The fate of the Wii U.

Cothdor

Since the Wii U is doing quite bad, and the PS4 and X1 making more sales in their first one or two months than the Wii U had in an entire year what do you guys think will happen? I don't think Nintendo will completely drop it and let it die but do you think they might make a new console sooner than they usually would?

Not likely. Probably they will either go for some cool addons (powerglove anyone?) or will just focus on their portable consoles. Besides, Nintendo has typically been for more casual gamers or younger audiences, and those groups won't buy quite as many games as the "hardcore" gamers or those with more disposable income.

Also, just to comment on the Wii U doing badly, I'm fairly certain that they are still turning a profit with it. Not quite as big of one as the PS4 or XBone but still enough to keep Nintendo in the running.

What's an X1 / XBone?  Never mind, I figured it out myself.
Llama pretty much covered everything on that.

My personal opinion is that they will probably keep selling it for a while, at least until the profits become undesirable enough or they think of another system to release, or as Llama said they might just release new add ons to it to slightly boost profits.

I personally like WIi U's since my friend has one, and it's pretty fun since I like more childish games.

I think in terms of handheld consoles (Wii U for example), they're fine to leave it as it is. Even if it's just as a sign saying, "We're not dead yet!"

I heard Osborn talk about Nintendo on one of his podcasts, and I pretty much agreed with what he said. This isn't an exact quote, but it was something along the lines of:

"Nintendo's games are amazing, but they're losing the console war. I believe that they should move into game/software development, and put less money and focus into their consoles"

When I heard that, I thought to myself about what consoles/games I play. I love the nintendo games (Mario Party, Smash Brothers, etc.) But I would buy the sony/microsoft Next Gen games, because they have games + stronger consoles.
However, if I could buy Nintendo games on the PS4, I would do that in a heart beat! Mario Party is my #1 favorite game, but I wouldn't buy a whole console just for it. :x

I'm a big fan of Nintendo though, and always will be!

I think in terms of handheld consoles (Wii U for example), they're fine to leave it as it is. Even if it's just as a sign saying, "We're not dead yet!"

I heard Osborn talk about Nintendo on one of his podcasts, and I pretty much agreed with what he said. This isn't an exact quote, but it was something along the lines of:

"Nintendo's games are amazing, but they're losing the console war. I believe that they should move into game/software development, and put less money and focus into their consoles"

When I heard that, I thought to myself about what consoles/games I play. I love the nintendo games (Mario Party, Smash Brothers, etc.) But I would buy the sony/microsoft Next Gen games, because they have games + stronger consoles.

However, if I could buy Nintendo games on the PS4, I would do that in a heart beat! Mario Party is my #1 favorite game, but I wouldn't buy a whole console just for it. :x

I'm a big fan of Nintendo though, and always will be!

The Wii U is not a handheld console though. But what you are saying is that they should do what Sega did? Where Sega stopped making consoles and just make games now.

Edited by Cothdor

• 2 months later...

I think they should try to come up with a shooter. The last console I bought was N64 and I got it specifically for Golden Eye 007. Before I got N64, I even went to Best Buy to play it.

Nintendo perhaps should make something as good as Golden Eye or Perfect Dark to bring in the shooter fanboys.

I see no reason for nintendo to not reach out to the more "mature", and I use those quotes lightly, gamers.

Well, it's better than xbone one & ps4 atm, put it that way :P

Compelling argument backed up by a well thought out reason.

Wii U † Nintendo 2012 5.86 million

Xbox One † Microsoft 2013 3–3.9 million

It was out a year longer and despite that X1 has better third party sales rates.

Without third parties you only have first party to look forward too and Nintendo puts out minimal titles per year.

Well, it's better than xbone one & ps4 atm, put it that way :P

Compelling argument backed up by a well thought out reason.

Wii U † Nintendo 2012 5.86 million

Xbox One † Microsoft 2013 3–3.9 million

It was out a year longer and despite that X1 has better third party sales rates.

Without third parties you only have first party to look forward too and Nintendo puts out minimal titles per year.

So you would rather buy a $500-600 Betamax lookalike with no option to play or download previous Xbox 360 games, and the only way to play them is to stream games with a minimum connection that's 5mb's capable?

Here's my problem with the Wii U- I don't see it as much of an upgrade from the original wii. On top of that, they force that stupid tablet thing in (raising the price by about $100+) when I don't really see a need for it. There's a reason Nintendo put it out a year before the Xbone and PS4. I think they knew it wouldn't stand a chance against those two except for those who are very casual gamers or just didn't have the money for the other two.

Does it have a future- Yes, easily. Nintendo isn't stupid, though sometime I certainly think so.

However, as the game libraries for the other two increase and the price decreases, I think it'll force Nintendo's hand for add-ons, price drops, and maybe some innovativness like when they first came out with the Wii.

So you would rather buy a $500-600 Betamax lookalike with no option to play or download previous Xbox 360 games, and the only way to play them is to stream games with a minimum connection that's 5mb's capable?

No, I bought my Xbox One to play Xbox One games. I still have a 360 if I want to play 360 games. I don't think MS has made a official announcement if they'll do the 360 game streaming, just that they were having internal talks about it.

As far as internet goes, I'm not worried about that. I download GB's big movie files in less than ten minutes.

I heard Wii U still has more sales than the other systems right now.

Also Wii U and 3DS is the only console doing well in japan right now.

PS4 is already beating Wii U globally by 700k.

In Japan Wii U is losing to the Vita by a million and is only beating the PS4 by a million. X1 not released there yet.

Here's my problem with the Wii U- I don't see it as much of an upgrade from the original wii.

I can give you a 1080p reasons of why it's a upgrade...