Elsch's Suggestions vol 2

Elsch

hello! here I am again with another suggestion already. How about we create a little survey for people to fill out when they join here. Some people are really bad at introductions, but if we have a standard survey, then it will be easy for us to get to know our new friends here. I'd even be willing to create the survey if it's okay. You can either provide it in a sticky topic in the introduction forum, or have it automatically sent to new members via PM. what do you think?

I like the sticky idea. In fact, this forum software allows notices, which may be useful. Well, maybe not this version of the forum software. Koby knows.

I've already done this idea at my forum, in a topic titled "New members, please read this first." I think it's important not to make them feel any pressure, such as may happen if they're allowed to get the impression that they have to provide paragraphs about themselves, or that it has to be personal information. Of course, surveys don't tend to be too personal anyway. In any case, just emphasizing that even a little bit of casual information about themselves helps start discussions, make introductions worthwhile, and help the new member get acquainted with people should be enough. What I do, too, is to ask follow up questions once in a while, or at least comment on what someone said. That part's not in the rules, and I'd rather lead by example.

thank you for your support! I wouldn't ask for any personal information in the survey of course. the thing that worries me about a sticky is new members just ignoring it, or simply not seeing it. If it's sent in a PM, then it has a higher chance of being read. Everyone always feels excited when they see they have a new private message. They want to know what it is.

I think its a good idea, if its more of a standarized form of introduction we could get a decent introduction, plus it kind of takes the pressure off new members and it may help with telling the difference between who will be active and who is here just to leech. I think if someone is wlling to fill out something like that then they will probaly more likely than not be active and take part in the forum community.

Also medora is right to just alittle of of normal information makes it a introduction worth reading unlike a lot of people who just post hi or nice to be here. A survey might just help get a decent introduction out of new members and allow us to get to know them. And a PM would stir peoples interest in chcking it out. : )

Well we do have this:

http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=127

But it's extremely outdated, and no one really reads it anyways. We could always setup some kind of welcome PM when a user registers that tells them more about the rules that have been stated everywhere as well as why they can't access the downloads and how they can, and include this idea within it too. I'd have to look into about how to set it up though whenever I get time... and if someone is willing to write all that.. would be awesome if we could do something in image form...

Something like this for example:

001welcome.png

002new.png

003forum.png

004request.png

005upload.png

006help.png

007town.png

008spam.png

009bottom.png

that is a good idea too. the image will make it easy to access things, but also interesting looking. if you ever want to put this into play, I'll help by writing the survey if you want. let me know if I can help with anything at all!

what is an activity bar?

It's a graphic that's sort of a progress bar influenced by how much you've been visiting. At least, that's what I'm assuming, as I've seen something like that at other forums. Sometimes, it's a series of bars that calculate different "accomplishments" you've made, just as a rank text or image may signify how much you've posted. This feature is usually associated with a "shop" and "money" system that rewards users with items or privileges.

That said, I don't care for the idea.

• 2 weeks later...
Ya koby thats exactly right.

If its very attractive enough and have some good info it will definitely get some good responses.

Also how about installing an activity bar.

I see forums having them.

I don't like the activity bar...

but leki would you be willing to design something similar to what I posted?

• 1 month later...

I'll need to slice it in photoshop so we can add the links to each part.

Though, I'll actually need to talk to you later about this poetic. =P

We aren't such an uptight forum that we have that many rules to read about. >_<

That and even if we did, the sections are named differently. xD

The above image was just a sample of what I was talking about, lolz.

Thank you for taking the time to design it though. ^.^

I'll need to slice it in photoshop so we can add the links to each part.

Though, I'll actually need to talk to you later about this poetic. =P

We aren't such an uptight forum that we have that many rules to read about. >_<

That and even if we did, the sections are named differently. xD

The above image was just a sample of what I was talking about, lolz.

Thank you for taking the time to design it though. ^.^

Well, I told Mae that I'd copy it word for word, and she thought that would be okay. Just let me know what you want changed.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we should start this ASAP because it seems like there are a lot of new people that are confused about where to start.

Maybe instead of having just links to a bunch of rules, some of them could be links to the different sections (Anime & Manga, Gaming Realm, Balamb Cafe, etc). Might give new members a starting point.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, it is possible to have rotating ones also, but that would be only a little complicated, cause then we will have 8 images to rotate at the minimum, But still it is possible(remember to keep the format same).

P.S. I think I have found a much simpler way, will tell you if it works.

Edit : It was simpler, But HTML does not work here, So we have to go with slicing, Either way, if HTML code works, we don't need to slice a image into x parts and embed each with diff. links.