zamtehman

what order to watch ghost in the shell

Many of my friends and other have recomended me the anime ghost in the shell. But i have no clue on what order to watch the show and movies. From start to finnish to understand the story line and plot of the series/movies  to the fullest. So anyone in here have rewatched it on the right order it was released when regarding to the story line?  if so could you explain what order i should watch it in? :)

It's kind of like different versions that don't really go together in the same timeline.

You can watch the first two movies, Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence separately from any of the rest of the franchise.

Then you can watch the Stand Alone Complex and SAC Second GIG along with the Solid State Society movie. The other films like Individual Eleven and The Laughing Man are just alternate versions of the big arcs in the series.

Then there is the Arise series which also kind of stands on it's own and doesn't require watching anything other. Watch the movie versions and not the TV version though as there is more scenes. Movies 1-4, then you have episode 9-10 of the series also known as Pyrophoric Cult. Then lastly you have the Ghost in the Shell New Movie (2015) that follows up the Arise series.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Koby said:

It's kind of like different versions that don't really go together in the same timeline.

You can watch the first two movies, Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence separately from any of the rest of the franchise.

Then you can watch the Stand Alone Complex and SAC Second GIG along with the Solid State Society movie. The other films like Individual Eleven and The Laughing Man are just alternate versions of the big arcs in the series.

Then there is the Arise series which also kind of stands on it's own and doesn't require watching anything other. Watch the movie versions and not the TV version though as there is more scenes. Movies 1-4, then you have episode 9-10 of the series also known as Pyrophoric Cult. Then lastly you have the Ghost in the Shell New Movie (2015) that follows up the Arise series.

thanks for the reply i found this really helpfull was really confused on how to watch this

• Like 1

I like to watch things on chronological order, which in the case of Ghost in the Shell is:

1. Ghost in the Shell : Arise (2015 OVA) : Set in 2027, it sees the origins of Public Security Section 9 and how many of the characters got to know each other. The TV version that Koby mentions is called "Alternative Architecture" expands the story a little, but I feel like it was unnecessary, as it bloats the series.
  2. Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie (2015 Movie): Concludes the Pyrophoric Cult arc from Arise. 
  3. Ghost in the Shell (1995 Movie): Set in 2030, is an adaptation of the Puppet Master story from the manga. Watch the original version, not the 2008 remake because things were better back then, dammit.
  4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and 2nd GiG (2002-2004 Anime): From 2030 to 2032, follows "The Laughing Man" Incident and its consequences. As Koby mentioned, Individual Eleven and The Laughing Man are just abbreviated versions of the anime. Watch them if you are in a hurry.
  5. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004 Movie): Also set in 2032, but should be watched after 2nd GiG because spoilers.
  6. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex − Solid State Society (2006 TV Movie): Set in 2034. There is also a 3D version released in 2011, if you like.
  • Like 3

You've been provided two options. I would personally go with Koby's suggestion, if only because it's my personal opinion that the Arise series is horrible and shouldn't have been made, and I would hate for someone to needlessly start with what I consider to the worst of the franchise as a whole.