Ok a couple of things.

As you may recall rock lee had in the past fought neji a number of times trying to beat him, and always failing.  During the fight with Gaara he looks over at Neji saying in his mind he was hoping to reserve this technique for Neji.  Rock Lee's speed was already ridiculously fast before opening the gates, but Neji having been part of his team would know somewhat of that.  He would not have known to the full extent because he like everyone else was surprised when Lee pulled the weights off his legs.  If lee were to fight Neji he would have opened the gates as his first option, and not as a last resort.

Still it would have come to how quickly Neji would have responded to the lotus technique.

• 1 month later...

Lee would of had a good chance, but I think neji would still have come out on top in the chunin exam arc. Lee is insanely fast but neji isn't slow, it would be interesting to see if opening the gates would have an adverse effect on say lee's closed chakra points if they did somehow had to fight

I think he could have, with Lee's speed he would have easily dodged any attack neji threw at him. Also the only way neji could defend against Lee's speed is to use his rotation each time Lee tried to attack. But thats if he could use it in time, since Lee moved so fast.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think Lee could have beaten Neji, even though Rock Lee lost against Garaa, Lee's ablilties would have put up a decent fight against Neji if not gave Neji a run for his money. If Rock lee didn't have the strength to be Neji with his weights he could have done it with ease with the weights off or his 8 gates mode. You also have to look at the fact that Lee got through Garaa's defence with power, I doubt Neji could have done it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...