Dragon Ball Xenoverse (Discussion)

J-Lord

You are absolutely right in not comparing it to Budokai 3, but it can definitely be compared to Raging Blast/2 in terms of the battles at least.

My problem with these betas (or Network Test in this case) is that every time I have played such things in the past, the final product invariably is pretty much the same as it has been in the beta. Thus, I tend to find myself struggling to believe that any game will really change substantially between beta and release. Of course, this is DBZ, so it gets a special exception. :P

I guess I was sent on trying to make it its own type of game when really it is a bit like the raging blast series.

I know what you mean, I have the out too with the last few Betas I have played. But I have noticed the betas are sometimes a month or two before release and not 5-6 months. I think there will be things that will stay the same but other things will change. lets hope it improves and becomes the DBZ game I have dreamed of.

DBZ always gets an exception in my books, it just the matter of how far you can stretch that exception the makes or breaks the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't be suprised if only SSJ4 Goku and maybe Vegeta are added in, purely for good measure.

At the very least I would think that and that is really all I would hope for.

I think it being Dimps though they will at the very least have the SS4 transformations for Goku, Vegeta and Gogeta and add one villain being Omega. But who knows, they may just out do themselves with the amount of time they have before the release.

I am quite happy to see some GT make it into this game and would hope that some Movie characters will make it also.

Looks like we have a CE and a preorder edition for Europe. Screw the Trunks model, I wants me that steelbook.

hZftU6q.jpgEHyg8zF.jpg

Looks like I will be getting it, my brother loves Vegeta and SS4 Vegeta at that, if he is exclusive to this pre-order pack it is a must have for me. The Trunks Figure is ok, not what I would buy the pack for. I am also sure they will charge a pretty penny for this bundle. It is a nice pre-order pack, will have to see if my local game store has this as a pre-order, they should so I am not too worried.

The game is looking good but there is something that is bugging me................why are the characters so damn shiny ? are they covered in oil or something ? :lol:

Indeed it must be some special saiyan oil that gives them that super shine. Maybe the shine it to go with the new look dbz characters are given in most new art works even some of the ovas seem to have a shiny style to them.

This game looks like it will be good (unlike the Battle of Z ..) and thankfully we have the Super Saiyan 4.

Played BoZ and the Network demo of Xenoverse. I can say Xenoverse feels much better, but some of the combat still needs work. Though what i played would have only been a very early version of the game made playable for network testing only and not really gameplay testing.

• 1 month later...

Update: Latest info from a live stream of the game, shortened for your enjoyment.

• A male Majin character was chosen to be the custom avatar for the first bit of the stream. Male Majins can ONLY be fat, however you can make them slightly slimmer or larger. You can also change their height between four options which changes their look rather dramatically. You could have black or white eyes and change the colour of your pupils and skin tone to whatever you like.
  • There were 10 different voice options for male Majins alone.
  • It seems every race has height options, allowing you to make child characters of each race. Using different body types and skin tones will allow you to make alien looking races as well.
  • As we knew, mentors rome Toki Toki City and you can approach them. It also seems custom made NPC’s will rome Toki Toki City as well but their function remains yet to be seen.
  • Saw a created character that looked like Final Form Cooler but with different colours.
  • Appule and Larsberi, two of Frieza’s lesser known henchmen from the Frieza Saga are confirmed as playable characters along with the entire Ginyu Force. It is also confirmed Frieza 1st form, Final Form and 100% Final Form will be separate characters. Frieza has his Kai voice actor.
  • You tie certain skill and attack sets to alternate outfits which can then easily be selected in the character select screen for your created character.
  • It looks like characters will have HEAPS of alternate outfits. Vegeta alone has Saiyan Saga armour with scouter, without scouter, armour with shoulder pads and armour without shoulder pads. It looks like he has more that weren’t unlocked yet. Goku seems to have 15 and Nappa has 3. Certain move sets are tied to each outfit and can’t be changed, so unfortunately it appears you won’t be able to use any move set with any outfit.
  • Clothing items will have stats tied to them (unfortunately, hope we don’t just see everyone wearing the same outfit due to stats). It said these stat buffs won’t be too major.
  • It looks like local 1 on 1 battles can only be fought on the World Tournament Stage.
  • Lots of cool combos involving teleporting, cancelling, slamming your opponent to the ground and more.
  • Created characters will speak attack names such as Kamehameha.
  • Created Saiyans can go Super Saiyan 2 and most likely Super Saiyan 3 as they stopped before revealing it. When in Super Saiyan super moves won’t drain any ki, but you’re ki meter is constantly draining.
  • Everyone can use the Kaioken technique. Kaioken x3 and x20 are available.
  • Notable new clothing items I spotted include  Bardock’s Amour, Coolers Armoured Squad Armour, Turles Armour, Android 17, 18 (skirt), Beerus, Hercules and Dr Geros.
  • Notable accessories include Gero’s Hat, 19’s Hat, Great Saiyaman Helmet, Young Chi Chi Helmet, King Kai’s Hat, General Blue’s Army Cap, Bandages the Mummy Head (from Dragon Ball). Man they are going all out with these!
  • Z soul will buff your abilities and there a number of  different ones that activate under certain conditions.
  • New Super Attacks include Power Blitz (Android 17/18), Freedom Kick (Great Saiyaman) and X10 Kamehameha (SS4 Goku). There are many others listed as well. There are over 200 special attacks.
  • Some Super Attacks will buff your stats, such as fighting poses and Great Saiyamans Pose. There is a fairly long list of these. It is stated that a very low number of moves will be usable only by certain races.
  • New Ultimate Attacks include Supernova (First Form Frieza),  Spirit Sword (Super Vegito), Minus Energy Power Ball (Omega Shenron), x100 Big Bang Kamehameha (SS4 Gogeta) and many more. Again the list is very impressive. There are also strike Ultimate Attacks, not just energy blast based moves.
  • Chris Sabat (voice of Vegeta and Piccolo) was a special guest on the live feed. He revealed he voiced a number of the custom characters and also voiced a special ‘Easter Egg’ challenge.
  • Some moves involving a sword can be equipped to your custom character and they will pull a sword out of midair (supposedly if they do not have one equipped).
  • Level 60 is a level your custom character can reach however it is not the max level.
  • Beam struggles officially deconfirmed. The reason given was the 3 x 3 battles. (I still want to see a game where a teammate can start a beam struggle and then their teammates can join in to charge it up).
  • The game is still incomplete as Kid Gohan still had his Japanese voice.
  • DLC seems to be planned, some based on fan feedback.
  • There are over 70 characters at least in the game but based on some of the inclusions we are guessing there will be even more.
  • Like 1

Super 17, Original Anime to Appear in Dragon Ball Xenoverse Game
posted on 2014-12-16 22:30 EST

New Dragon Ball game for PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC to ship in Japan on February 5

xenoversedec.jpg

The February 2015 issue of Shueisha's V Jump magazine is revealing on Saturday that Super 17 from Dragon Ball GT will appear in the upcoming Dragon Ball Xenoverse game. The magazine will also announce that the game will feature an original video anime (OVA) relating to the events inthe game.

The game will ship for the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, and Xbox 360 consoles in Japan on February 5, and the first copies will include a download code for Akira Toriyama's manga heroJaco the Galactic Patrolman as a playable character. Other early bonuses include a download code for a Master Roshi set for character customization, a Trunks:Xeno battle card for the Dragon BallHeroes game, and a serial code to use Trunks:Xeno in the Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battlesmartphone game.

In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, players take on the role of an original character who teams up with Trunks and the Kai of Time to stop the new characters Towa and Mira from changing the course of history in the Dragon Ball story.

Bandai Namco Games unveiled the game in Japan in May and announced in June that the gamewill receive a Western release. In addition to the consoles, the game will be available on PC on the Steam platform.

• 2 months later...

DRAGONBALL XENOVERSE IS OUT!!! AND THE GAME IS EVERY BIT OF WHAT IT WAS HYPED TO BE!!

.........But at the same time, that hype was literally too much for it to handle. xD

According to most players from steam, gamefaq and even PSN/Xbox (including myself), the game apparently now has WAY too many peeps than originally expected. So the Xenoverse server has been constantly having hiccups because of this and it is causing problems in the online portions of the game.

And some believe that the server may be a combined one because of this "coincidentally" happening to PS3/4 and Xbox users too. :X

Links:

https://twitter.com/dbxenoverse

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805627-dragon-ball-xenoverse/71292890

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-4-Support/DBZ-Xenoverse-online-isn-t-working/td-p/44995402

http://www.reddit.com/r/dbxv/comments/2x10d7/server_issues/

http://steamcommunity.com//app/323470/discussions/

Another sad thing is, this game lacks the option to choose if you wanna play offline without the server related features. (for now)

Only workaround atm to playing single player and local multiplayer is either d/c your net when launching the game, or play it by having steam in offline mode.

I have the game on Xbox One and it is indeed the best DBZ game I have played in a long time. It does have some down sides but they do not spoil the game for me. And yes I agree with the online portion of the game, most of the time when I play a online parallel quest with my friends we all get booted to the main menu after the mission (though I prefer it to dot hat after the mission and not during like some other online games do).

On the positive side the online part of the game can only get better with time if the developers choose to work on them.

Good things:

• The combat is actually suprisingly good and very fast paced/frantic.
  • The interaction between characters during fight is also quite amusing.
  • The main story is very interesting and unique, so I really like that.

Bad things:

• Whoever did the English writing should be shot.
  • I have not been able to connect to the multi-online hub world once yet.
  • Quite a lot of minor glitchyness.

The difficulty tends to spike quite suddenly too and it seems the only thing to do is repeat old missions to up your stats. It is also quite difficult to figure out some of the additional secrets during missions as there seems to be no hints or anything as to how to trigger them.

Overall though, I quite like it.

Good things:

• The combat is actually suprisingly good and very fast paced/frantic.

The interaction between characters during fight is also quite amusing.

The main story is very interesting and unique, so I really like that.

Bad things:

• Whoever did the English writing should be shot.

I have not been able to connect to the multi-online hub world once yet.

Quite a lot of minor glitchyness.

The difficulty tends to spike quite suddenly too and it seems the only thing to do is repeat old missions to up your stats. It is also quite difficult to figure out some of the additional secrets during missions as there seems to be no hints or anything as to how to trigger them.

Overall though, I quite like it.

I pretty much agree with all that you said but I will post my review non the less.

I am taking my time with the game (That and I don't get a lot of time to play during the days due to work and other things). But I am trying to enjoy it for every bit the game offers.

Positives:

-The main story is great to play and offers a unique spin off the story we all know and love. I love seeing how badly the timezones get when left unchecked by your help (What they show before you start a mission).

-Parallel Quests, where this type of thing may bore me in other games I love it in a DBZ game especially when playing with friends. Not to mention trying to get some of those rewards the missions offer have you coming back for more. There is an exception though see below in negatives.

- All characters seem to play different and offer endless fun when playing

- Combat system is great

- Soundtrack has some great pieces in it

- Create your own DBZ character. This was one of the main sellers for me when DB:UT came out but the games horrible combat system made it hard for me to continue to play even though I got to make a DBZ character. This years game does not fall into that same trap and offer more customization with your characters.

Negatives:

-Some of the Voice Acting is good other times it is shocking. Even the dialouge sounds off as if they should be saying something else rather than what they are saying.

- Parallel mission secret objectives. trying to unlock the extra bit in these mission can be fun but also rather painful. Even when you unlock them to see how they are suppose to be done you cannot always do them as they say, I think there is a bit of randomness to them or it doesn't tell you everything you need to know to unlock them.

- Anime cut scenes are a nice touch but I think the game would be better without them as they seem really cheap.

Will review more when I get closer to finishing the game.

• Like 1

One additional thing that I have found to be quite good is the amount of supers/ultimates. Raditz has 2 ultimates for example, which is great.

Most imporatnly here, though, is that there is not an over abundance of generic attacks, particular the shoot-load-of-bolts-really-fast BS that always seemed to get copy and pasted around in the other 3D DBZ games.

• 2 weeks later...