Change in Usergroups?

Cynthia

I know we want to honor people and all, but I have some suggestions for the usergroups:

I think there's a little too many, and some of which are misleading. Like the GFX Team having its own group and being able to submit site content, but not being actual mods and having no power is a little confusing, to name one. Here's what I suggest:

1. GFX Team should either be given power, or just consolidated into another group. It's a tad misleading.

2. Uploaders, donaters, and GFX team could be put into one group. Perhaps a Premium member group of some kind? To show they contribute to the site, but not just creating more and more groups. Yes they all help the site and deserve praise, but I think a single group is enough, I doubt any of them are so egotistical they feel they need to be recognized for a specific thing.

3. I even see a problem with these premium member statuses as well, because it can convey the idea that they are better than other members. True I have seen no incidents as of yet, but it's something to take into account, and keep in mind. Nothing need be done now, but just keep it in mind for the future.

4. Upload mods and regular mods should just be consolidated. Moderators just moderate a specific section, and upload mods moderate the upload section, which can be done by the other mods.

5. I have no idea what the service crew is, or does, nor have I ever seen one, so no comment on that.

So we'd end up with: Admins, Super Mods, Mods, Service Crew, Members and banned.

Just kind of cleaning up the site a little and eliminating a few of the excessive groups.

No this isn't "Bwaaaaaaah I want my own usergroup too!" It's trying to eliminate that idea.

The GFX Team has no power i agree. Im the only one in the GFX that has powers of mod over the Graphical Division only. So yea. I say Make a Gfx Team where people who are good at gfx join and a different group called GFX MOD or GFX MODS who are assigned to control the Graphical Division and look after it.

Actually, there's a mod for VB, which I believe is installed for social groups, perhaps we can install a mod that shows what social group your in on your main posts under your username somewhere? Then create a social group for the GFX team, that way making it a subgroup rather than its own usergroup.

I am so egoistical that I need to be recognized for the thing I do, upload. I also don't see Donator groups being better then any other normal member and if they are it's because they donated.

All I'm saying is to just consolidate the groups, it's not like they all need to be specifically recognized for what they did, they contributed to the site, and that should be enough of a reward for them. You upload, you contribute to the community, you submit graphics, you contribute to the community, you donate, you contribute to the community. I understand we need a reward system for these things, and I'm not suggesting to do away with them, just that we consolidate them to lower the amount of usergroups.

Well 8 usergroups isn't a lot, really. I think maybe the Upload Moderators and Regular Moderator groups can be merged though and yes I do think individual groups need to be recognized for what they do separately.

People can get the Donators confused with the Uploaders or Graphics Team and vice-versa. Requesting something a certain series or something from a donator or graphics team member instead of an uploader, you get what I'm getting at here?

I'm and Uploader and I want to be recognized as an Uploader.

Well 8 usergroups isn't a lot, really. I think maybe the Upload Moderators and Regular Moderator groups can be merged though and yes I do think individual groups need to be recognized for what they do separately.

People can get the Donators confused with the Uploaders or Graphics Team and vice-versa. Requesting something a certain series or something from a donator or graphics team member instead of an uploader, you get what I'm getting at here?

I'm and Uploader and I want to be recognized as an Uploader.

Read the above post about sub groups/social groups dear.

True, Koby, very true, however I really think that having all these groups kind of in the long run is going to just create a sense of elitism "oh, I'm an *insert group here* so why not shut your mouth noob". I am certain it has not happened to this point, but if it's one thing I know from experience on forums, it's that once a forum expands, and the longer it's around (which I noticed a lot of the people here that are active joined within the 2010 range) it just makes people feel they're more entitled to things than others.

I recall on one forum, there was a member who did nothing but cause huge wars between users, and actually said that he felt he didn't deserve to get banned because and I quote: "I have donated the most money to this site", which no doubt in my mind, that if a donater ever had to be banned, a similar situation would come about.

People should submit things to assist the site because they want to, not because they want to be recognized by others.

True, Koby, very true, however I really think that having all these groups kind of in the long run is going to just create a sense of elitism "oh, I'm an *insert group here* so why not shut your mouth noob". I am certain it has not happened to this point, but if it's one thing I know from experience on forums, it's that once a forum expands, and the longer it's around (which I noticed a lot of the people here that are active joined within the 2010 range) it just makes people feel they're more entitled to things than others.

I recall on one forum, there was a member who did nothing but cause huge wars between users, and actually said that he felt he didn't deserve to get banned because and I quote: "I have donated the most money to this site", which no doubt in my mind, that if a donater ever had to be banned, a similar situation would come about.

People should submit things to assist the site because they want to, not because they want to be recognized by others.

I can see where you're going with that but that only happens when people who run the site let it happen. From my personal view on Kobe, he doesn't seem like somebody who would let that happen.

And then they have the moderators and so on who are suppose to take care of problems like that. I believe the people who do donate and stuff should be given more leniency so to say on some certain stuff. I can't see anybody doing what you say unless that's the impression the staff/management make and I rarely seen it happen or heard it happen, only on websites run by stupid little kids.

I've been running forums since 2001, originally had a forum with over 300,000 posts and 3,000+ members who were actually active, and I've never once seen that happen. We don't condone elitism, and anyone who tries to act that way will lose any benefit group they have. Also just because you have done this, or done that, doesn't mean I won't ban you if you do something wrong. You keep talking about this is going to happen or that is going to happen.. what ever happened to what is happening right now? xD Why does everything have to be about whats to come with you? lolz.

*edit*

Okay on to the original post.

1. GFX Team, we use to have a lot of members, so it was decided only certain ppl within the group would actually have powers over the section, however as of now it's only has 2 members and 1 of them does have power. We will continue to give power only to those who we think need it. I don't want to give out powers over entire sections to just anyone who joins and knows how to use Photoshop.

2. I really don't see the need or reason behind joining these. Donator's are donators, GFX Team are designers, and Uploaders upload in the download sections. Joining them into one group will only force us to use some other more complicated method of keeping up with who does or should be doing what.

3. You see a problem, I don't. I actually want to give bonuses to those who help, and encourage others to help out when they can. If someone doesn't like that member A has more privaledges then them, then they are the one with the problem. It's easy to get added to one of them, simply be an active member of the community and help out.

4. Now this is one that we should probably do. Upload Mods was originally made at the request of Baby Naruto, and was intended to have mod powers over the download section so they can keep it clean of dead topics or keep indexes up to date. As far as I've seen Baby Naruto hasn't done any of this except edit topic titles. So Upload Mod will probably be removed, and those who need these abilities can be added as a regular moderator.

5. Service Crew, not a single person is in this group at the moment. It was used more in the past, but included people that could post the latest news to the websites in "The Forgotten Network" board. It's also just a group that can be used for random positions around the board such as those who help answer questions, etc..

But really, can you give one good reason as to why we NEED less user groups?

I'm not suggesting to do away with them, just that we consolidate them to lower the amount of usergroups.

Cause I really don't see what the problem is. What is misleading about them as well? As I said, Uploaders upload, Mods moderator, Donators have donated to the site, GFX Team members do gfx, etc...

Well, considering you've run the site so long, I'll take your word for it on a lot of that, as what other choice do I have? I wasn't here.

1. It's hard to tell who has powers and who doesn't with this system, Perhaps just make that person a moderator, so we can tell who has power and who doesn't?

2. I'll give you that, seeing as how it works differently from forum to forum.

3. Once again, that's your choice.

4. We agree on that, so no reason to argue it.

5. Perhaps hide that group from the legend until there are people within it?

The GFX team is a little misleading, as one person in it has power while the others do not. So that's a TAD misleading, and uploaders sound like people who actually do work with the site, so it kind of makes them look like staff members. I'll give you donators as I SUPPOSE people need SOMETHING for an investment of money.

Maybe just icons next to actual staff members name to distinguish who is and who is not? Like a star or something? The only reason I see having too many groups as a problem is because it's just misleading. I don't care who is what, or who has more prestige over anyone else, because anyone who knows me, knows that I will piss on anyone regardless of status. ;)

4. Now this is one that we should probably do. Upload Mods was originally made at the request of Baby Naruto, and was intended to have mod powers over the download section so they can keep it clean of dead topics or keep indexes up to date. As far as I've seen Baby Naruto hasn't done any of this except edit topic titles. So Upload Mod will probably be removed, and those who need these abilities can be added as a regular moderator.

I'm not psychic so how am I supposed to know if a thread has dead links?

I don't have the time to look though every single thread and open up links to see if they are dead or not.

I don't have the time to look though every single thread and open up links to see if they are dead or not.

I don't think that's your fault darling, I think people should be PMing you.

I didn't say you had to. I said said I hadn't noticed you doing so. As for that we should probably get people to report dead topics to certain people or all in one thread. If only a couple links are dead they can report in the actual thread, but if a whole thread goes dead or the uploader hasn't been around in forever, we could really use some way of being told so we can do something about it.

I've noticed in the last couple days stuy has posted in a lot of topics saying all links are dead, and the majority of the topics were done by corenapz. But instead of actually deleting the threads, we should move them to the farplane (trash bin). Maybe we should make some sort of recycle bin for dead downloads in case someone fixes their links it can be restored? Or that might just be pointless. We should however give the uploader time to acknowledge their uploads are dead and give them time to fix them before just trashing every thread too.

I'd also like to get help with keeping the index updated, and maybe even finding people who are willing to work on new separate indexes and keep them updated such as dub only index, sub only index, dual index, cartoon index, etc... As the download section grows we need to grow to help support and be able to find topics.

and uploaders sound like people who actually do work with the site, so it kind of makes them look like staff members.

I consider an uploader a part of the staff... Why not? Just because somebody is a staff member or part of the gfx team or so on does not mean they need to have certain power.

I consider an uploader a part of the staff... Why not? Just because somebody is a staff member or part of the gfx team or so on does not mean they need to have certain power.

lol.. yeah. Not every staff member needs to have moderating abilities anyhow. As for uploaders, anyone who actively uploads and has uploaded at least say 10 series.. can be added to the uploaders group. Now if we gave the entire uploaders group abilities.. that would mean giving powers to any random newbie who joins and posts links... we have quite a few who do that such as "leerpsp". He spammed 6 threads for code geass r2, one thread for each episode he uploaded. Do you really think we could trust him with powers had he been upgraded to uploader? No. lolz..

Like I said earlier.. same applies to gfx team, just because someone knows how to use Photoshop doesn't mean they can be trusted to have or maintain moderating powers on the forum.

So while we add users to some of the groups, titling them as such, not all will have the powers. Only those who have been around and shown they can handle the responsibility, shall actually earn the abilities.

Even in real life, not every job position comes with power. There is the bottom feeders, then there are the bosses, then the bosses of the bosses, etc.. Not to make it sound as bad as that, just don't know how to word it better.

lol.. yeah. Not every staff member needs to have moderating abilities anyhow. As for uploaders, anyone who actively uploads and has uploaded at least say 10 series.. can be added to the uploaders group. Now if we gave the entire uploaders group abilities.. that would mean giving powers to any random newbie who joins and posts links... we have quite a few who do that such as "leerpsp". He spammed 6 threads for code geass r2, one thread for each episode he uploaded. Do you really think we could trust him with powers had he been upgraded to uploader? No. lolz..

Like I said earlier.. same applies to gfx team, just because someone knows how to use Photoshop doesn't mean they can be trusted to have or maintain moderating powers on the forum.

So while we add users to some of the groups, titling them as such, not all will have the powers. Only those who have been around and shown they can handle the responsibility, shall actually earn the abilities.

Even in real life, not every job position comes with power. There is the bottom feeders, then there are the bosses, then the bosses of the bosses, etc.. Not to make it sound as bad as that, just don't know how to word it better.

I didn't suggest giving all these people power, I suggested just not having the groups, or only adding people who should have power to them. So don't add just ANYONE to an uploader group, only add people who prove trustworthy, and actively upload, and have been here for a long time. Giving power to that many people would be chaos.