whats more important to you, gaming or story

sal42

I equally enjoy good story and good gameplay. A game can have one or the other and I might still enjoy it. One can compensate for the other and vice-versa.

However, gameplay is what keeps me playing. I could play a game for 16 hours straight if I really like the gameplay. On the other hand, story is what makes me fondly remember a game. If I really like the story I would remember that game for as long as possible. I would fondly remember the characters and the events that took place and then share them with other people. For that reason, I think story is more important to me.

I got addicted to Game Dev Tycoon and played it till morning. Obviously, it doesn't have much of a story but the gameplay was addicting. The player makes up his/her own story.

To the Moon doesn't have decent gameplay but I really liked the story. My heart melted.

A game can have one or the other so long as it does that one thing really well.

Edited by Valkexia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Either or, really.

For instance, the gameplay in Deadpool is average at best, but the character is done so well that I still enjoy it.

Or Yume Nikki. Not a whole lot to the gameplay, but the story (or lack thereof) keeps me going. Same with Dear Esther, same with Misao, same with Mad Father.

Then there's Beyond Good & Evil, where the gameplay is perfectly intertwined with the storytelling. Or any Pokemon game for the handheld consoles: wonderful open world environment with not that complicated a story.

• 2 months later...

Storylines are required to keep you invested in the game but gameplay is what makes you enjoy it. I'd say both done as well as posible is what makes he greats, but I place a greater value on gameplay. Also I utterly despise 'quick time events' that have become a disease upon the gaming industry. This is my personal opinion and I realise that other people will feel differently.

first and foremost the game must have a good story. A game can have flawless game-play but if it doesn't have the appropriate story to keep the player interested in continuing the game to the end then the game isn't worth playing. though I believe this should only be applied to big-budget games and titles, smaller budget games gameplay would be more important overall for example angry birds and plants vs zombies.

• 4 weeks later...

For me the most important aspects of a video game (or of anything for that matter... books,video games, etc.) are the story and the characters development. The graphics and the gameplay could be modest and I will either way play the game and enjoy it as long as the plot and the characters are interesting.

(for co-op I accept anything, though xD)