Nintendo Switch

Dervell

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE NINTENDO SWITCH

Share.
The Switch will hit stores on March 3, 2017 at $299.99 USD.

BY CHLOI RAD The Nintendo Switch conference gave us plenty of new information about Nintendo’s upcoming system, as well as first- and third-party games headed to the platform.

Here’s everything that was announced at the Nintendo Switch event.

Nintendo Switch Price, Release Date, Specs, and More

A release date and price for the Nintendo Switch were finally announced. The Nintendo Switch will launch on March 3, 2017 simultaneously in Japan, the US, Canada, “major European countries,” Hong Kong, and “other territories” at a suggested retail price of $299.99 USD. (That’s 29,980 yen, if you care!)

Switch Box

Besides the Nintendo Switch console itself, the system comes with the L and R Joy-Con controllers, Joy-Con wrist straps, the Joy-Con grip, the Nintendo Switch dock, an HDMI cable, and an AC adapter. There is one model with gray controllers, and another model with one neon red and one neon blue, which will be the same suggested retail price. The Pro controller is sold separately.

Check out our Nintendo Switch pre-order guide for everything you need to know to secure your Nintendo Switch early.

SwitchImage

The Switch has 32GB of internal memory, which can be expanded using microSDXC cards. The screen is a 6.2-inch, "multi-touch capacitative touch screen" which can support a resolution of 1280 x 720. While the tablet is 720p, it can switch to 1080p when docked and outputting to a TV.

Find more details about Nintendo Switch hardware specs on our Nintendo Switch wiki.

Nintendo Switch Online Services

Online services for the Nintendo Switch will let you invite friends to play games online, set “play appointments,” chat, and more.

According to Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima, Nintendo has “revised its approach” to region locking. Kimishima stated: “[We] decided that in general, we will not apply region locking to Nintendo Switch software.”

Users will be able to test out some Nintendo Switch online services for free during a post-launch trial period. It will become a paid service starting in Fall 2017.

Nintendo Switch Playstyles

Nintendo went into more detail about the Switch’s versatile “playstyles” shown off in its initial preview video from last October.

TV mode lets you play on the TV in “typical” video game fashion, tabletop mode lets you stand the Nintendo Switch tablet on a surface using its kickstand, which is then played with the detached Joy-Con controllers. The portable handheld mode is played by attaching the left and right Joy-Con controllers to the system.

You can also connect up to eight Nintendo Switch consoles together for local multiplayer.

The Nintendo Switch's battery life varies by game, according to Nintendo, but will last between 2.5 hours to 6.5 hours.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con Controllers

The Joy-Con controllers, which also come in red and blue color schemes, have a few basic setups. The “basic” controller mode is when both the left and right controllers are attached to the Joy-Con grip, which can be used to play games in TV mode. But the two controllers can also function as individual controllers — you can hand one to a friend to play certain multiplayer games.

Joycon Controllers.

Joycon Controllers.

The controllers include A, B, X, Y buttons, as well as L and R buttons and a Home button. (Attachable wrist straps add more prominent L and R buttons.) Each controller has an analog stick that also functions as a button. A new, square “capture” button can be used to capture screenshots of gameplay which you can share on social media. In the future, you’ll be able to use this to capture video footage too, according to Nintendo.

Both Joy-Con controllers include accelerometers, gyrosensors, and an “HD rumble system” that adds new levels of sensitivity to motion-based gameplay. The R controller also has a motion-IR camera that can sense the shape, motion, and distance of objects in front of it. Head to our Nintendo Switch wiki page for more on the Joy-Con controllers.

Nintendo also revealed prices for the individual Nintendo Switch controller sets, accessories, and other peripherals. That's $79.99 for the controller set, $49.99 for the individual L and R controllers, $69.99 for the Pro controller, $29.99 for the charging grip, and $89.99 for the Nintendo Switch dock set.

New Nintendo Switch Game Announcements

A handful of new games were announced for the Nintendo Switch. The first two were 1-2-Switch and Arms, both multiplayer games that take advantage of the unique functionality of the Joy-Con controllers.

1-2-Switch, a motion-controlled competitive game that can be played without looking at a screen, launches on March 3 alongside the Switch. Arms, a motion-controlled combat game that lets you play split-screen against a friend, against an AI, local multiplayer with multiple Switch consoles, and eventually online, will be released this Spring.

Splatoon 2 was announced, bringing new weapons, new special weapons, and new battle stages. It will be playable with the Joy-Con controllers, the “Pro” controller, in TV mode, or in handheld mode. Both modes have gyro control functionality. It launches this Summer.

Super Mario Odyssey was also announced, a brand new 3D platformer featuring Mario in environments like a sprawling, modern day city apparently (and incredibly) named NEW DONK CITY, a forest, a desert, and a colorful low-poly world. According to producer Yoshiaki Koizumi, Super Mario Odyssey is all about Mario “journey[ing] to an unknown world.” It is planned for release this holiday season, 2017.

Other new games mentioned include Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, a new Shin Megami Tensei, Project Octopath Traveler from Square Enix, possibly a new No More Heroes (Suda51 announced that Travis Touchdown will be “making his return on Nintendo Switch”), and a whole lot more.

Stick with us as we continue to update the growing list of Nintendo Switch games, or head over to our Nintendo Switch wiki for our constantly updated list of confirmed Nintendo Switch games.

New Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Trailer and Release Date

A new Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild trailer was shown, which you can see below.

A release date for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was finally announced. It launches on March 3, 2017 alongside the Switch. A super special edition called The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Master Edition was also announced for $129.99, and a standard special edition for $99.99.

breathofthewild

Disgaea 5, Street Fighter II, Dragon Quest Heroes, I Am Setsuna Get Switch Ports

posted on 2017-01-13 04:51 EST
Also: Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Sonic Mania, Super Bomberman R

Nintendo revealed during its livestream presentation and on its Switch website on Friday that a number of games from various developers will get ports to its new Switch platform. These games include:

• Dragon Quest Heroes I (March 3 in Japan)
  • Dragon Quest Heroes II (March 3 in Japan)
  • Dragon Quest X
  • Sonic Mania (spring 2017)
  • Super Bomberman R (March 3 in Japan, March in English)
  • I Am Setsuna (March 3 in Japan, March in English)
  • Disgaea 5 Complete (March 3 in Japan, spring in English)
  • Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (release date undecided)
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (temporary title, release date undecided)
  • Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power Up Kit (March 3 in Japan)
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII with Power Up Kit (March in Japan)

Dragon Quest Heroes I and II

Square Enix released Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below in Japan in February 2015 for the PS3 and PS4. Square Enix then released the game in North America and Europe in October 2015. The second game shipped in Japan last May.

Sonic Mania

Sega is developing Sonic Mania with Christian Whitehead, Headcannon, and PagodaWest Games. The "2D platforming high speed adventure" game will feature new zones and remixed classic levels, and players can play as Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles. The game is also shipping on PS4, Xbox One, and PC in spring, The game celebrates the franchise's 25th anniversary.

Super Bomberman R

The game is based on the Super Bomberman SNES game, and features new graphics, boss battles, and an eight-player mode.

I Am Setsuna

In Japan, I Am Setsuna is titled Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna (Setsuna of Sacrifice and Snow), and shipped last February for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita in Japan, and last July for the PS4 and PC in the West.

Disgaea 5 Complete

Disgaea 5 Complete includes all the DLC content from the game's PlayStation 4 version. The original game shipped in March 2015 in Japan, and October 2015 in the West.

The official website for the Switch also has an image featuring logos for the following titles and franchises: Tales of series, Taiko Drum Master, "Project Sonic 2017," A Story of Seasons (Bokujō Monogatari), Derby Stallion, BlazBlue, and Arcade Archives. The list also includes the previously announced Dragon Quest XI. Nintendo hasn't announced a Western release for Dragon Quest XI.

3rd-party.png.jpg

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-13/disgaea-5-street-fighter-ii-dragon-quest-heroes-i-am-setsuna-get-switch-ports/.110995

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/13/everything-we-know-about-nintendo-switch

• Like 1

IDK...maybe I'm the wrong audience at this point?

The Switch has officially become a 'wait till BF 2018' deal.

I WAS so excited for it but between the nutty cost of the controllers (and other peripherals) to the nonexistent on-board memory (seriously...Mirco-SD? In the age of 50GB games?) to a paid internet service that (Given Nintendo's history) will be lackluster AT BEST.

Plus, only like THREE NEW games worth buying in the first year?

Yeah...GG Nintendo.

WiiU was the first Nintendo system I didn't care about and skipped...
-I STILL have a Virtual Boy in a box, somewhere. XD

The Switch will be the second, unless there's a hell of a good deal, or support, in a year or two on the system.
:|

57 minutes ago, Hayato said:

Any word when they'll be back in stock?

No clue. Apparently most of the online and in-store ones soldout on Saturday for the US. Maybe they might open up a few more a little bit at a time. I've just signed up to be notified by email if BestBuy or Amazon puts them up for sale again.

Still interested in it, but they did make a few choices I know will probably get backlash from the "hardcores". I hate that they've continued the trend of only allowing limited preorders on things instead of doing a manufactured on demand type set up. The systems will no doubt be restocked periodically as manufacturing allows, mainly referring to the LoZ Special and Master editions. The controller prices are ludicrous, but the fact most games for local 2 player will allow the pack in controls to work for 2, it's not all bad. It's better than forcing someone to buy 4 consoles like all other handhelds. I hope more games get released this year, I think some are waiting to announce later releases at E3. If it continues to sell this well after release, future support from 3rd parties shouldn't be an issue. I do question how many will end up ever using the controller camera sensors in their games.

At least the paid online won't start until next year which means Splatoon's online won't suffer greatly at launch. Great for me, because I'll play the heck out of that. I wish Nintendo followed other gaming industry practices like bigger launch line ups or 3rd party controller support for their console's main device not just the pro controllers (but that's never going to happen, just look at those joycon specs). However, as someone who knows they'll enjoy most if not all of the 1st party titles to come out on the Switch it will always be a must buy whenever a new Nintendo console comes out. The price seems pretty fair considering, if my memory serves right, it's only 50$ more than the 3DS at launch. Conscious buyers should definitely wait for a sale or BF, because I see this very much being a repeat of the WiiU's launch reception.

[Fingers crossed they pull something crazy out of nowhere though. <3 Nintendo]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, PhantomKnight said:

Preorders are back up on Bestbuy.

Just snagged a gray version along with Zelda BOTW

Same here. They only had the gray joy-con version (I really wanted the neon version) but I'll live. I might grab Zelda from Amazon due to the 20% prime discount. Now, which limited edition should I get...

4 hours ago, deanzel said:

Same here. They only had the gray joy-con version (I really wanted the neon version) but I'll live. I might grab Zelda from Amazon due to the 20% prime discount. Now, which limited edition should I get...

I got my copy from bestbuy as they also have a membership of 20% off new games and other bonuses

12 hours ago, PhantomKnight said:

I got my copy from bestbuy as they also have a membership of 20% off new games and other bonuses

Yeah, I don't have a GCU card/membership so I'm trying to get it off of Amazon. However, BestBuy has the Special Edition of Zelda BotW for preorder while Amazon does not, so I'm tempted to maybe get a GCU card. I at least need a case for my Switch and that Zelda case looks so dank...

On 2/3/2017 at 9:35 PM, PhantomKnight said:

I was going to pick up a GCU membership ($30 for two years) because I thought that it included 20% off video game accessories as well, but I guess that I'm wrong about that. Now, I'm not too sure. What are some of the other perks? Do they usually send coupons with any regularity?