Physical or Digital Media??

StaticX

Physical or Digital Media??  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Physical or Digital Media??

• Physical (DVD, Bluray)
    • Digital (DDL)

While digital is superior, I vastly prefer physical. The DRM has a negligible effect on the longevity of the media for DVDs and Blurays, and it is easy to make DRM-free digital backups these days with all of the software available. Aside from physically owning it and being able to display them, I think it is also nice to be able to resell them later on. Some of them can retain a lot of value, especially if they become OOP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Physical is what's worth paying for.

Digital should almost always be free, with only very specialized exceptions. It's basically a win-win, actually - it would simultaneously eradicate the very concept of piracy, and allow companies to jack up prices of physical copies through the roof for collectors without receiving too many complaints.

• 1 month later...

I am totally for physical media, kinda sad it is phasing out. Having something tangible, that can't just disappear in the cloud or with a computer crash or service shut down, is a big plus to me. It is much easier to bring it around with you or lend it out to a friend, and you can also resell it. Also, I have noticed at times the physical version being cheaper than the digital counterpart.

1 hour ago, EccentricOne said:

Digital is better, no contest. I rip my blurays and its so much easier to access my content over my network than go to shelf, find exact disc with thing I want..  Put it in... Wait for menus, select episode

Vs double clicking my media drive and then show name and episode

I'm lazy :P

Yeah, digital is definitely a plus for binge watching too. No need to change discs.

i have 0 interest for physical copies many years now. even books, kindle ftw xD they get dusty need cleaning , care to handle, they might scratch, they take up space and need hardware players

if i had my way too many games and idk how many movies and series on disks,idk Id need another house :P and the time it takes to find something  when you have a large collection.

I used to be a disc hoarder and still have like ~ 4k dvds. but last 10 years ive become digital hoarder or by now id have over 10k disks.

never bought 1 BD disk amd i dont even own a BD player, by the time they came out physical was already dead for me xD 

and i also imagine that like dvds kinda deprecated when crt and sd phased out, that ll happen with BDs too at some point, leaving me with a metric ton of useless plastic

Edited by sfaxt

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used to be a physical, then I gave all my cassettes (Yes... cassettes! lol), DVDs and CDs away as I had soo many boxes of them.  They were hidden away not being played. 

I find with digital I'm able to collect again the songs that I enjoy and not have a whole album with one song that I like.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

While digital can be rather convenient I still prefer physical. I like to have a box or something to look at, I dunno. It also might be the case of me look at it like you only really own the media in question when its physical. When you have it digital, lets say on iTunes, its not really yours, you kinda borrow the music. Not that its going to happen but lets say itunes Shuts down, you lose your music. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I prefer digital. I dislike the clutter of owning thousands of cases that i find aesthetically displeasing. Even fancy boxsets. Does not suit my sense of style. Also is a pain in the arse when moving. Digital copies are far more convenient.

When I moved to Japan a few year ago, I gave way a bookshelf worth of anime on Reddit because I just did not want to deal with it.