Jump to content
NeutralHatred

Advice on New GPU

Recommended Posts

I'm not highly advanced in hardware so, here's list of my current build. Assuming I'm not forgetting anything in that list; should give anyone a general idea of my PC.

 

Today, Doom was released and a couple weeks ago, Battleborn was released. The latter, I've been able to run on high with no issues, even though my GeForce Experience is telling me to put it on low... could just be the program; seems buggy at times. However, for Doom, I have to put it on Medium (with a few settings at low or off such as shadows and blur. The latter I generally turn off anyway just because no thanks). In doing so, I can maintain a solid 40-43 FPS. It still looks good but, I'm beginning to think my card may be coming up due for an upgrade. Dying Light is actually at high settings but with a few tweaks and that will occasionally have some video freeze ups at times. That could just be optimization on the developers end, despite the game being designed with Nvidia hardware, which is odd...

 

As you can see in the list, I'm using a GTX 660 which has served me very well for a few years. So, I'm hoping for some ideas on an upgraded card, assuming that may be my issue. As I stated, I'm not that great with hardware, especially graphics cards. I suppose I could try using two cards as well. Though, given the age of my card, I'd probably be better off just upgrading it.

 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

 

 

EDIT: Just noticed I was using this list for future upgrades at one point. In my current build, I'm using an i5-4670 and only 8 GBs of RAM (Same RAM type just.. half.)

Edited by NeutralHatred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Budget? Requirements?

Requirements include but not limited to: number of monitors (and their connections), resolution of monitors and desired fidelity at said resolution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JohnFlower said:

Budget? Requirements?

Requirements include but not limited to: number of monitors (and their connections), resolution of monitors and desired fidelity at said resolution.

 

Ah, yes. Forgot to mention budget. Well, I was hoping to keep it around $200-300 or less, if possible. Or closest to that range as possible. I only run one monitor right now at 1920x1080, which I'd like to run games at that resolution as well. The whole purpose is just gaming; I don't do any kind of streaming or recording and my CPU handles any re-encoding I may do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might as well get the new GTX 1070 for $349 USD if you can afford $300 USD. You can probably get some good deals on Maxwell based cards when the new GTX 1000 series starts rolling out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2016 at 3:22 PM, ZeroPenguins said:

You might as well get the new GTX 1070 for $349 USD if you can afford $300 USD. You can probably get some good deals on Maxwell based cards when the new GTX 1000 series starts rolling out.

 

Im in the process of putting together a new pc and with the new nVidia cards due out in a matter of weeks, if you have the money for the GTX1070 this would be my pick too.

But in saying that as well, prices for 970's will be dropping soon as they are currently around the same price as the 1070 is forcast. 

Yes the 970 is 'last gen' but still handles todays (and tomorrows) applications very very well and you might be able to pick it up very cheap.

Just be thankful your not on AUD as our exchange rates are terrible, rivals those pesky canadians.

 

My mate is currently playing doom on a very similar setup (except has a 970) and it looks very pretty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cesario said:

 

Im in the process of putting together a new pc and with the new nVidia cards due out in a matter of weeks, if you have the money for the GTX1070 this would be my pick too.

But in saying that as well, prices for 970's will be dropping soon as they are currently around the same price as the 1070 is forcast. 

Yes the 970 is 'last gen' but still handles todays (and tomorrows) applications very very well and you might be able to pick it up very cheap.

Just be thankful your not on AUD as our exchange rates are terrible, rivals those pesky canadians.

 

My mate is currently playing doom on a very similar setup (except has a 970) and it looks very pretty

I'm on AUD, assuming if you haven't noticed my previous post about my GTX 680 and $1000 AUD budget joke to @JohnFlower...

 

I'm honestly not going to upgrade until I start seeing some HBM2.0 GPUs. But that would be a waste, as I only play Dota 2 and CS:GO these days...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did say the new AMD RX480 is a great deal and it's due to be out by the end of the month, especially if you need it soon.

Edit:

It's $199 USD

Edited by ZeroPenguins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×