Twin Star Exorcists

Thomas_JCG

88a6fbce8ee5ff9ea9d83f4d8a00012d14491754

Twin Star Exorcists (双星の陰陽師 Sōsei no Onmyōji) is a Japanese supernatural fantasy anime based on the series written and illustrated by Yoshiaki Sukeno. The anime began airing on April 6, 2016 on TV Tokyo, with Crunchyroll simulcasting the series outside of Asia.

The anime follows the manga premise, which I borrow from Wikipedia:

Rokuro Enmado is a young boy who used to be a powerful aspiring exorcist, before a tragic incident left his friend dead and made him abandon the profession. One day, he has a fateful encounter with Benio Adashino, a girl around his age and a well known exorcist from the east. According to prophecy, Rokuro and Benio are the "Twin Star Exorcists", and are destined to marry and have a child which will be the ultimate exorcist, capable of cleansing all evil spirits, or Kegare, from the world.

===================================================================================================================

All I got to say is, two episodes in and I'm already hooked. I didn't read the manga, so I can't judge if it is a good adaptation. The one change I know of is the inclusion of the "obligatory furry comic relief" in the form of a cat familiar for Benio. Other than that, it is a great show. Twin Star Exorcists is my kind of anime: Dark but funny. Few other media can replicate that effect so well, and this anime really aces it. I also must congratulate the work of the Wagakki Band on the opening theme.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Had way too much filler in the first cour which really interrupted the story, made the characters seem inconsistent, and just felt like it was going nowhere. Because of all that it ruined my desire to watch this, even though it had a few redeeming moments. So I dropped this after episode 11. Just not up to par with something I'd want to dedicate watching for 4+ cours.

I agree here.  Although, I will still watch the show. I like the characters. The story is OK.

BTW, I am ripping these directory from CrunchyRoll.  If you guys want a copy of these, let me know.

Edited by Beave
Ripping comment.

On 14/07/2016 at 0:07 AM, Koby said:

Had way too much filler in the first cour which really interrupted the story, made the characters seem inconsistent, and just felt like it was going nowhere.

Filler? What filler?

They focused heavily on characters on this first part of the show (and that's something I appreciate). We get to see the blossoming of the relationship between the two protagonists and several key characters are introduced. And it's not like the story was stagnant, as they explained everything about the protagonists past and motivations and presented their foes and future challenges.

Also, you gave up before the fight against Kamui, which was awesome.

39 minutes ago, Thomas_JCG said:

Filler? What filler?

They focused heavily on characters on this first part of the show (and that's something I appreciate). We get to see the blossoming of the relationship between the two protagonists and several key characters are introduced. And it's not like the story was stagnant, as they explained everything about the protagonists past and motivations and presented their foes and future challenges.

Also, you gave up before the fight against Kamui, which was awesome.

If you don't know what filler is, then you must be fairly new to anime in general. Two-Thirds (or more) of the series first cour was filler created for the sole purpose of expanding 24 episodes of story/plot into a 48 episode series. Even Benio's cat/creature/pet 'Kiniko' is a filler character that didn't exist in the manga. The filler ruins the show, breaks the pacing, ruins consistency, changes or over-exaggerates characters characteristics, and the animation is inconsistent from episode to episode, etc.

The first 11 episodes only managed to cover 11 manga chapters. That's an average of one chapter per episode. When your average anime adapts 2-4 chapters per episode. This means, even if every single episode had at least some canon material, it'd still have about half of every episode being filler to pad it out. This isn't the case though because the pacing isn't exact 1 chapter per episode as some eps are mixed, some are full canon, and some are full filler. In the end, the MAJORITY of the first cour was indeed filler. Hence, my statement of 2/3 being filler in the first paragraph of this post is just about spot-on.

Koby, I have to agree with Thomas_JCG there, although you make valid points he does as well - you simply gave up too early on it. Filler issues, maybe. But nowhere near enough to cause me to drop the series. And another thing is, if I feel the story of a series is too stagnant and just not going anywhere fast enough, I drop it. That just wasn't the case here. It had enough progression for me.

Based on what I've seen past the first set, I'd suggest taking a 2nd look. I'm still continuing to follow the series, I'm pulling the HS 1080p releases (which are CR rips of course), and storing them on my XDCC bot, if you want to pull them later.

22 minutes ago, IkarosBD said:

Koby, I have to agree with Thomas_JCG there, although you make valid points he does as well - you simply gave up too early on it. Filler issues, maybe. But nowhere near enough to cause me to drop the series. And another thing is, if I feel the story of a series is too stagnant and just not going anywhere fast enough, I drop it. That just wasn't the case here. It had enough progression for me.

Based on what I've seen past the first set, I'd suggest taking a 2nd look. I'm still continuing to follow the series, I'm pulling the HS 1080p releases (which are CR rips of course), and storing them on my XDCC bot, if you want to pull them later.

Sorry but no., 11 episodes is in no way 'too early'. Heck most shows only get an 11-13 episode run, so in those cases you'd have watched the entire thing regardless of being bad? That's not me. I have way too much backlog to watch to spend time on stuff that doesn't hit a certain level of enjoyment. If a show fails to deliver in such a timespan, then it's simply not worth it; as I already pointed out, more than half the anime is filler so far and that doesn't look to be changing based on the amount of episodes ordered and the amount of source material actually available. Too much filler, too slow pacing, too much shitty inconsistent animation. You can stop trying to change my mind. It's not happening. I don't watch filler in any of my long running shows I do actually like, so you're not going to convince me to watch filler in a show that I thought the canon was just average in.

Again, there is currently only enough manga material to have adapted around a 12 episode series (30 chapters currently out), however they're forcing that into a 50 episode series. That alone tells you how little they care about it. From the get-go they introduced filler characters like Kiniko that were intended to be there through the whole show, so it's not even attempting to be a faithful adaption. There is just too many negatives. If I wanted to keep up with the series, it'd be one of those 'read the manga' ordeals, because the anime has shit all over the source material.

Understandable. Just saying maybe lighten up a bit more when you pick your anime to follow is all but that's just me.

Mind you that isn't to say there isn't filler here. I just don't believe it as bad as you say it is, or I don't notice it, or perhaps I just don't care about it. Which can happen from time to time with a given series. Still I'll keep following this, and we'll see how it turns out, and my thoughts will of course be conveyed in this thread.

And yes you also missed an awesome fight. Hell of a climax for the first season!

13 minutes ago, IkarosBD said:

Mind you that isn't to say there isn't filler here. I just don't believe it as bad as you say it is, or I don't notice it, or perhaps I just don't care about it.

Again, there is currently only enough manga material to have adapted around a 12 episode series (32 chapters currently out), however they're forcing that into a 50 episode series.

Not seeing what is not understandable in that line. In the first 11 episodes, only 11 chapters were covered (in a normal paced show that timespan would have covered 25-30 chapters easy). More than 2/3 of the episodes were either full filler or half filler. Only about 4 episodes worth of actual canon took place in that time span. This is factual, so whether you 'notice' it or not, doesn't change the fact that none of that was in the source. Pretty much anything that isn't directly moving events forward is padded anime-original content to slow the pace down so they can stretch 12 episodes of content further than that.

They even went as far as to create filler characters to place into the canon story for the long-haul, such as Kiniko (Benio's Pet).

Just now, Koby said:

Again, there is currently only enough manga material to have adapted around a 12 episode series (30 chapters currently out), however they're forcing that into a 50 episode series.

Not seeing what is not understandable in that line. In the first 11 episodes, only 11 chapters were covered. More than 2/3 of the episodes were either full filler or half filler. Only about 4 episodes worth of actual canon took place in that time span.

The bold wasn't necessary, I can read perfectly fine, and I'm not arguing that point. I don't like it any more than you do but it holds a lower weight on my criteria for an 'acceptable' series. In fact, more often than not, I could care less about filler - though I will be quick to say that isn't ALWAYS the case. It just depends on the nature of it, taking into account the genre and the various story elements, among other things.

19 minutes ago, IkarosBD said:

The bold wasn't necessary, I can read perfectly fine, and I'm not arguing that point.

I had said it twice, then you said in your own words "wasn't that bad" as in you were under the assumption that the filler wasn't as numerous as I said, it seemed to me like you thought I was exaggerating it somehow or something. So yeah it felt like you weren't reading what I had already said twice in the regards as to actual filler. Hence adding bold, since it was now the 3rd time I felt I needed to say the same thing again.

I get that you two like it, and that is fine. Enjoy the show. I'm only stating the facts of the canon to filler ratio and manga chapters utilized, and simply that after 11 episodes I decided the show wasn't for me. I felt like dropping it after episode 2, but I kept on. The inconsistency of the characters between the canon parts and filler parts is what ultimately made me drop it.

One moment it felt like the two were making headway, growing as a team, growing as friends, maturing some.... the next it would be filler and all that progression was gone. It was like I was jumping back in forth between two alternate timelines of the same world & characters. It bugged the shit out of me.

Unfortunately that's a big issue with filler everywhere, other writers trying to 'fill gaps' just simply don't know how to write the characters and the world as well as the original creator; which is another reason why fillers often lead to plotholes or simply just don't fit in the timeline, etc. Not saying that's the case here.

I'd much prefer a filler arc that I can skip, over filler being mixed into the canon the way it was here which makes it impossible to skip without doing some fan edits where you cut n splice episodes and shit, but even then the canon has been altered to a degree that it makes it mostly impossible to do so.

I feel the show would have been better had they opted to do a single cour and just cover what was available now and then do like one cour a year as they'd have enough material each year to do as such to continue the story without having to mess with padding it out or adding filler. Unfortunately anime studios don't think like that. Studio Pierrot is just looking to feel the void left by Naruto soon coming to an end and Bleach having already came to an end. They need a new long running show and this is what they chose at least for this year. Next year they'll have the Boruto anime and they may even possibly be looking into picking Bleach back up since the manga is planned to end in the next couple months. They haven't said anything though, it's just my guess.

1 minute ago, Koby said:

I specifically said it twice, you claimed you thought it wasn't true more or less: in your own words "wasn't that bad" as in you were under the assumption that the filler wasn't as numerous as I said. So yeah it felt like you weren't reading what I had already said twice in the regards as to actual filler. Hence bolding, since it was now the 3rd time I needed to say the same thing again.

I get that you two like it, and that is fine. Enjoy the show. I'm only stating the facts of the canon to filler ratios and chapters utilized, and simply that after 11 episodes I decided the show wasn't for me. I felt like dropping it after episode 2, but I kept on, every other episode had me wanting to drop it, while there was only occasionally something here or there that made me want to continue. The inconsistency of the characters between the canon parts and filler parts is what ultimately made me drop it.

One moment it felt like the two were making headway, growing as a team, growing as friends, maturing some.... the next it would be filler and all that progression was gone. It was like I was jumping back in forth between two alternate timelines of the same world & characters. It bugged the shit out of me. Unfortunately that's a big issue with filler everywhere, other writers trying to 'fill gaps' just simply don't know how to write the characters and the world as well as the original creator; which is another reason why fillers often lead to plotholes or simply just don't fit in the timeline, etc. Not saying that's the case here. I'd much prefer a filler arc that I can skip, over filler being mixed into the canon the way it was here which makes it impossible to skip without doing some fan edits where you cut n splice episodes and shit, but even then the canon has been altered to a degree that it makes it mostly impossible to do so.

Koby, I ALSO had said "I don't notice it" and "or I just didn't care". Did I not?

Ahem. That aside. Yes, I noticed this as well. But these issues were still not enough to cause me to drop the series. At the very least, not yet. I've only watched up to 13 (which is pretty much the entirety of the 1st season), so in my book the jury's still out on it. I try to reserve judgment until after I get through at least halfway through a series or, in the case of multiple seasons, after the 1st season finishes airing. So we'll see I guess.

On 14/07/2016 at 10:21 AM, Beave said:

BTW, I am ripping these directory from CrunchyRoll.  If you guys want a copy of these, let me know.

I would, the place where I get the rips is off the air temporally.

On 20/07/2016 at 11:47 PM, Koby said:

If you don't know what filler is, then you must be fairly new to anime in general. Two-Thirds (or more) of the series first cour was filler created for the sole purpose of expanding 24 episodes of story/plot into a 48 episode series. Even Benio's cat/creature/pet 'Kiniko' is a filler character that didn't exist in the manga. The filler ruins the show, breaks the pacing, ruins consistency, changes or over-exaggerates characters characteristics, and the animation is inconsistent from episode to episode, etc.

I know what a filler is, I watch Pokémon since I was a kid, I've seen more filler than the common man could endure.

My comment was about how I don't consider those episodes "filler". They do move the plot forward because Rokuro and Benio relationship is a huge part of the plot. Sure, there were some VERY stagnant episodes like episode 3, whose entire plot was Mayura's... Plot. But most of them focused on core relationships or introducing new characters that are going to be important later on. That kind of development can't be considered a filler.

On 21/07/2016 at 4:39 AM, Koby said:

Again, there is currently only enough manga material to have adapted around a 12 episode series (32 chapters currently out), however they're forcing that into a 50 episode series.

[...]

They even went as far as to create filler characters to place into the canon story for the long-haul, such as Kiniko (Benio's Pet).

Since when that's a rule? Where it is written that anime should adapt around 2 chapters per episode? Game of Thrones has run out of books to adapt and still is a smashing success, isn't? Why can't a show take a more leisure pace?

Also, just for future reference, the character name is Kinako. And while he is a unnecessary addition, he hardly damages the show. Sometimes he can be a bit intrusive, but it is nowhere near Jar Jar Binks levels of abominable.

Look man, I don't want to argue or cause any ill will or hurt feelings.

You can consider it not filler if you want, but the fact is by the very definition of filler, what I'm saying is filler.... is really filler. Regardless of your own consideration as to whether you feel it is or not. Opinions do not change facts.

And I disagree fully on the other statement, as what I watched of the show, the filler did not advance, in fact it took steps backwards rather than forwards in the relationship between the two. Hence being bad imo. You can be blinded by fanboyism, that's fine, but don't expect to convince other people that filler isn't filler.

Any additions, any paddings, anything that is not in the source when it comes to anime is and has always been considered filler. They are 'filling' in the anime to make it move slow enough to pad a 12 episode plot into 50 episodes. That's more than enough of a statement right there to negate anything to the contrary.

I like my anime to continue to take step forwards. I don't like it when they stay in the same spot for 4 episodes and then take two steps backward before taking three steps forward. I don't like it when they can't even keep characters consistent from one scene to the next in the same episode due to filler writers not being up-to-par with the other writers. Sorry but I have higher standards apparently when it comes to what I watch. Again that's nothing bad on you, if you enjoy such things then more power to you. I'm just simply not going to watch stuff that doesn't hit a certain level of enjoyment for myself. We all have our own levels and our own opinions about stuff. However opinions on the show is different than facts of source material utilized. My opinion of the show does not and cannot alter facts on that either. \o/

And using Pokemon as a standard for filler? Pokemon wouldn't even be top 3 in filler percentage, it actually has one of the lowest amounts of filler of any long running show. Naruto and Bleach both have higher filler percentages. Heck even Twin Star Exorcist has a higher filler percentage. Pokemon up to season 15 only had 27% filler. Twin Star Exorcist is already around 60+% filler.

The difference of our posts is I was referring to factual statistics based on what the adaptation has actually adapted, while you're posting opinions based solely on being a fan of the show. The factual statistics doesn't mean you have to not like the show. You can still enjoy the show regardless, no one is saying you can't.

And yes, I deleted the two or three posts you've made after this post. Why? Being hostile towards staff and continuing to spam opinions that have been debunked by actual facts and trying to argue said opinions against facts is not a very good idea. Especially when staff have deleted it on the basis of spam that serves no merit to the topic at hand. If you want to actually discuss the show, fine, that's awesome we love actual discussion, but getting pissy because your opinions don't line up with the statistics and being hostile with staff as a result isn't going to get you anywhere.

I really suggest you go look up and learn the definition of filler. The fact remains that most of what has happened in said show never happened in the source. It's filler to fill/pad/expand the story. When half the episodes that have aired thus far do things that didn't happen and didn't exist in the source, it's filler. When the episodes with canon spend half the episode doing stuff not in source, it's part-filler. You can say you feel like it's not filler all you want, but it doesn't change facts unless you go and change the definition of filler itself. If it's not in the source, it's filler and there is no debating that fact.

Again, being filler doesn't have to mean it's disliked or bad. If you enjoy it, then enjoy it, but stop spamming the thread trying to debunk the fact that most of the episodes thus far are filler, because you can't change facts with opinions. It's impossible.

Your opinion that it isn't filler doesn't suddenly somehow add the events to the source. They're still events that were made up, written, and added by another writer who is working on the anime, and has no relation to the mangaka who created the series or it's characters.

Unless the original creator specifically mentions that events that didn't take place in his manga are canon, then they're simply not. Example: One Piece and Naruto mangaka's have specifically stated certain specials or movies in anime form were canon despite not being in their manga. This isn't the case here.

Twin Star mangaka has not given his seal of approval that this anime-original additions are canon and as such they're not. They're anime-original and therefore by definition of what filler is, fall into the definition of filler. So any feelings/opinions on the matter wouldn't change the fact that by the very definition of filler, the show has been mostly filler up to the point I referenced. So I don't see the point in debating it or continuing the discussion on the matter.

Lets get back to actual discussion on the series and the events that take place and stop with such silly debates that aren't going anywhere but causing unwanted drama and spam. Please?

I agree with Koby completely. Dropped it after Episode 12 or something. Will probably pick it back up after it's finished and there's a fillerlist somewhere.
Also FYI Twin Star chapters are long as heck. Around 50 pages usually (WSJ series have around 20 compared to that). 37 chapters may seem little but there's actually quite a lot of material to adapt but Pierrot decided to botch it.

On 22/07/2016 at 6:58 PM, Koby said:

And yes, I deleted the two or three posts you've made after this post. Why? Being hostile towards staff and continuing to spam opinions that have been debunked by actual facts and trying to argue said opinions against facts is not a very good idea. Especially when staff have deleted it on the basis of spam that serves no merit to the topic at hand. If you want to actually discuss the show, fine, that's awesome we love actual discussion, but getting pissy because your opinions don't line up with the statistics and being hostile with staff as a result isn't going to get you anywhere.

[...]

Lets get back to actual discussion on the series and the events that take place and stop with such silly debates that aren't going anywhere but causing unwanted drama and spam. Please?

You are the one that started to call me a fanboy, and when I pointed that you were being hostile, you just deleted the whole thing and want to give me a sermon on how to behave? Also, what facts? This is something I asked several times, but you never gave any, instead you just considered your opinion as a fact.

Case in point:

On 22/07/2016 at 6:58 PM, Koby said:

You can consider it not filler if you want, but the fact is by the very definition of filler, what I'm saying is filler.... is really filler.

You would take and F if "What is a filler?" was a question on your final exams.

No wonder this forum is dying. It is impossible  to get a discussion. I created an account just to download some stuff, but decided to become a regular poster because the forum looked nice. Guess I was wrong. Consider me a inactive member from now one. Ban me if you please.

11 minutes ago, Thomas_JCG said:

You are the one that started to call me a fanboy, and when I pointed that you were being hostile, you just deleted the whole thing and want to give me a sermon on how to behave? Also, what facts? This is something I asked several times, but you never gave any, instead you just considered your opinion as a fact.

Case in point:

You would take and F if "What is a filler?" was a question on your final exams.

No wonder this forum is dying. It is impossible  to get a discussion. I created an account just to download some stuff, but decided to become a regular poster because the forum looked nice. Guess I was wrong. Consider me a inactive member from now one. Ban me if you please.

So your post comes down to basically you still don't know what filler is. What facts? Take a look at the manga. Anything in the anime that isn't in the manga, is by default filler, unless otherwise stated by the creator to be canon to his timeline. In this case that hasn't happened.

I've asked everyone to drop the argument either way as it's not doing anything but causing hurt feelings in your regard and you keep dragging it back. Can't you move on and just discuss the show, discuss your thoughts on the latest episode, etc. There isn't any reason to keep this back n forth over the filler. It's not going to change it in any way. The filler is there, this debate does not effect how they storyboard the show before, now, or going forward.

You're getting upset over me calling you a fanboy of a show? All fanboy means is you like the show. How is that bad? I don't get why you're acting like it's an insult. It's not. Here's a link to the Dictionary definition: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanboy

I'll quote it:

1. a boy or man who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

So sorry if you felt it was an insult, but that was not intended as one.

You're also getting mad because I counted how much filler is here. So what? If you like the filler, then the fact it is filler shouldn't be an issue.

I really don't see why this ever became a problem.

As if the fillers hadn't already piled up...

After the recent, big events in Twin Star Exorcists, the anime had laid out some of its upcoming plans, including who has been cast as the other powerful exorcists of The Twelve Guardians, and the scheduling of an eight-episode anime original Island Rulership Rebellion arc, debuting with episode 21 on August 31st.

Also manga readers are saying this adaptation has changed so much, re-ordered other events, and completely left out things that basically at this point the entire series is going towards being a full anime-original story and ending. More or less it seems, Twin Star gets the award for the most unfaithful adaptation of it's source material this decade.