Sign in to follow this  
Kakashi_Hatake

What is Banding?

What is banding and why is it an issue?

(because i'm looking at the before and after images of the vcb studios rip of akame ga kill and i don't see a difference; but i will say i do see the tiniest of differences when i zoom in; what is this difference i'm looking at?)

Edited by Kakashi_Hatake

^But, but, I thought banding was a good thing. You know having higher banding == better quality? You know like having a higher band here means you're better (education wise)... KAPPA!

This is 'banding'

282j05z.jpg

Notice how the color changes aren't smooth.

maxresdefault.jpg

The left has banding, the right has been debanded using filters to dither and add grain/noise.

Having a larger color spectrum allows for better transitioning; hence why 10-bit encoding is a lot better about not causing excessive banding during compression.

As for your comparison; it's because VCB while commenting about the banding, didn't show any screenshots in their comparison of any of the banded scenes which made their image comparison moot. Unfortunately their encode still has a lot of banding anyhow due to compression (I guess, idk) but all the other releases had a lot more banding while also being more than double the size. So no encode of Akame was perfect imo; but they're the only ones who actually stated they tried to do something about the banding. Reinforce and Tsundere both said they don't mind banding and never attempt to filter it when I questioned them.

• Like 2

Also another thing, you can also get banding on monitors especially if you have a low end one with poor colour coverage. Plus some monitors aren't properly calibrated, their Colour Delta E is insanely off which can also cause banding. It's also true with the other extreme end as well, i.e. if you have a wide gamut screen with an extremely accurate colour reproduction you can also get banding. Basically your wide gamut monitor is mostly limited by your GPU which is 8bit, but the screen can support 10bit which is an insane 1024 points of colour saturation adjustments vs 256 of an 8bit. The monitor would have to stretch the 256 points of adjustment over the much wider colour saturation of 1024 points.

A way to reduce the noticeable banding in that use case scenario is to; basically use a 3D LUT table, having a GPU that can output 10bit and properly calibrating your monitor using a colourimetre. That's the problem with going with expensive monitors, you will notice more banding among other issues....

Unless you're doing some serious professional work i.e. photography, video editing, etc. The average monitor usually has about 65-80% Adobe RGB colour coverage which is about 90-95% sRGB colour coverage is good enough. You most likely won't notice the difference between a 60-75% Adobe RGB displays anyways and most of the monitors are around that anyways. In my opinion you just want a monitor with good contrast and viewing angles (IPS panel) to enjoy most of your media.

However, I do suggest that the people who are serious about quality should buy a colourimetre for calibration. Apart from having consistent colours/brightness/gamma on each monitors, it also represents exactly what you will print out especially if you calibrate using the printer's colour profile. My advice is you buy the cheapest colourimetre that is supported by ArgyIICMS and DispcalGUI, as most of the time it's the software that is holding back the entry level colourimetre compared to the more expensive ones (unless you need an ambient sensor as well).

TL;DR:

Banding is a bitch... K A P P A! Well, somehow I ended up with a colourimetre and a wide gamut screen... So I know this first hand.

Edited by ZeroPenguins
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AlterationAngel
      Hi everyone. I am new to video encoding, and, I do not know where or what to search for. "Googling" just does not work for me. The topics or search keywords are so rare, I get no results for what I need. 

I need an Open Source tool that is extremely advanced in quality, but "mouse only user" friendly - has a GUI. I need such a tool to re-encode a HEVC video to H264, without any loss in quality or video bit-rate. 

about what I need:
      - has a GUI with mouse support (heavens we are in 2017)
      - can encode from BDISO
      - can re-encode a mkv video track only (no audio) 
      - can modify the video track during encoding (anti-aliasing, de-banding, de-blocking, de-noise, collor correction effects) 
      - basically, what do amazing groups use? Beatrice-Raws, ANK-Raws, LittleBakas, FFF, Coalgirls (Tenshi), BlurayDesuYo, Tsundere, Final8, SallySubs. Those are/were the only sane groups that did excelent quality. (But now some just ran away to XDCC IRC, Baka.bt, AnimeBytes, like cowards, from DMCA.) ^^
      - so how do they do it? Is it a secret?
      - how and what do they use to encode from a BDISO to a ~10MB/s bit-rate video (with anti-aliasing, de-banding, de-noise)?
      - After all that, re-encoding an already encoded HEVC video track to H264 should be a breeze. 

about the video:
      1920x1080 HEVC 10, 10-bit, variabile fps, constant bit-rate 12.6 MB/s

I want to re-encode that, to a more "GTX760/770/780/780Ti/TITAN,GTX970/980/980Ti,GTX690/TITAN Z" friendly video codec... so that I can *watch* my damn video. 

Notes:

- I am an archivist, so I have zero knowledge about video encoding. 
      I do have knowledge about video quality. (At least I know what my eyes like.)
      - I only have MKVToolNix for muxing (I OUT mux all dubs and localised subs)
      - I do not believe into the term "placebo quality" (refering to video bit-rate), until someone posts comparison screenshots of a low bitrate video vs high bitrate 1920x1080 video, streched (real time upscale) to screen edges of a PC monitor with (at least) a 2560x1440 or 3840x2160 native display resolution. 

Thank you! 

PS. Any other advice, other than about video encoding open source software, is not appreciated. ^^
    • By DarkDream787
      Would anyone happen to have any information on how to rip FLV's from Hulu so I can finish a couple series I never got to finish?

My old method does not work anymore since their security updates were done a while back. I haven't tried doing this in over a year until just recently.

I cant get GetFLV to work for me either like I been told it would. I just recently tried the newest version and It seems to only download the ad and not the video itself. If there is some trick to it I haven't managed to find out such as needing a specific version or something, please share.

I do not wish to use screen recorders that will record it to the hard drive as its playing back on Hulu. So please don't suggest those or bring those up.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

• By Zero93644
      I have been encoding a lot lately, mostly U.S. Blu-rays. So I was curious to know what others have been working on or planning on working on. Anyways here is list of things I have either finished encoding or plan on encoding in the future.

Completed U.S. Blu-ray 720p Dual-Audio 

A Certain Magical Index S01+02 

AKB0048 S01+02 

Attack On Titan S01

Blood-C Movie

Cowboy Bebop+Movie 

Date A Live S01

Deadman Wonderland 

Dragon Ball Z Movie 14 

Fairy Tail+Movie Part 01-14

Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya S01

FLCL 

Galaxy Express 999 Movies 01 and 02

Kill La Kill Set 01-03

One Piece Movies 10 and 12 

Rebuild Of Evangelion Movies 01 and 02 

Sailor Moon Set 01

Trigun Movie 

Plan to U.S. Blu-ray 720p Dual-Audio

Accel World S01

Blood-C

Claymore

Code: Breaker

Date A Live S02

Eureka Seven

Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya S02

Fate/Stay Night+Movie

Fate/Zero

Guilty Crown

Hellsing Ultimate Set 01-10

Inuyasha The Final Act

Jormungand

Rebuild Of Evangelion Movie 03

Sailor Moon Set 02

Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal+Reflection

Trinity Blood

Yu Yu Hakusho

• By dnandrew
      Is there any chance anyone would be willing to share there setting for software like handbrake or maybe other software depending on what you use, Preferably in a stage by stage set of print screens, I have played around with multiple setting but i can't seem to get the quality and file size where i want it, I am looking for quality and file size along the lines of what E-D and Tanxs manage to do (480p or 720p) (300mb-600mb) I am new to encoding but over the years i have downloaded and stored ????'s of anime and cartoon and now that Cartoon World Forum is gone i would like to upload them as my own.

Thank You in advance i would really appriciate the help.