PC vs Console gaming

sloppyjoe103

PCs for FPS and superior ports & mods, but consoles usually draw me in because they historically were better for just getting to the games and feeling more secure that you had the physical copy (ignoring if this makes sense or not). Of course, the last generation or 2 has kind of screwed that advantage over, seeing as consoles are now basically junior PCs with none of the versatility of the real thing.

I guess really I'm PC + Nintendo hardware, but I'm also liable to bust out lots of older consoles since I've got them rigged up by RGB to an Extron switcher and an upscaler to my LED TV. Makes playing older games hella fun, especially with proper scanlines, rgb and surround sound. Speaking of which, time for some SNES, lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

PC are much more flexible. You can use mouse/keyboard or controller depending on what you like and/or the game you're playing. While PCs often have compatibility issues, you can usually find a solution pretty easily and make old games work on new PCs. Very old games can be played in virtualization if not supported by the OS.

Consoles are cheap because less powerful and only compatible with same generation games. however, because they're cheaper, more people use console, and then many games only exist on console (or take forever to get to PC)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't think it's right that consoles are able to control activity on them to such an extent. Dictating what games can appear on the platform and charging large fees to the ones that do. Charging for multiplayer and forcing every game to go through their multiplayer servers. There's a reason why indie games don't appear on console until long after they get popular, if at all.

On 8/4/2017 at 6:21 PM, michaelfue said:

Well since 16k Gaming in now possible on a PC, I wonder how long it will take for consoles to get 16k gaming. Consoles right now can barely do 4k and the 4k Sony says it's just checkboarding 4k.

We're still a very long ways out from even the average PC games developer adopting a 16k standard. While PC games often pioneer a display resolution, they don't push widespread adoption of the format standards and the costs associated with pioneering usually mean that even the majority of PC developers remain within the current market standard or only edge a rung or two above and only a year or two above widespread adoption. When you're looking at trends related to setting new display resolution standards, it's the film industry who pushes forward. Right now 4k is still in its infancy even as a production standard for cinema. I think we're a long ways off from 16k gaming being anything but a niche reserved only for the most expensive of simulators.

For me, it just depends on the game. Graphics superiority isn't the priority in the game experience for me nor is framerate.

Most games I swing either way. Some games I'd prefer KB/M (FPS) and some I'd prefer Controller (Fighting, Hack n Slash, Some others like Sonic games).

Although, if I can just use my PS4 Controller (with full support) on PC then I'd lean onto PC for everything expect maybe online play if I wanted to play something online.

Yes, could just use emulate but I'm not okay with that if the prompts/button mapping is prominent. (Like Fighting Games or Games with Quick Time Events) Console for me in these cases, always. 

14 hours ago, RyanEsau said:

For me, it just depends on the game. Graphics superiority isn't the priority in the game experience for me nor is framerate.

Most games I swing either way. Some games I'd prefer KB/M (FPS) and some I'd prefer Controller (Fighting, Hack n Slash, Some others like Sonic games).

Although, if I can just use my PS4 Controller (with full support) on PC then I'd lean onto PC for everything expect maybe online play if I wanted to play something online.

Yes, could just use emulate but I'm not okay with that if the prompts/button mapping is prominent. (Like Fighting Games or Games with Quick Time Events) Console for me in these cases, always. 

You can use your PS4 controller on PC if you have Bluetooth or a micro USB cable. A lot of games will support controllers out of the box, the only problem being that some only come with button prompts for Xbox controllers. Sometimes there's a mod somebody made to change it to PS4 button icons though.

I don't get why you'd prefer console for online play though. You have to pay extra and it's usually less competitive.

2 hours ago, moron said:

You can use your PS4 controller on PC if you have Bluetooth or a micro USB cable. A lot of games will support controllers out of the box, the only problem being that some only come with button prompts for Xbox controllers. Sometimes there's a mod somebody made to change it to PS4 button icons though.

I don't get why you'd prefer console for online play though. You have to pay extra and it's usually less competitive.

You missed my mention covering what you're pointing out.

Yes, could just use emulate but I'm not okay with that if the prompts/button mapping is prominent. (Like Fighting Games or Games with Quick Time Events) Console for me in these cases, always

I use my PS4 controller on PC through Steam's Controller Support, it's great but if there's button prompts in the game then I'm not all that keen. I don't want to have to try and remember what the translations are, especially in the heat of a battle and there's QTE popping up left and right.

As for online play, it's naturally going to be hacker-free (or in the very least, less hackers) on console. Naturally I'd prefer to play without running into hackers/modders.

Also maybe less whiny kids and such due to paywall, that's a nice bonus. Not a big deal though, assuming you can just mute people.

15 hours ago, malsom said:

i mean pc has a wider range of games as compared to consoles due to the fact it can emulate consoles up to the ps3

This... isn't entirely accurate. While plenty of later generation games run (most notably the GameCube and Wii), most consoles starting with the Nintendo 64 and up have serious compatibility issues. The experience you'll be getting out of emulating them isn't comparable to what you're getting on the actual console, which defeats the purpose of emulating in the first place. There are certainly great strides being made in getting these newer games to run, but we're a far way off from considering these emulators as being viable solutions.

• 2 weeks later...