Catar

The CTR Index - Your new home for GLORIOUS bloated best quality dual-audio releases!

Hey @Catar offtopic question for you but seeing as you're a bit of a wise legend in the realm of muxing/MKVs you might be able to help me with my oh fuck, I might have to redownload 5TB of releases...

I used a program called MetaX to quickly overwrite MKV file titles in my whole collection (some releases have silly titles). Took an hour to do it. I've just noticed it looks like it's nuked all font attachments for EVERYTHING. It adds global tags to MKVs without the need to remux. Can font attachments get corrupted/still somehow be there, or if the attachments section in MKVToolnix is blank are the fonts nuked? Filesizes of the files between untouched download and ran through MetaX appear similar (although I know fonts only tend to be a few mbs). 

Ah well, if nothing else let this be a lesson for any onlookers in here not to use MetaX for MKV tagging. It appears it strips fonts. I genuinely have my whole collection to redownload if fonts are indeed gone ¬¬xD

Edited by Audioboxer

ouch. i dont know the program, but upload a sample to check out and see if fonts are still there.

if they're gone you can try to rename again the files and rehash torrents, in case its  repairable

Edited by sfaxt
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

Hey @Catar offtopic question for you but seeing as you're a bit of a wise legend in the realm of muxing/MKVs you might be able to help me with my oh fuck, I might have to redownload 5TB of releases...

I used a program called MetaX to quickly overwrite MKV file titles in my whole collection (some releases have silly titles). Took an hour to do it. I've just noticed it looks like it's nuked all font attachments for EVERYTHING. It adds global tags to MKVs without the need to remux. Can font attachments get corrupted/still somehow be there, or if the attachments section in MKVToolnix is blank are the fonts nuked? Filesizes of the files between untouched download and ran through MetaX appear similar (although I know fonts only tend to be a few mbs). 

Ah well, if nothing else let this be a lesson for any onlookers in here not to use MetaX for MKV tagging. It appears it strips fonts. I genuinely have my whole collection to redownload if fonts are indeed gone ¬¬xD

Hmm... that sounds painful. If indeed no fonts appear in mkvmerge when you drop the files back in after being run through MetaX, I would say they are gone/corrupted.

The only property editor I have used is JMkvpropedit (GUI for mkvpropedit compiled in Java) - https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163753. Bit more a manual effort but you could do a series at a time.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sfaxt said:

ouch. i dont know the program, but upload a sample to check out and see if fonts are still there.

if they're gone you can try to rename again the files and rehash torrents, in case its  repairable

39 minutes ago, Moodkiller said:

Hmm... that sounds painful. If indeed no fonts appear in mkvmerge when you drop the files back in after being run through MetaX, I would say they are gone/corrupted.

The only property editor I have used is JMkvpropedit (GUI for mkvpropedit compiled in Java) - https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163753. Bit more a manual effort but you could do a series at a time.

Yeah, I'd need to rename files too for torrents as I also used filebot for naming for Kodi lol. That would be slow and painful but still quicker than redownloading everything. I saw I could use a property editor like that, but read MetaX is easier to use and quicker. It is. It just seems to nuke MKV attachments for some reason. So I guess the question I could ask is it possible to actually remove fonts/attachments from an MKV file without remuxing? If it is, then yeah, seems MetaX has actually removed them and not just somehow corrupted them.

I have a few hundred GB of torrents I leave seeding for a while until I shuffle them/remove them to free up hard drive space. So I'm not starting from 0 again. I still have lots to replace though :(

Edited by Audioboxer

I normally use qBittorent but I've installed uTorrent 2.2.1 to use the relocate file option. It seems I can avoid having to rename all the files, but I do need to relocate each one in a torrent. For example on the files I've relocated just there they are showing as 99.7~99.9% complete.

It's still going to be a slooooooow process of fixing all these broken files if the fonts are missing. Some things I will need to redownload fully as they weren't obtained through torrents.

I'd still be interested to know if anyone knows if it's possible to remove attachments, such as fonts, completely, without remuxing an MKV. Or if they are simply corrupted, somehow. MetaX literally takes a second per file to retag the MKV file title.

Edited by Audioboxer

@Audioboxer

I'm not at my computer right now to check and see if this is possible, but if MetaX does not remux the files then maybe it just disabled attachments in the MKV header. 

Load up a file in MKVtoolnix's Header Editor and check the flags to see if something like this has happened.

Edited by ThePJzer
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThePJzer said:

@Audioboxer

I'm not at my computer right now to check and see if this is possible, but if MetaX does not remux the files then maybe it just disabled attachments in the MKV header. 

Load up a file in MKVtoolnix's Header Editor and check the flags to see if something like this has happened.

Attachments section shows blank. It appears you can delete attachments without remuxing

https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvpropedit.html#mkvpropedit.attachment_selectors

$ mkvpropedit movie.mkv --delete-attachment mime-type:application/x-truetype-font

Seems the shitty application removes all attachments for no reason xD Ah well, this is a painful lesson. Thankfully as above uTorrent and relocating renamed files is allowing me to repair some of this collection through redownloading 0.1~1% chunks rather than whole releases. I like my bloat, so CTR releases, as well as all the other contributors of 1080p/FLAC on this website, are my collection!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

Attachments section shows blank.

Well damn, that sucks.

I just read through the MetaX Help.pdf and it states that it has to rewrite the file to add meta data, so there are options to Keep Original File or Auto Delete ect.

So it would appear that it is indeed demuxing and remuxing in the background. Didn't see anything regarding attachments in the help file either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThePJzer said:

Well damn, that sucks.

I just read through the MetaX Help.pdf and it states that it has to rewrite the file to add meta data, so there are options to Keep Original File or Auto Delete ect.

So it would appear that it is indeed demuxing and remuxing in the background. Didn't see anything regarding attachments in the help file either. 

Yeah, it's my fault! It's a pretty powerful/handy tool, but I've not set it up right. 

@Audioboxer sounds like the attachments were certainly nuked. What I'd recommend as a method of restoring without having to download tons of video/audio you still have is to use MKVToolnix's Header Editor and go trawling through AnimeTosho for the attachments, since they scrape them and have them as a nice small separate download. The header editor will allow you to attach (or remove) files without remuxing the file entirely, which will save you a ton of time and disk activity.

Still going to be an awful manual trawl, but at least it'll speed it up a bit and save you a ton of bandwidth.

• Like 2

wow. idk how many times ive downloaded a release just for subs and attachments to use with another raw xD well not too many but more than 20:P

thanks a bunch

Edited by sfaxt

15 hours ago, Catar said:

@Audioboxer sounds like the attachments were certainly nuked. What I'd recommend as a method of restoring without having to download tons of video/audio you still have is to use MKVToolnix's Header Editor and go trawling through AnimeTosho for the attachments, since they scrape them and have them as a nice small separate download. The header editor will allow you to attach (or remove) files without remuxing the file entirely, which will save you a ton of time and disk activity.

Still going to be an awful manual trawl, but at least it'll speed it up a bit and save you a ton of bandwidth.

The torrent "relocate file and force re-check" route is working fine for most of what I have. Nearly all of it is available on torrents. Some things I've muxed/edited myself and other things are on filehosts only (grrr at new-ish Mega 5GB cap). I'm slowly getting there. I'm doing a little clearing out as I go along as well, and even found that I had missed a few v2 files. Or is the case around here, v5/6/7 :P

Edited by Audioboxer

Just another thought, you could go the route of attachment downloading from AnimeTosho, but instead of muxing them back into the mkv, just install  all the fonts on your system ^_^. That would save you the most time, but would be a huge compromise in terms of completeness of files etc etc. I wonder if MetaX doesnt remove attachments on principle (as if you were editing a picture file or sometimes a music file, you wouldn't need/want attachments in those files)?

31 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

Or is the case around here, v5/6/7 :P

Is wasn't supposed to be a trend that caught on...

• Like 1

Almost sorted everything now, phew. Found some files needing to be upgraded, and I tossed a few old releases.

Only thing I'm struggling to get downloaded again is ShaqSalazar's Black Lagoon release. His/her encodes are a bit sucky due to putting encoded text over the intros, but Black Lagoon has hardly any 10bit good audio releases. This release is DTS/TRUEHD. I know Catar isn't doing requests for now, but it would be good if someone could eventually tackle Black Lagoon. There is some decent raws seeded here https://beatrice-raws.org/release/black-lagoon-1080p, but not completed yet. Other completed option https://nyaa.si/view/652125 and https://nyaa.si/view/773251

It's a fun bombastic show, I don't get some of the hate :P Dub is great!

Edited by Audioboxer

11 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

Almost sorted everything now, phew. Found some files needing to be upgraded, and I tossed a few old releases.

Only thing I'm struggling to get downloaded again is ShaqSalazar's Black Lagoon release. His/her encodes are a bit sucky due to putting encoded text over the intros, but Black Lagoon has hardly any 10bit good audio releases. This release is DTS/TRUEHD. I know Catar isn't doing requests for now, but it would be good if someone could eventually tackle Black Lagoon. There is some decent raws seeded here https://beatrice-raws.org/release/black-lagoon-1080p, but not completed yet. Other completed option https://nyaa.si/view/652125 and https://nyaa.si/view/773251

It's a fun bombastic show, I don't get some of the hate :P Dub is great!

Great dub, but I found the show to be pretty boring, sorry. That said, Black Lagoon was one I would have done a long time ago, but it's always been one of Koby's passion projects and he was working on his own encode for a Kametsu release, so I never touched it. 

• Like 1

ShaqSalazar release is bad. well when i checked black lagoon back then and lleur dual 720p was a good, budget, encode but torrent probably dead by now. personally I grabbed yousei from rutracker and 640 ac3 dub  from a random tpb torrent. though  salender  is newer encode  and may be great, better than yousei if you can find it.  but I like yousei's encode a lot even if its 8 bit  and old, so i dont care. I like it more than fresh beatrice S1 tbh, colors seem bit strange to me, while i love yousei colors. might be a matter of habbit though. I think koby  said he  waits beatrice to finish it, to evaluate it as a source

Edited by sfaxt
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sfaxt said:

ShaqSalazar release is bad. well when i checked black lagoon back then and lleur dual 720p was a good, budget, encode but torrent probably dead by now. personally I grabbed yousei from rutracker and 640 ac3 dub  from a random tpb torrent. though  salender  is newer encode  and may be great, better than yousei if you can find it.  but I like yousei's encode a lot even if its 8 bit  and old, so i dont care. I like it more than fresh beatrice S1 tbh, colors seem bit strange to me, while i love yousei colors. might be a matter of habbit though. I think koby  said he  waits beatrice to finish it, to evaluate it as a source

IMO Beatrice's new 10-bit is the best. If you're seeing color discrepancies between 10-bit and 8-bit encodes culled from the same source, you probably have a configuration issue, or need to use a different player. For instance, VLC will render color differently for 8-bit and 10-bit video that would otherwise appear identical if played back in a more capable player like MPC with LAV filters.

For anyone interested, I just compared the first episode from the Salender-Raws encode against Beatrice-Raws and the Beatrice wins hands-down. I think the following comparison pretty well sums it up: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118618

Hopefully Beatrice will finish encoding the rest of the series soon!

Edited by blondvillain
  • Like 1

well  i was talking about yousei. i dont have salender so I cant compare, but imo by no means a yousei encode can be called poor by any standards. and difference may be attributed to a variety of more normal reasons. and I'm kinda very advanced user of mpc. i dont even know if its the same source, after all they have ~7 yrs diff.  but I never said  beatrice isn't better, since its newer and I said it's probably a matter of habit. but anyway after a certain lvl of quality things become tad subjective. I've watched BL on dvds and yousei's here and there, and I just meant that Beatrice ep1, feels a bit different compared to what I'm used to-- it might be that I like BL dirtier xD, and I can't say i have any complaints from yousei encode to make the jump.  when jensen finishes the job ill check again more thoroughly

------------------ bonus beatrice just finished Kobayashi's Dragon Maid xD

Edited by sfaxt

8 hours ago, blondvillain said:

IMO Beatrice's new 10-bit is the best. If you're seeing color discrepancies between 10-bit and 8-bit encodes culled from the same source, you probably have a configuration issue, or need to use a different player. For instance, VLC will render color differently for 8-bit and 10-bit video that would otherwise appear identical if played back in a more capable player like MPC with LAV filters.

For anyone interested, I just compared the first episode from the Salender-Raws encode against Beatrice-Raws and the Beatrice wins hands-down. I think the following comparison pretty well sums it up: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118618

Hopefully Beatrice will finish encoding the rest of the series soon!

Can confirm the ShaqSalazar release looks like the lines on the worse picture above. Maybe even a bit worse than Salender-Raws.

As I said above I mainly got it for 10bit and as it has high quality audio. I think the OCZ release is just AC3. Hopefully @Koby gets around to it one day!

12 hours ago, sfaxt said:

well  i was talking about yousei.

Yeah absolutely, YR is always decent and I have quite of few of their video encodes archived. I was just mentioning the SR comparison because it was in the discussion.

I can't remember if I ever looked at YR's encode for the main series episodes, but I did have their encode of the OVA eps and I replaced them with BR's encode which I deemed superior when it was released, so the comparison probably holds true for main series as well.

7 hours ago, Audioboxer said:

Hopefully @Koby gets around to it one day!

If he doesn't, I've got the episodes BR has completed so far muxed with styled subs from OCZ's release, FLAC audio, and retail PGS. Pretty sure I acquired TrueHD and retail subs from ShaqSalazar's release.

So anyways, once BR finishes encoding, I'll publish my work if Koby doesn't already have dibs.

Edited by blondvillain
  • Like 3