Movies vs. Books

Elsch

If you have to go back to the book to understand something, then it's very likely the movie failed in conveying the story properly and it's just a bad movie. Same for the other way around. They--the movie and the book--should be able to stand independent of each other, regardless of which one came first.

I generally don't begrudge adaptations for changing things around in the plot. Movies based on books and vice versa have to convey the same information in their own ways given their different limitations--some times just don't translate well. And given the subjectivity of the written word, you're always going to have people who are upset the movie doesn't match their headcanons and claim that the movie totally misinterpreted a character/scene/the entire book, haha.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hmmm reading and enjoying the books will encourage me to watch its film counterpart if and when it comes out. But if a book film comes out and I haven't yet read the book (because I hadn't plan to) I'd still see themovie and still probably won't read the book. I think only Howl's Moving Castle got me to read the book first but it was mostly because the film wasn't going to make it to America for awhile.

• 4 weeks later...