Has Anyone Taken a Break from Anime?

warlord8

• 2 weeks later...

Lesee... I guess the last one that I ever saw on TV was Dragon Ball GT on CN and that was back in 2005. But if we're talking about animes that had already aired on TV, yet I missed the opportunity to see it on TV... Cardcaptors in 2006-2007. Then the "alternative dubs" of Sailor Moon throughout 2015. So yeah... take your pick.

I don't think I've taken too long a break. I currently don't watch as much as I used to back in college, like 300-500 episodes of something. I just don't have the time to do that. 

I follow one or two animes weekly and keep a good balance between that and other TV shows, so that nothing feels too monotonous. 

Anime takes much more time than movies to create. To make certain scene, in movies, they can just shoot, but with anime, each frame must be drawn.

Adding to that, in Anime the author usually is just a single writer, compared to TV sit-coms where they have a team of writers.

So... "great anime" only comes once in a while, if you watch anime daily, you will soon catch up with the great animes of all time, and there will be no more anime to watch.

That's when I take break so the pond has enough new fish to catch.

• 1 month later...
On 28/11/2015 at 6:04 AM, warlord8 said:

As the title says, have you ever taken a break from anime? If so, for how long and possibly share why? Also, by break I mean totally avoiding anime in the sense that you did not watch, discuss, or download any anime. How did you catchup once you got back?

I guess I am asking because I feel that in the foreseeable future, I may have to let go for a few months (hopefully not though)... Just wanted to know what the experience was like ahead of time.

About a year or less because of my Master thesis. I catch up anime by talking with my friend and visit horriblesubs.

Considering the fact that I plan on working in the anime and video game dubbing industry someday, if I ever had to break from anime, then there goes my income. So no, I've never had to take a break from anime or video games; in fact, that's how I spend my everyday life.

Edited by Inverti

Think the longest break I took from Anime was about 12 years. I'm an old-timer, and us old farts can spare that kind of time. Life just got in the way. On the flip side, however, when I did get back into it (about 6 months ago, truth be told!), I have to say, there is a lot to catch up on. A lot of sleepless nights, and very long weekends! LOL

• 4 weeks later...

I have never taken a complete break but when I got my first job after college, I severely reduced how much I watched. I went from watching anime on CN/AS, buying it, and downloading it to checking out maybe a show or two a season. Now, I have a Crunchyroll account and stream about four or five shows a season

When I started working and studying at the same time, I had to stop since I didn't have that much time. Of course, you can always find a few moments to watch some episodes, but I simply wanted to use that free time to do something else.

Anyways, you always end up coming back to this world, you just become more selective.