Eve's Showcase

@lemmingllama, Thank you! Yeah, not to sound defensive but I blend it so it doesn't take focus away from the rest of the sig, but I have over blended some and can see how others would have a hard time seeing it when I don't, I guess it's like getting a stain on a shirt, you see it cause you know it's there, but others can't because they don't know what to look for.

@Moodkiller, Thanks! I used to do request when I was on the GFX team, but it was never my strong suit, so I quit doing them. But to get that effect, I just add the border to the background only.

@Moodkiller, Thanks! I used to do request when I was on the GFX team, but it was never my strong suit, so I quit doing them. But to get that effect, I just add the border to the background only.

Ah ok I see now. Well keep the good work :). So for example this one: 

tumblr_n5ab14t9Ep1rcxwm9o1_500.png

(to me) was the one that looked like it was behind a pane of glass? The vertical white transparent lines give it that impression 

• Like 1

I have a love/hate relationship with this Celty sig, I really wish the border would have worked out, but the way I wanted to do the text just didn't look good with a border.

tumblr_n5qx76tjql1rcxwm9o1_500.png

My biggest problem with this one, is the blank space on the upper left side, everything I tried just didn't look good, so I just left it blank, which still doesn't look great but it was better than anything I tried.
tumblr_n5qx76tjql1rcxwm9o2_500.png

And this one, I feel like the text stands out a little too much and that it kinda looks like the render is just placed on a background...
tumblr_n5qx76tjql1rcxwm9o3_1280.png

Edited by ParasiteEve
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I assess that most of your focal points are renders and not stocks, which isn't a bad thing. Instead of dropping the opacity on the entire layer, focus your eraser tool with a lower opacity setting on certain points in the layer to add a little more depth. Also overlay some effects and use the same method. This will help with blending so the appearance isn't flat. Another quick tip is lower your image dimensions, it will help you focus more on proper focal placement and give you a better opportunity to increase flow pattern with your brushes, text, ect.

I haven't done any design work on the computer in a few years, so I am not current with the new PS and it's tools and layout, but I will help you in any way possible if you have any questions regarding what I just stated or anything in general.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the tips, I'll try them out for sure! 
I think I understand most of what you said, but I might take you up on that offer if I ever get stuck on something, I've been dying for some c&c so this means alot. :)

The only thing I've used is photofiltre a long time ago and photoshop elements, I'm using PSE9 right now.

Newest

tumblr_n91h191oLj1rcxwm9o1_500.png

Original

tumblr_n93jmfmG6F1rcxwm9o2_500.png

Recolor
I tried to get rid of that weird looking purple, It took me a while to get a "good" flesh tone.
I've never done a recolor like this before, so I don't know if I did it right or even if it looks good. :/
tumblr_n93jmfmG6F1rcxwm9o1_500.png

When I get my computer (whenever that may be) I'll have you send me some .PSDs of your signatures and I'll walk you thru your layers and show you some edits to see how you can affect certain aspects. Sometimes it's just the simplest tweaks that make the difference. How long does it take you on average to start and finish a piece?

Try adding a light source to the last one to give it more depth. If you emboss your text one more time like on the second sig I will not talk to you for 5 minutes (I'm serious)! Get rid of the soft glow in the 3rd one and put some color overlays to blend the render to the bg more. Not gonna touch the first one because I feel bad that the female render has an eating disorder. Speaking of render, experiment with stocks! Stocks are where the real magic of sig design is at! I started with renders too, but rarely ever use them now.

I'll try that with the first one when I get home.

WHOA! Okay I swear it didn't look that bad in Photoshop, but understood!

That last one is an improvement though.... Right???

I didn't use renders on the last two and I've got a couple of wipe that aren't renders. I gotta say I do like stocks better.

Anyhow thanks for the c&c and I'll keep trying.