Console or PC?

Moar-Chan

Console or PC?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Console or PC?

• PC
    • Console

6 minutes ago, DarkGanta said:

Console. PCs are too expensive to get a good "gaming" machine. Plus, consoles have the exclusives I like.

What? Consoles are like $400... You can easily by a 4-core AMD gaming machine that could play most games on decent enough settings for that if you build it yourself. If you really wanted to go out with max settings, you'd just need to upgrade a gfx card from that price point, since the gfx card is where it's mostly at with gaming settings.

But most people should have a capable system anyhow whether they game or not now days since PCs typically play a major point in peoples lives. I don't even game much at all, yet my PC is more than powerful enough to handle any games I've tried on max settings; and I built this PC for about $750. The only way you'd spend an arm and a leg really is if you opt to go top of the line or use Intel which costs way more than AMD typically.

And exclusives? Eh, I'm pretty sure X-BOX no longer has exclusives that aren't ported to PC. I could be wrong, but I believe I remember reading up about that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Koby said:

What? Consoles are like $400... You can easily by a 4-core AMD gaming machine that could play most games on decent enough settings for that if you build it yourself. If you really wanted to go out with max settings, you'd just need to upgrade a gfx card from that price point, since the gfx card is where it's mostly at with gaming settings.

And exclusives? Eh, I'm pretty sure X-BOX no longer has exclusives that aren't ported to PC. I could be wrong, but I believe I remember reading up about that.

I'm talking about true "gaming" rigs that play every new game out there. Also, if you don't buy a console brand new on day one they're not $400. Also, who said anything about the Crap Box One? I'm talking about good exclusives like the Nintendo/Sony systems, lol.

24 minutes ago, DarkGanta said:

I'm talking about true "gaming" rigs that play every new game out there. Also, if you don't buy a console brand new on day one they're not $400. Also, who said anything about the Crap Box One? I'm talking about good exclusives like the Nintendo/Sony systems, lol.

On Amazon the PS4 after all this time, is still $350. So that's a very small difference and like I said... with a gfx card upgrade that PC should be fully capable of playing every new game out there, so you'd really only be looking at upwards of $600 depending on how much of an upgrade you're willing to go which is still cheaper than buying two or three consoles every few years. In the end, next gen, it's cheaper to do some PC upgrades than it is to continually buy new-gen consoles regardless of what you initially put into the cost of the build, it'll eventually make up for itself. We obviously have different opinions and likely won't agree, but from where I'm standing Gaming PCs are actually much cheaper in the grand scheme compared to buying new consoles every couple years.

In my case though, this gen has had 0 exclusives I was interested in thus far, so I haven't even bothered to buy any console.

• Like 1

Just went on Amazon and found a PS4 right at the top used for 249.99 free shipping. Wii U's are only 225 new at gamestop with Mario 3d world included. Really after everything is calculated it's not significantly cheaper either way, it's all about preferences. I prefer to just plug and play consoles and save my PC for surfing the web and downloading awesome videos like on kametsu. Down with elitists :P (not saying you're one btw, just a lot of people who are opinionated on this subject are).

4 minutes ago, DarkGanta said:

Just went on Amazon and found a PS4 right at the top used for 249.99 free shipping. Wii U's are only 225 new at gamestop with Mario 3d world included. Really after everything is calculated it's not significantly cheaper either way, it's all about preferences. I prefer to just plug and play consoles and save my PC for surfing the web and downloading awesome videos like on kametsu. Down with elitists :P (not saying you're one btw, just a lot of people who are opinionated on this subject are).

I wouldn't say consoles are plug-n-play honestly. Not since the PS2 era. Every time I turn on my PS3 it has 30+ minutes of updating it has to do first. Then every time I put a new game in, it has to download & install updates for that game or something and I have to login to PSN for it to be able to do such, otherwise it just tells me some error about stuff not being up-to-date.

And like you said that's the price of a used PS4. Well we were discussing new prices and Nintendo is always cheaper because they don't focus on high-end graphics or being able to be an entire entertainment package like a PS4 tries to be.

• Like 1

I was just meaning prices in general (though I wouldn't trust a used computer from someone I didn't know). I haven't had any long updates for my PS3/PS4 (though I don't play PS4 much) though installs are pretty bad sometimes. PC install everything though (albeit faster) so it's about same either way. Wii U has like non of those issues (except downloading updates on first play is kinda slow). After initial update it auto downloads and installs while asleep when not used so that's really nice. TBH I mainly play my Wii U above all else, it's library is smaller but better IMO. I played so much Hyrule Warriors, it's great! I like some exclusives on PS4 though too like Until Dawn, which is great for horror fans.

Off topic, has anyone seen this three console bundle on Gamestops website? Wii U, Xbone, and PS4 (used of course) for 750, just came across it while looking at prices on PS4s. Who would just be browsing and be like "yes, I want all three consoles right now"? Sorry, but it made me laugh.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I prefer PC. Yes it can be harder to set up (more settings, different configurations, etc.) but I feel the reward for it is greater than with a console. There are still some exclusives on consoles that I would like to play (and I'm seriously considering getting a Switch), but I use my PC for lots of things other than gaming (which justifies the higher price) so I'm sticking with PC.

• 3 weeks later...