Arrow (The CW, 2012 TV Series)

dcv1979

12.jpg

Arrow is an American television series developed by writer/producers Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, and Andrew Kreisberg. It is based on the DC Comics character Green Arrow, a costumed crime-fighter who was created by Mort Weisinger and George Papp. It premiered in North America on The CW on October 10, 2012, with international broadcasting taking place in late 2012. The series follows billionaire playboy Oliver Queen, portrayed by Stephen Amell, who, after five years of being stranded on a hostile island, returns home to fight crime and corruption as a secret vigilante whose weapon of choice is a bow and arrow. Unlike in the comic books, Oliver does not go by the alias "Green Arrow" in the television series. Arrow also features appearances by other DC Comics characters.

The series takes a realistic look at the Green Arrow character, as well as other characters from the DC Comics universe. Although Oliver Queen/Green Arrow had been featured in the television series Smallville from 2006 to 2011, the producers decided to start clean and find a new actor (Amell) to portray the character. Arrow focuses on the humanity of Oliver Queen, and how his time on a presumably deserted island affected him. The creative team chose to illustrate that in the series by crafting flashback scenes to the island for every episode. The series is primarily filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Arrow has received generally favorable reviews from critics, and was the highest rated new series on the CW in past five years up to its release. The series averaged approximately 3.68 million viewers over the course of the first season, and has garnered multiple award nominations and three wins. To assist in promotion, a preview comic book was released before the television series began; webisodes featuring a product tie-in with Bose were developed for the second season. The first season is available on DVD and Blu-ray in regions 1, 2 and 4 and a soundtrack of it also been released. The second season of Arrow premiered on October 9, 2013.

On February 13, 2014, The CW renewed the series for a third season.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

It was good to see Constantine after that show was dropped. Pretty decent cross-over and tie-in. Constantine brought Sara's soul back so she'll be ready to cross-over into Legends of Tomorrow. Still not really happy that Flash and Arrow both this season so far has been little more than just a lot of build up and advertisement towards Legends of Tomorrow. I mean the episodes have been decent, but I'd like to see some of the shows stand on their own again.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, Thomas_JCG said:

This season is pretty weak too, mostly because it tried to fix the disaster that season 3 was. Sadly, they are not doing it so well. The real highlights come from crossover episodes.

And seriously, this show needs to stop ripping off Batman.

Yeah, it didn't help that the focus of the first like 8 episodes were just big advertising and build up to the premiere of Legends of Tomorrow.

As for the ripping off Batman comment, it's kind of hard not too considering Green Arrow has pretty much always felt like a poor version of Batman. He's given me those vibes in pretty much any medium he's featured in.

That said, Arrows strong point was when it was just him and Diggle. I feel like if Thea went a way and Laurel stopped pretending to be something she isn't; the show would feel a lot stronger. As for Felicity; I use to really like her character, but this season has ruined that. Now I just want her to leave.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 31/03/2016 at 6:30 PM, Koby said:

First episode where I actually liked Laurel. Really seemed like they'll be pushing Ollie x Laurel though.

I like that they've started deviating away from the comic lore now. I've never really liked the on-screen chemistry between Ollie and Laurel, the two actors just don't click. So it's good to see them not forcing that relationship down our throats now, since in the comics they're married.

2 hours ago, Darkshadow6400 said:

I like that they've started deviating away from the comic lore now. I've never really liked the on-screen chemistry between Ollie and Laurel, the two actors just don't click. So it's good to see them not forcing that relationship down our throats now, since in the comics they're married.

I take it that you didn't watched last week episode, " Eleven-Fifty-Nine "

Spoiler

Laurel dies. She is stabbed by Darhk in revenge and dies on the hospital.

Although I'm positive they were just faking it.

3 hours ago, Thomas_JCG said:

I take it that you didn't watched last week episode, " Eleven-Fifty-Nine "

Reveal hidden contents

Laurel dies. She is stabbed by Darhk in revenge and dies on the hospital.

Although I'm positive they were just faking it.

I did. That's why I said it's good they're not forcing it down our throats now. Kinda hard to do that now

• 1 month later...

I wish Felicity would go away. Funny because last season I liked her, but this season I hated her. They got rid of Laurel about the time I finally started to like her. It's nice to see Speedy and Diggle leave, but I feel like they'll be back early next season. Malcolm needs to die/vanish. He's overstayed his welcome and Curtis should take over for Felicity, and let Ollie handle the normal villains like that of season 1. Show needs to forget about super powered and/or magic utilizing villains.

At this point the flashbacks of island time need to end. He was only there for 5 years and we've had 4 seasons of flashbacks there. So if they do continue them, it shouldn't continue past next season... either way it really feels like they've ran out of shit to do in the flashbacks and now just add them as filler to hit the timespan needed for a full episode because there wasn't enough 'now' to tell.

I also still think that we either need shorter seasons, or we need shorter story arcs. This whole 23 episodes for one story arc just goes on way too long and they add way too much filler to make it last that it just becomes tedious and repetitive. How many times did Darhk overwhelm them this season, only to let them go to fight another day? The whole Darhk plot should have been over in the first half of the season; even with all those LOT buildup/promotion episodes there and the whole 15k nukes thing was just ridiculously way over the top. The governments should have stepped in more than just Argus. That's not really something that Team Arrow should be tackling in my opinion.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sudoku said:

Actually I like the last few seasons more than I liked the first few seasons. 

Definitely want a more Batman feel - since they are not bringing Batman to TV with Gotham airing, having Arrow run with Batman's best storylines works for me.

Are you feeling all right? A little dizzy, perhaps? When was the last time you ate something?

Because is beyond inconceivable for someone to like the recent seasons more than the first two. Opinions apart, the show took a massive loss of quality, losing the realistic grounding that made the show interesting in the first place and every character became a shadow of its former self, sulking in self-loathing instead of adding anything useful.

Even worse, desiring to see Batman's storylines in the middle of this mess. Everyone saw the piss poor job they did with the League of Assassins last season: What was the world elite group of killers nothing but three or four guys that couldn't land a blow against anyone, living on a Fortress that gets breached by anyone. Ra's went from being a cold and calculating menace to just a jerk. Why was he so interested in destroying Star City again? And look how it even ended, with him dead for good and the League being disbanded like it was garage rock band.

-------------------------------------

I gave up on this show shortly after Laurel's death, and this ridiculous over the top finale solidified my choice. I cannot understand how they blew it all so badly, they had the best hero show and turned it into a pile of burning garbage. Clearly trying to establish the "Arrowverse" took a toll on the writers, and this two sorry seasons show it.

Nah, look at the other superhero shows such as Supergirl, and that was boring / uninspiring.

True, Arrow could have done more with the League of Assassins, but it is incorporating Batman-inspired villians and Batman-inspired themes in the first place is which is why I like Arrow.

I do look forward to the 4 part multiverse crossover with DC Legends / Flash / Supergirl and will be watching it next season.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Koby changed the title to Arrow (The CW, 2012 TV Series)