Has Anyone Taken a Break from Anime?

warlord8

I'm not sure about the exact dates but I believe I took at least a ten year or more break but not by choice. First it was crappy cable and an even crappier computer and Internet. Once I got good channels back I started watching again but a lot of networks started cutting back on the days and the amounts of shows they'd show. The world of anime really opened up for me in 2009 I was able to get a new computer and faster internet. I learned how to watch subtitled anime although I still prefer dubs. Now I'm having to save up for an 8tb external hard drive because I haven't hated anything enough to delete it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Doovdé said:

ya but unintentionally - i was in basic training then at my duty station.  I still checked up on the forums with my tablet/laptop but in 2015 there was just so few of anything being encoded there was limited things to watch.

I agree 2014 - 2015 was pretty dry.

8 hours ago, diamonddustlove said:

I'm not sure about the exact dates but I believe I took at least a ten year or more break but not by choice. First it was crappy cable and an even crappier computer and Internet. Once I got good channels back I started watching again but a lot of networks started cutting back on the days and the amounts of shows they'd show. The world of anime really opened up for me in 2009 I was able to get a new computer and faster internet. I learned how to watch subtitled anime although I still prefer dubs. Now I'm having to save up for an 8tb external hard drive because I haven't hated anything enough to delete it.

Until recently, I used to be like that. I would archive everything I downloaded. I kinda do the same still, but for shows that I found on this site, IRC, or Bakabt I tend to delete. That is because I can get them again when I want to re-watch. Although, I haven't re-watched a show in a few years.

What 8tb are you looking at?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2016 at 11:09 PM, diamonddustlove said:

I'm looking at seagate I have a 4tb Seagate and haven't had any problems.

Dunno, maybe its luck of the draw - I had 2@3TB Seagates, and one freezes up for about 30secs every 10/15min, the other started to corrupt data so bad that it could not even be backed up! I used to do Data Recovery, and most (like 90%) of the drives that I received were Seagates, but I thought that this was because there are soo many Seagate drives out there. That being said I still have 3@ 1TB seagate drives that I have had since they first made them and they work perfectly!

I have been watching anime since the late '80's (or since I got onto the internet) I live in Africa, so TV was kinda  limited to political crap and the only access I had to anime was the internet and @ 3kbs (dial up) it used to take for ever! I go through phases where I watch mainly movies, mainly TV or mainly Anime. When I am on the movie cycle this usually only last a couple of weeks, TV shows 3-6 months, but the anime cycle usually lasts for 1year+.

I always come back to anime, it dominates my life and takes my breath away! There are a myriad of themes/genres that makes Anime acceptable to all ages, so do not get bowed by peer pressure - take some advice from Kagami (Otaku Teacher), and only do what you yearn to do!

btw I'm in my 50's, and if anything I am a bigger fan of anime now that when I was younger

3 hours ago, cijah said:Dunno, maybe its luck of the draw - I had 2@3TB Seagates, and one freezes up for about 30secs every 10/15min, the other started to corrupt data so bad that it could not even be backed up! I used to do Data Recovery, and most (like 90%) of the drives that I received were Seagates, but I thought that this was because there are soo many Seagate drives out there. That being said I still have 3@ 1TB seagate drives that I have had since they first made them and they work perfectly!

Yeah that's definitely true. I have a 320gb western digital hard drive I got with my computer. It fell off my kitchen table twice and all that was wrong with it was the usb port popped out so I just got a new enclosure and it still works today. And then I had a 2tb western digital that had all my anime on it and it died I wasn't able to recover any of my files (although that might be because most file recovery programs can't find mkvs) or even reformat it.

On 2016/01/28 at 1:34 PM, diamonddustlove said:

Yeah that's definitely true. I have a 320gb western digital hard drive I got with my computer. It fell off my kitchen table twice and all that was wrong with it was the usb port popped out so I just got a new enclosure and it still works today. And then I had a 2tb western digital that had all my anime on it and it died I wasn't able to recover any of my files (although that might be because most file recovery programs can't find mkvs) or even reformat it.

hell, I feel for you, the bigger the drive the more of a shock it is when they fail, and they will fail - I have a few 1TB externals and i am using a "disk caddy" (dunno what you call them - a docking station that allows you to just drop loose sata drives in) for all my other loose drives. I have backed up all my anime, so if I loose a drive of TV Shows or movies its no great loss, as long as my anime is protected!

• 3 weeks later...

I've done this about four times in my life bud. The first time was because summer ended and that lasted for about six months in the sixth grade. Next was like a year, the entirety of ninth grade. Unfortunately I don't think I can post the entirety of the other two but I will say that one was 3 month because of alcohol abuse and another two months at a different time because of drugs then depression.

I stopped in the later half of 2015 and just reuploaded some of my older anime downloads.Im not very smart but im one of those people with really detailed ideas, and all of them just attack me at once. This gets me confused a whole lot at times. I gave my life to God through his son Jesus Christ, who made the ultimate and perfect sacrifice for my sins as well as everyone elses, but I still find myself filesharing. I take breaks from anime on and off for weeks at a time inbetween months at a time because sometimes im not even sure if I want to watch anime in the first place; because of it I don't have to watch tv or visit dirty websites on the internet.

There are times I even want to just stop watching anime, but, end up asking myself, "This series took kinda long to download, should I share it with someone else.... should I just keep seeding.......... should I just get rid of it," and end up just uploading it to mega.nz. And when I get in the mindset to just not bother downloading or uploading, its not like I can say, "I'M not uploading stuff anymore, and you shouldn't either." NO!, i cant say that, that would make me a hypocrite. Instead I would just take my time uploading and just share, even if I didnt watch it myself. Even though my way of thinking changed, I refuse to forget where im coming from so thats the main reason why im still here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ARRBEE007 said:

I stopped in the later half of 2015 and just reuploaded some of my older anime downloads.Im not very smart but im one of those people with really detailed ideas, and all of them just attack me at once. This gets me confused a whole lot at times. I gave my life to God through his son Jesus Christ, who made the ultimate and perfect sacrifice for my sins as well as everyone elses, but I still find myself filesharing. I take breaks from anime on and off for weeks at a time inbetween months at a time because sometimes im not even sure if I want to watch anime in the first place; because of it I don't have to watch tv or visit dirty websites on the internet.

There are times I even want to just stop watching anime, but, end up asking myself, "This series took kinda long to download, should I share it with someone else.... should I just keep seeding.......... should I just get rid of it," and end up just uploading it to mega.nz. And when I get in the mindset to just not bother downloading or uploading, its not like I can say, "I'M not uploading stuff anymore, and you shouldn't either." NO!, i cant say that, that would make me a hypocrite. Instead I would just take my time uploading and just share, even if I didnt watch it myself. Even though my way of thinking changed, I refuse to forget where im coming from so thats the main reason why im still here.

Epic.

• 1 month later...

Hi. new here and saw this thread. This kinda dovetails into a question I have.

As someone who has taken a break from anime since the mid 2000's (I bough Musi-shi a few years ago as well as the recent Harlock animated film and the Dr. Slump movie set but haven't watched them) getting back in seems to be a daunting task. I'm more into classic anime (I'd kill for good fansubs of Dr. Slump TV). One part of why I stopped was too much harem anime all over and not enough other stuff being talked about in my circles. 

I honestly didn't feel like I was missing too much or thought about anime (outside of things I had seen/liked in the past). I watched a lot of TV, movies, non anime cartoons (Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gravity Falls). Played a lot of video games, got into a local board-gaming club. Fixed my house(I'm in my 40's). Life basically finds a way to take up your time with whatever is around so not seeing/making time to watch any anime was not that noticeable.

As for getting back in, that's where I am now. Not sure what to look at/for.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...