Good animes to start watching

Do you have a MAL (My Anime List)? This will help us know what you've already watched. Your request is very general and without something to reference, it's a shot in the dark. As a starters, since I think a lot of people do skip it: Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit

One of my all-time favourite series and one of very few anime I've given a perfect score.

Edited by The Question
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Depends on what genre of anime you are looking for ( Action , Mecha , Drama etc. ) . If you could be more specific in what are you looking for , maybe you will find the suggestions to be more helpful . Otherwise is like MephilesTheDark said , random picking .

Edited by Grundy

Genre would be great but you should find something on this list. ;)

Attack on Titan
Berserk
Bleach
Blood +
Chrono Crusade
Claymore
Code Geass - Lelouch of the Rebellion
Cowboy Bebop
D.Gray-Man
Death Note
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball GT
Dragon Ball Super
Dragon Ball Z
Elfen Lied
Ergo Proxy
FLCL
FullMetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
Hellsing
Hellsing Ultimate
Highschool of the Dead
High School DxD
Ikki Tousen
Inuyasha
Macross Frontier
Mobile Suit Gundam
Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Noir
One Piece
Peace Maker Kurogane
Ragnarok the Animation
Robotech
Rurouni Kenshin
Super Robot Wars Original Generation - The Inspector
Tenjou Tenge
Trinity Blood
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
Yu Yu Hakusho

• 4 weeks later...

If you want a good multiple seasons show one of my personal favorites is Natsume Yuujinchou (the, I believe, 6th season of it began just recently and it still shows no signs of decaying in quality.) It's a very "comfy", sometimes (maybe often) feels-y show about a teenager who has been able to see demons/monsters since he was young. Sounds like a recipe for a horror or action type anime or just something really shallow. Instead it's one of the most beautiful and emotionally engaging series I have watched. Poignant at times but, also inspiriting. Natsume is one of my favorite anime protagonists and the character development alone makes the journey from the very first episode to the latest worth it. No english dub, sorry.

Now for something on the short side (even though it absolutely deserves another season!) is Baccano! (the exclamation point is part of the proper title). If you want something more action-y (and don't mind (sometimes heavy) blood and a (usually light) bit of gore) it's well worth checking out. It's also really confusing the first time you watch it so hear are some things to make your first watch a little bit easier: it's kinda Pulp Fiction esque in that the story/show is not given to you in chronological order, I bring that up because when you're watching the first episode the majority of what your witnessing is the aftermath of the train story that is the main meat of the series. Everything makes a lot more sense starting with the 2nd viewing of the series, imo. But the confusion and the "what the hell is this building up to?" type questions that would likely be going through your head as you watch it are worth the time spent on the show. Also, not only does Baccano! have an english dub, it has one of the greatest ones ever produced.

• 1 month later...

No game No life (anime is great but the light novel has lots of story depth people would not have expected, which had a rather dark history)

Code geass (my personal favourite for a mecha anime. Also one of the best character designs for an anime as the characters have very convincing authentic personalities. season 3 due yay)

berserk (manga is better actually)

one punch man (initially i was skeptical but as soon as i watched i became a fan. also strongly recommend reading the manga. It's basically the modern day overpowered dragon ball but more comical)

one piece (long series but it's great. still ongoing)

hunter x hunter ( great series. almost as long as one piece but it has stalled for some reason sadly)

redline ( it's a movie anime, but it's great. it's something like an anime version of Whacky Racers the cartoon )

space dandy ( a comical anime about a space bounty hunter. Really funny )

slam dunk (great basketball anime. but the manga seemed better as it tells the full story)

buzzer beater (another great basketball anime, but with an alien twist for galatic league basketball)

claymore (nice female fighting. though you probably also want to read the manga for the full story. it's too bad they didn't complete the anime since it was great)

Chobits ( a lot anime about human robot relations)

ghost in the shell (this is a must watch. it's about the protaganist dealing with the blurring line between human/machine/virtual/reality and it's society. lots of black ops public security missions too dealing with terrorism and other threats against the state)

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (space warfare. haven't quite seen much that truly beats it since robotech)

death note (have aspirations to be god and cast judgement on others but end up being a psychotic mass murder in history? watch this, it's way better than the tv series dexter)

gantz (people die and mysteriously end up in a room and forced to go killing aliens or your head blows of. watch this for sure)

attack on titan ( the human race as you know it live behind huge fenced walls to escape from huge colossus titans roaming the earth. watch it !! )

dragon ball series ( dragon ball, dragon ball z, dragon ball super.... watch it.... if you haven't )

High school of dead ( is great wish they fully covered it in the anime, maybe it got stalled in manga as well. but for a zombie apocalypse it's an amazing anime )

Tenjou Tenge ( this is a greart martial arts anime )

Fist of the Northern Fist ( this is an even GREATER martial arts anime. the manga is also equally excellent)

Sword art online ( one of the great mmorpg animes. watch !!! )

Overlord ( this is my personal best. chaotic neutral protagonist who is over powered and commands a guild base, army, op lieutenants and a world to conquer. Also another mmorpg anime and with an upcoming 2nd season !!!! the Light novel is recommended to truly get the full gist of the story )

Kingdom ( actually the animation is quite subpar. but the story is excellent. it's about warfare in China before those small countries got unified into a single China. If you like chinese warfare read the manga it's actually better than the anime)

Edited by Moogle Stiltzki