Should Energy Drinks be banned

Pacific85

• 1 month later...

Caffeine is the most used psychoactive drug in the world. I don't think we need any additional legislation to change the legality of caffeine or energy drinks. We probably need better warning labels about the dangers of caffeine though. Similar to when better nutritional labels we've gotten over the past few years. But energy drinks shouldn't be singled out - it has less caffeine than coffee in most cases! 

I drink Monsters/Venoms pretty much on a daily basis; anywhere from 1 to 3 cans. They don't even do anything for me anymore. I can drink em and go to sleep, lol. I know that they're apparently bad, but so is just about everything these days. Our air is so polluted that simply breathing is toxic to your health. I've seen people who were health nuts still die from the same things. So I simply don't see the reasoning behind being so afraid of everything that you're afraid to get out and live a little. Therefore I'll drink them all I want. I drink coffee pretty much every morning and I go and get me a Frappe from time to time. I've even been known to order a Mule Kicker (it's a Frappe with 6 shots of expresso) now and then.

• Like 4

ehh, my stance on stuff has always been to leave it up to the people who actually give a damn. not the government. if your worried about someone being reckless with energy drinks, then do something about it. legislation shouldn't have to pick up the slack of someone poor parenting skills or porr educational skills. I personally tell people to not drink stuff that your body doesn't need. i dont need energy drinks and i'm underweight, have poor eating habits, and still manage to run on 6-8 hrs of sleep. I can't drink that stuff cuz just a can of mountain dew will keep me up nearly the entire night. But still you dont need to ban. people just need to educate each other.

Edited by professa X

I went like 2 years without any coffee, energy drink, or even soda (besides Sprite which doesn't have caffeine) and then one day drank one 12oz can of Coke and boom didn't sleep for 3 days. Now that I drink caffeine and energy drinks daily, nothing seems to faze me in that regard. I can drink a Monster and a cup of coffee and go to sleep an 30 minutes later and sleep 8-10 hours easy (as long as my daughter sleeps as I have to wake up when she does of course haha). Lately though I been surviving on 4-6 hours of sleep most nights.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I work for one of the companies that sell one of the major brand of energy drinks.  I don't think they should be banned at all because we are all adults and should drink them how we see fit.  Just don't blame the company when it effects you because everyone knows your not drinking natural juice thats good for you.  As far as kids drinking them, well that where parenting comes in.  For me i use to drink them but don't anymore.  The reasoning i don't anymore is because of the fact that one day i was picking the product in question and dropped a case on the floor and busted a few cans. I didn't bother to clean it up and 3 days later nobody else clean it either so i went to clean the mess and noticed that it ate some of the cement.  No more for me.  lol

Edited by leatherpuppetz

• 1 month later...

I consider energy drinks to be in the same league as caffeine/coffee, although energy drinks combine a lot of crazy stuff together.

You can try to use these things to provide a "pick me up", but that is nothing more than an artificial jolt in your system. Eventually, the body adapts to these things and if you were depending on these types of drinks as energy on a day-to-day basis, eventually you'll find that it is not having as much of an effect as when you started. Most people end up relying on energy stimulus just to function in a moderate manner, when they could have simply done that in the first place without trying any drinks. Health and exercise go a long way to make you feel energized on a daily basis, while energy drinks put people into health complications and a figurative pit of bad emotions that is harder to break out of than before you started the drinking routine. 

I thought I'd just add that there's big differences between typical "energy drinks" (Venom, Rockstar, Monsters ect.) and "energy shots" (5 hour energy ect.). Some people I know lump them together but they're not the same thing. Also, when this comes up everyone jumps on the Caffeine comparisons but that's probably the least of what people should worry about that's put into energy drinks. Personally, while I don't have anything against them, I don't drink them on any kind of regular basis (I could count on 1 hand how many I've ever drank), but I enjoy caffeinated soda semi-regularly (few times a week). That all said, I agree with most replies here, people need to think for themselves and stop trying to have "Big Brother" hold our hands in everyday choices.

• 2 months later...

It makes not difference if they are full nutrient or full of all kinds of nasties, If they started banning stuffing like energy drinks it would open a whole can of worms. There are  a lot of things that are bad for us, it is up to each person to be able to govern themselves on what they eat and drink. If they did do anything, they would put a age requirement, due to the possible harmful properties when too many are consumed in a certain amount of time. That could be acceptable because a lot of children don't read warning labels. Same with alcohol and cigarettes, have to be a certain age to buy. 

As for me, Caffeine does not really affect me at all. I rarely drink soda's or carbonation, I prefer tea, but I  can sleep right after with no problem. I do like Mountain Dew, monster and venom's, when I want something carbonated, but I prefer the monster Rehab's if I am going to drink something regularly. Don't know why, but caffeine has never really affected me. On the other hand, my family can't drink it if they want to sleep, they will be energized.

If someone is allergic to something and then eats it, you are not going to sue a company for his/her stupidity. People are responsible for their own actions. 

• 2 months later...

make your own choice if you want 200 cans of monster go ahead and send yourself to the er/grave. personally i don't drink the stuff, as i am addicted to caffeine you are likely addicted to caffeine as well. 

when you say i can't go a day without caffiene, thats addiction,

when your grumpy after not having your moring joe thats withdrawal.

when you say "im not addicted to caffeine" that's addicts denial.

because of my addiction, i limit myself to 24 oz of mountain dew (or 20 oz of game fuel) and my cut off time is noon (i need my morning caffeine or i fall asleep too early, like 6 or 7pm) 

thats either 108 or 121 mg a day

caffeine's half life is roughly 6 hours so this will let me get tired at between 10pm and twelve.

the the smell of strong coffee makes me sick, and caffeine pills are too expensive. i dont like the aftertaste of energy drinks, so i need to get my fix elsewhere, and the only effective thing is mountain dew.

I love energy drinks. I like the Rockstar watermelon flavor and some of the citrus flavors with 240 mg of caffeine. I usually drink a can before heading off to work.Currently I work as a package handler,that job requires a lot of energy. If I am feeling a little broke on payday  I get the Venom brand of energy drinks instead of rockstar. I used to get Rip-its from the dollar tree, but they don't really seem to do anything for me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/01/2017 at 1:31 PM, Overlord_Laharl said:

make your own choice if you want 200 cans of monster go ahead and send yourself to the er/grave. personally i don't drink the stuff, as i am addicted to caffeine you are likely addicted to caffeine as well. 

when you say i can't go a day without caffiene, thats addiction,

when your grumpy after not having your moring joe thats withdrawal.

when you say "im not addicted to caffeine" that's addicts denial.

because of my addiction, i limit myself to 24 oz of mountain dew (or 20 oz of game fuel) and my cut off time is noon (i need my morning caffeine or i fall asleep too early, like 6 or 7pm) 

thats either 108 or 121 mg a day

caffeine's half life is roughly 6 hours so this will let me get tired at between 10pm and twelve.

the the smell of strong coffee makes me sick, and caffeine pills are too expensive. i dont like the aftertaste of energy drinks, so i need to get my fix elsewhere, and the only effective thing is mountain dew.

I have a cup of coffee every morning, on average I only drink 1 a day but every now and then I will drink 2 cups.

The only time I drink coke is when I have it with bundaberg rum or Johnny Walker Blue Label (usually drink this straight) though sometimes I just need a pick me up and coke helps.

I'm not addicted to caffeine I can quit whenever I like. Speaking of which might go and have a cuppa to prove you wrong :bad_egg:

• 5 weeks later...