Converting FLAC audio

Duke Thanatos

Hello everyone. I need to convert .flac audio (of an anime movie) to .aac to remux in an mkv. The reason i'm doing this is to reduce the file size. The software i'll be using is adobe audition. Can someone tell me what are the best settings like optimal bit rate, bit depth etc so that i don't mess this up. Also will it be better to convert my existing flac audio from 6 Ch 24bit to 5.1 16bit or maybe to convert it to Dolby Digital AC3 format. Any sort of assistance would be appreciated.

Info about the Flac audio i wanna convert:

Format                                  : FLAC
Format/Info                           : Free Lossless Audio Codec
Duration                                : 2h 41mn
Bit rate mode                         : Variable
Bit rate                                  : 2 777 Kbps
Channel(s)                             : 6 channels
Channel positions                    : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                         : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Stream size                            : 3.14 GiB (100%)
Writing library                         : libFLAC 1.2.1 (UTC 2007-09-17)

Edited by Duke Thanatos

7 hours ago, PDoggy77 said:

I would encode to 448kbps AAC if you really need to save space - 384kbps is transparent, but I would still stick to 448kbps if you can store it.

The thing is that i really don't need to save space cause any AAC file i convert it to is going to be less then 1gb. The Flac audio i have right now is just absurd 3gb. I would like to know the best possible settings for AAC. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Duke Thanatos said:

The thing is that i really don't need to save space cause any AAC file i convert it to is going to be less then 1gb. The Flac audio i have right now is just absurd 3gb. I would like to know the best possible settings for AAC. Thanks.

Then just go with 448kbps AAC for 5.1

If space was a huge issue, I'd suggest going as low as 320kbps for 5.1, but not any lower.

There isn't really any reason to go higher than 448kbps tbh.

Though really encoding by bitrate typically isn't the way to do it. Most would use quality setting rather than bitrate; which would give you VBR instead of CBR. Something like 0.8 would be sufficient; but I wouldn't go less than 0.5 while 1.0 would be transparent.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Koby said:

Then just go with 448kbps AAC for 5.1

If space was a huge issue, I'd suggest going as low as 320kbps for 5.1, but not any lower.

There isn't really any reason to go higher than 448kbps tbh.

Though really encoding by bitrate typically isn't the way to do it. Most would use quality setting rather than bitrate; which would give you VBR instead of CBR. Something like 0.8 would be sufficient; but I wouldn't go less than 0.5 while 1.0 would be transparent.

Thanks. This cleared up alot... Just one thing left, Adobe audition doesn't have any setting for VBR so can you refer a software commonly used by anime encoders...

On 10/3/2016 at 1:37 PM, Duke Thanatos said:

No, but it's convenient. I used it back in the past for some bloated encodes where the audio took up a lot of space. *cough*coalgirls*cough* bloated days...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeroPenguins said:

No, but it's convenient. I used it back in the past for some bloated encodes where the audio took up a lot of space. *cough*coalgirls*cough* bloated days...

Hahaha yeah Coalgirls audio is always too big in size. One last thing, how is the quality of the final encode with the PopCorn converter cause i don't want to compromise on the fidelity of the audio.

On 3/14/2016 at 7:30 PM, jessex1990 said:

If space is a big issue and your not playing it back on a home cinema system why not just use the normal stereo track (if it comes with one) and discard the surround sound track completely?

There are only 2 track. 1 Jap and 1 Eng and both are too heavy at around 3.2 gb each. All i have to do is rencode them to something practical and remux them in the mkv