'Ducktales' reboot coming in 2017

Koby

6MWVXoZ.jpg

Life is like a hurricane, with all these reboots and revivals coming at us. It’s a duck-blur. But today on Twitter, Disney got everyone’s attention by releasing the first promotional image from the new incarnation of Ducktales, which arrives on Disney xD in 2017. The image was first tweeted from the Twitter account of Disney D23, the official Disney fan club, and was then shared by other official Disney sources.

The news of a new Ducktales series was first unveiled by Variety on February 25th, but nobody really seemed to notice it was happening until today’s image. Nevertheless, Variety offered some details about the characters involved:

The reboot will, like the original, follow [Scrooge] McDuck, his grandnephews Huey, Dewey and Louie and Donald Duck as they adventure around the world. Other characters from the original, including Duckworth, Gyro Gearloose, Launchpad McQuack, Flintheart Glomgold, Magica DeSpell and Poe, Ma Beagle and the Beagle Boys (Burger Beagle, Bouncer Beagle), Mrs. Beakley and Webbigail Vanderquack, are also set to return.

Duck fans will immediately feel an “um, actually” rising in their throats at reading that quote, so let me get there first: Donald Duck was never a cast member of the original Ducktales. However, he is prominently featured in the new art, so he’s clearly been added for this incarnation.

Ducktales was based on the classic Disney comics work of Carl Barks, and the inclusion of Donald seems to imply that this new cartoon might hew even more closely to those comics. Another hint is Uncle Scrooge’s coat, which is red like the original comics, as opposed to blue like the earlier Ducktales. On the other hand, Webby Vanderquack, a character created for Ducktales, is present in the image.

Whatever we might speculate about the series, the important thing is that it’s clear even in the one image we’ve seen that this family of Ducks is having a rollicking, globetrotting adventure together. And that’s what Ducktales is all about.

• Like 7

I am hoping most the old voice cast returns  for this new series. I understand if they have to recast Scrooge (Alan Young 96 Years Old) and Ma Beagle and Magica Despell (June Foray 98 Years Old). But I am Hoping Russi Taylor will do Huey, Dewey and Louie and Tony Anselmo will still do Donald Duck at the least.

2 minutes ago, DigiPokeMon said:

I am hoping most the old voice cast returns  for this new series. I understand if they have to recast Scrooge (Alan Young 96 Years Old) and Ma Beagle and Magica Despell (June Foray 98 Years Old). But I am Hoping Russi Taylor will do Huey, Dewey and Louie and Tony Anselmo will still do Donald Duck at the least.

It's apparently a 'whole new' voice cast according to other press release statements.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DigiPokeMon said:

They even replacing Tony Anselmo as  Donald Duck? I wonder why Disney is replacing the whole cast for?

Donald Duck wasn't in the original Ducktails cartoon; so even if they used Tony Anselmo, it wouldn't change their statement. I don't see why they'd use someone else for him at this point when he's been doing fine with the other shows he's in such as the Mickey Mouse (2013) animated short series. But from the sounds of it, all the main characters from the original will have new voices, which includes Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DigiPokeMon said:

Donald made some guest apperences in the original ducktales series koby

A few small 'guest appearances' aren't the same thing as being a 'cast member'. He showed up in a grand total of 6 episodes. In the new series he seems to be a regular member of the main cast.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mrmike898 said:

I'm hoping that with the reboot, maybe they'll consider remastering the original series in HD like they've already done with Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers and The Little Mermaid series.

iTunes recently released original Ducktales in SD/480p, but sadly those videos look like shit.

So I doubt they'd ever both remastering and releasing the older series in HD.

6 hours ago, Tanis said:

I hope it doesn't suck.

Same here. Here's hoping it's not meh stuff like PPG or Teen Titans reboots.

They're watchable, but just barely.

I for one am not excited about these new ....graphic artist looking cartoon formats Disney is releasing in terms of remasters. They seem so processed, sharp, and computer animated, whereas the original ones seemed to have more of a hand drawn quality. 

I don't think I'll ever be watching this.

Edited by TheLastOfUs

• 1 month later...

The Disney Afternoon had so many cool properties and it's awesome that they're relaunching one. Hopefully it doesn't tarnish the original and maybe gets Disney to do more with their classic characters. I like the Mickey Mouse shorts but I hope it's more awesome adventure than crazy humor like those are.

• 3 weeks later...