Testing Filehosts

Honestly hosting your own server is cheaper than buying premium at most sites.

For about $10 to $15 a month you could have your own dedicated server with a 1TB harddrive for hosting your files. You can offer direct downloads, you can offer direct downloads behind a passworded user account, you can offer files via XDCC in the IRC channel, or you could simply run the server as a seedbox and seed all your stuff through torrents using the server.

I don't honestly know anything about which file host to use, because I never download from file hosts anymore aside from a couple peoples work who don't release it via other means on this forum (namely Shiro, MysterySword, Baal, and ChoeyXD).

1TB isn't much space, at least not for people like me and Shiro, whose encodes and uploads exceed that (or eventually will if not yet). For instance, I've currently got 1.4TB on my FileCloud account.

@JohnFlower

How much do you spend in a month for all your shit? I don't make that much money.

Im currently using this server. has 4tb space - POWER X6 - http://www.server4you.com/dedicated-server/proserver/#compare

Edited by Mr.Waddles

hmmmm main reason. didnt know where to start or how to utilize my server. Koby is helping me out. going to try and host XDCC bot but i dont like the idea much. seems a bit involved to setup and download from.

i feel that users here want the easiest fastest way to download for free and i would like to give it to them but it doesnt seem feasible anymore.

Direct download will not work because of bandwidth limitation plus i use my dedi for creating and seeding on BTN and IPT and itunes downloads and uploading to usenet and as my seedbox.

THinking about creating private torrents just for this site but it was pointed out to me that most people will just hit it and quit it and not seed plus there is chance of IP's being blocked.

sooooooo yeah gonna give XDCC a shot now. just working on setting it up.

As I said; unless you're releasing torrents on a ratio enforced private tracker with an actual active userbase; people will just hit and run it. ChoeyXD releases his stuff just on Nyaa for example, and while 500-1000 downloads are the norm for his torrents, in simply a matter of days (not even weeks), he's usually the only seeder left. In less than a month he's already being asked to reseed completely dead torrents.

As for XDCC, you're right; a lot of people feel turned off about it because they're too lazy to learn how to use it, or when they attempt to they don't put enough effort in and don't do it properly and claim it doesn't work or it's too hard. The thing is, really it's as easy and copy/paste; just like if you had to copy a link and paste it into the address bar. It's the exact same action being taken. The only thing that might seem a little complicated is adding our Network to the IRC client for your initial use; which if Clients would add our Network to their software by default like we've requested; this step wouldn't even be required anymore.

Direct Downloads do seem like a good method if what you're wanting to do is cater to the majority of the users of this forum; but if all you do is upload files to your server and give direct links to folders or files... it can be abused pretty easily and links could end up stolen or posted elsewhere so your server ends up in a state similar to being ddossed.

If direct downloads is how you'd want to go. I'd suggest using some software to operate it. I'm unsure of any because I've never did it; but I'd say look for a way of limiting max total active downloads, perhaps max downloads in a specific time-frame, and prevent direct hotlinking from unknown sources (if they do; make it redirect to some page on your server).

As I said; unless you're releasing torrents on a ratio enforced private tracker with an actual active userbase; people will just hit and run it. ChoeyXD releases his stuff just on Nyaa for example, and while 500-1000 downloads are the norm for his torrents, in simply a matter of days (not even weeks), he's usually the only seeder left. In less than a month he's already being asked to reseed completely dead torrents.

As for XDCC, you're right; a lot of people feel turned off about it because they're too lazy to learn how to use it, or when they attempt to they don't put enough effort in and don't do it properly and claim it doesn't work or it's too hard. The thing is, really it's as easy and copy/paste; just like if you had to copy a link and paste it into the address bar. It's the exact same action being taken. The only thing that might seem a little complicated is adding our Network to the IRC client for your initial use; which if Clients would add our Network to their software by default like we've requested; this step wouldn't even be required anymore.

Direct Downloads do seem like a good method if what you're wanting to do is cater to the majority of the users of this forum; but if all you do is upload files to your server and give direct links to folders or files... it can be abused pretty easily and links could end up stolen or posted elsewhere so your server ends up in a state similar to being ddossed.

If direct downloads is how you'd want to go. I'd suggest using some software to operate it. I'm unsure of any because I've never did it; but I'd say look for a way of limiting max total active downloads, perhaps max downloads in a specific time-frame, and prevent direct hotlinking from unknown sources (if they do; make it redirect to some page on your server).

ok im going to setup the XDCC... just need someone to guide me step by step. will limit the upload to 5MBps so i still have some upload speed for torrents i seed and im still going to try out filehosts. if they delete my files its fine since i have every single file backed up on my server.

Can someone test out this Firedrive  link - its Batman Mask of Phantasm - Please let me know what speeds u get

http://www.firedrive.com/file/9F8699D50E5EAAE7

@John - thanks for the info. unfortunately i need babying so will try and get in touch with sakura. still have him on skype but not sure if he will respond.

@white wolf - will join channel tonight to have a chat.

@moodkiller - Thanks for testing it out. i also get quite good speeds with them

@undertehker - thanks for testing them all out!

Join #IPHONE for your more technical queries. It has 'some really BOSS advice from happy'. He does bite, though, so make sure you have a decent question and attempt to solve the problem yourself first...

If you want someone to do everything for you, ask Sakura`Kinomoto~

Really good advice, if you want happy to bite your ass off! LOL

Jokes aside, join it!