do you read manga or watch the anime first?

HeavenlyClassic

personally,i enjoy reading the manga first

makes watching the anime that much more interesting,seeing what they removed(scenes,etc,) new things not in manga,(scenes,dialogue,etc,) and especially the voices chosen and how they compare to what ive imagined :]

often times scenes i felt were important are completely removed :/

ie finished first 7 books of Claymore,watching the first dvd

• Like 1

I usually read the manga first, unless it's an anime that I did not know it had a manga, but if that's the case and I like it I will read the manga right away.

Anime usually leaves a lot of stuff out or changes it, or only shows the first part of the story, when I read the manga I get the full effect of the story the art, and the detail the creator put in the story and pictures, the emotions that even little changes in there expression can make, then when the anime comes out, I can see if they adapted the story faithfully or change it and get to see the story again with sound and movement, however they don't have as much detail as the manga do.

Though when the manga can get you to imagin hear the characters voices or see movements as you read it and imagin there is color in the panels when you read it, that means it is that good and not at all flat, it brings out your imagination as well, and sometimes it is more fitting then the sounds or voices that the anime adaptions have.

I get really dissapointed though when anime remove or change the really good parts in the story, especially the ones that have character development, though I find that they do that a lot in anime of all genre.

There is a lot to be missed by only watching the anime.

so my answer is Manga first.

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I watch the anime first.

Though I will read the manga if the anime version is considerably different from the manga version, (Elfen Lied) deviates from the manga version, (Soul Eater, Zatch Bell) or the anime version doesn't cover all of the manga version (Rurouni Kenshin, Rave Master)

Same here, though if the anime is different from the manga or doesn't cover everything, I usually start reading the manga from the beginning.

I know that seems crazy, but I watch and read so much series, I tend to often forget what happened in the past.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've only read Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (all of it) and the last books of Rurouni Kenshin because the anime stopped without finishing the story. Because I knew there was more, I felt compelled to read the manga in order to properly finish those stories. I've started reading through the Rozen Maiden Manga for the exact same reason. Otherwise, I just watch the anime. I don't dislike manga, the mediums are different and I like both. But when I'm looking for a new series to get into, I look through anime reviews and ratings. I'm not sure that kind of info is as easily available for manga? I haven't really tried looking for a new manga to read out of the blue before.... hm.

BTW

My brother tried to get me to read Lord of the Rings way back before Fellowship of the Ring was released. I tried but didn't get far out of lack of interest. Only after watching the movies did I have the desire to read the books. That was fun to see more details to the story and how it was told "originally." I think this can be seen the same with watching an anime then reading the manga.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually I watch the anime first and if I like it well enough I go back and read the entire manga series. I find it to be easier to watch anime than read manga so I figure it allows me to give more series a chance. So far, Elfen Lied, Deadman Wonderland, and ZombiePowder are the only manga I've completed reading. I hate that they cancelled ZombiePowder, it was getting so good.

• 3 weeks later...

Anime over manga anytime since I get to enjoy art, animation, color, music and voice acting over art alone in manga which gives (people may disagree) more life to the content. Also, in manga, I only get to read the translation which is given to me while watching anime (Japanese dub of course) gives me the original words intended to be heard (or read). That helps sometimes to understand more subtle messages.

I may pick up a manga from where its anime ended if I'm starving for more.

The Flower of Evil is an exception where I just didn't watch and went straight for the manga version, for obvious reasons.

I watch the anime and then read the manga! Anime is a lot easier to get into and keep up to date on thanks to the easily distinguishable seasons and sites like AniChart.

After watching a few episodes of the newer releases I might feel like picking up the manga...

Other than wait, I wait for recommendations from friends and forums (!!!) on both anime and manga!

So if you think I'm missing out on any good manga or anime (I really haven't read that much manga) drop me a message!

I really, really loved Mushishi if that's a good indicator of my favourites!

Usually I watch the anime to get a taste of the material and then read the manga/light novel if I really love it. I especially do this for series where the anime only goes only so far with the source material. It's also nice to get a better visual and auditory image of the characters for when I read. I actually probably enjoy reading manga more as it is much easier to go at my own pace and it is more portable on my iPad.

There are also definitely series where the manga/LN is better than the anime. Berserk, Spice and Wolf (the light novels are amazing), Great Teacher Onizuka, The World God Only Knows, etc are just a few examples. I love being able to go far ahead of the anime because I just can't stop with the story. Also, there are obviously a lot of great manga only (or soon to be animated manga) options like Koe no Katachi, 20th Century Boys, Oyasumi Punpun, etc. They're all just so good.

• Like 2

Usually I watch the anime to get a taste of the material and then read the manga/light novel if I really love it. I especially do this for series where the anime only goes only so far with the source material. It's also nice to get a better visual and auditory image of the characters for when I read. I actually probably enjoy reading manga more as it is much easier to go at my own pace and it is more portable on my iPad.

There are also definitely series where the manga/LN is better than the anime. Berserk, Spice and Wolf (the light novels are amazing), Great Teacher Onizuka, The World God Only Knows, etc are just a few examples. I love being able to go far ahead of the anime because I just can't stop with the story. Also, there are obviously a lot of great manga only (or soon to be animated manga) options like Koe no Katachi, 20th Century Boys, Oyasumi Punpun, etc. They're all just so good.

I'm pretty much the same as you except that before I only used to watch anime. Now I'd rather the manga first to see if it's worth and if it's not then shift-delete it goes.

20th Century Boys was really good. I'm pretty sure there were a few live-actions of those.

• Like 1