over. Some of my favorites in the Genre include Genshiken and Minami-ke. I guess looking back at my watch history; most of the comedy anime I ended up enjoying the most were of the parody comedy sub-genre.

Slap-stick, I guess is what it's called. Parody doesn't usually do it for me, mainly due to the fact it references other anime and, as I stated earlier, I've only really been into anime for the last few years and I skipped over the big titles, like Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, most of Dragon Ball, Neon Genesis Evangelion, ect.

I am somewhat picky with the SoL genre, though. It has to have key elements or I'm bored of it halfway through the first episode. Nichijou was one of those popular ones. I could barely finish one episode, though. Azumanga Daioh being another. I did give it a chance, about a dozen or so episodes, but I lost interest. It may have been the dub, though. Who knows. It has to have certain delivery on the comedy, or else I find it boring. For me, it's more or less the reaction to something, be it a stupid or spontaneous thing that just happened. 

Currently, I'm watching Nyaruko: Crawling With Love, which is a parody. The delivery and responses are what make this show enjoyable to me. The over-the-top character, the one who wants nothing to do with said character, and then you've got your shy, quiet type who does things you would not expect from a shy, quiet type. Given the fact it is a parody, some scenes are lost on me as I may not get the reference, though. But it isn't too heavy on it. It really is the silliness of the show. One show, by the way, I'll admit that would not do to be dubbed. Some Japanese VAs can't be replaced, in my honest opinion.

Maybe I just have bad taste. I might just be a simple guy with simple tastes. *shrug* 

Edited by NeutralHatred

The anime I'm looking forward to next season are:

ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen

ChäoS;Child

ēlDLIVE

Hand Shakers

Little Witch Academia (TV)

One Punch Man 2

Sword Gai

Tales of Zestiria the X (2017)

Yowamushi Pedal: New Generation

There might be more, you never know :)

1 hour ago, bid40717 said:

ChäoS;Child looks certainly like something i'd love to watch day one :o !

Title itself makes me even think of steins;gate somehow

Chaos;Child is a sequel to Chaos;Head which was the first anime made by the creator who made them. Robotic;Notes, Steins;Gate, and Occultic;Nine are other series by the same guy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Koby unpinned this topic