Recent Gaming Purchases?

Kid Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up The Witness through the monthly Humble Bundle subscription. Along with it I got Layers of Fear, Black Mesa, Kingdom: New Lands, event[0], Tumblestone, and Slime-San (I've only heard of one of these games so it should be interesting).

I also bought INSIDE and The Talos Principle because they were on sale. 

...and yes, sometimes I buy too many games.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Faronil said:

I demand a PC release ! :o

Maybe one day...

Unfortunately, Atlus has already said it will never be on a platform outside of the PS3 or PS4, or at least not on a system other than Playstation. spin-offs are possible on other platforms, but not the game itself, like Persona Q. Even Persona 4 with its Golden remake was still Playstation exclusive.

Edited by ragnawind

22 minutes ago, Toddler Naruto said:

@deanzel Congrats on your $400 PS4 Pro.

I'm hoping to own a $250-$300 PS4 Slim by BF 2017/2018 here.

He said on IRC that he got it for $280. I will eventually upgrade from my launch PS4 to the PS4 Pro, but that will have to wait until I get the Nintendo Switch, since I would rather a new system over an upgrade for an old one.

23 minutes ago, ragnawind said:

He said on IRC that he got it for $280. I will eventually upgrade from my launch PS4 to the PS4 Pro, but that will have to wait until I get the Nintendo Switch, since I would rather a new system over an upgrade for an old one.

I don't plan on owning a Switch until BF 2018, there are only a few games I want so far.

Also how did @deanzel only pay $280 for a PS4 Pro?

I was considering buying a Pro, but since I don't see myself having a 4K TV for MANY years, PS4 Slim will suffice.

32 minutes ago, Toddler Naruto said:

I don't plan on owning a Switch until BF 2018, there are only a few games I want so far.

Also how did @deanzel only pay $280 for a PS4 Pro?

I was considering buying a Pro, but since I don't see myself having a 4K TV for MANY years, PS4 Slim will suffice.

It was pre-owned, but apparently, nothing was wrong with it. The PS$ Pro has more to offer than just 4K, also. It allows games to run at closer to a constant 60FPS with less framerate drops and supports HDR, also, which doesn't require 4K or even an HDR-capable TV, though it is better with an HDR-capable TV. The Switch currently doesn't have much for me, currently, but will within the next few months.

13 hours ago, ragnawind said:

It was pre-owned, but apparently, nothing was wrong with it. The PS$ Pro has more to offer than just 4K, also. It allows games to run at closer to a constant 60FPS with less framerate drops and supports HDR, also, which doesn't require 4K or even an HDR-capable TV, though it is better with an HDR-capable TV. The Switch currently doesn't have much for me, currently, but will within the next few months.

Lucky deanzel then I guess. I would never risk buying a gaming console used/pre-owned.

I know about all of those improvements, but I'll never be able to afford spending $400 on a console with my current job.

Hence why I have to settle for a much cheaper PS4 Slim...

7 hours ago, Toddler Naruto said:

Lucky deanzel then I guess. I would never risk buying a gaming console used/pre-owned.

I know about all of those improvements, but I'll never be able to afford spending $400 on a console with my current job.

Hence why I have to settle for a much cheaper PS4 Slim...

Lucky me, indeed :D 

Usually I won't go with a pre-owned console either (hence literally all my other console purchases including my recent Switch), however, the PS4 Pro just released like 6 months ago or so. Even if the person is "lying" about when they bought it, it can't be more than 6 months old. This one was in great condition as well, which could be seen immediately. He bought it 4 months ago, barely played, and when he did play it, it was mostly digital versions of games. Couldn't pass up the deal :P 

Edited by deanzel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanis said:

Just be sure to get a bigger HDD.
I've got a 4TB in mine and it's GLORIOUS.

Those updates and mandatory installs can get INSANE.

Wait, I thought you could only load a 2.5" drive into a PS4? I'll hold off as long as possible on a drive upgrade because now you can just plug an external 3.0 HDD into the PS4 and use it with the new firmware (I believe this was added).

I'd be more interested in installing a SSD to improve loading times and speed (like a 500GB SSD). It provides improvements on the PS4 Pro, right?

20 minutes ago, deanzel said:

Wait, I thought you could only load a 2.5" drive into a PS4? I'll hold off as long as possible on a drive upgrade because now you can just plug an external 3.0 HDD into the PS4 and use it with the new firmware (I believe this was added).

I'd be more interested in installing a SSD to improve loading times and speed (like a 500GB SSD). It provides improvements on the PS4 Pro, right?

SSD only provides a slight performance boost and only for digital downloads, since physical games still need to read from the disc with their full installs. A hybrid would likely be better and cheaper. The USB 3.0 support is available and a better alternative to full on SSD. You can add up to 8TV with external storage and 4TV with an internal 2.5 inch SATA drive.

On 4/23/2017 at 9:13 AM, Tanis said:

Just be sure to get a bigger HDD. I've got a 4TB in mine and it's GLORIOUS.

Those updates and mandatory installs can get INSANE.

You only need more HDD space though if you hoard games. I always delete them after they've been completed.

Despite that though, I may be tempted to upgrade my PS4's HDD at some point, once I own one that is.

21 hours ago, deanzel said:

Yes, PS4s can only accept 2.5" drives, but they go up to 4TB with the PS4 internally. Also yes the External HDD feature was finally added earlier this year.

I agree with @ragnawind that you'd be better off with a hybrid over an SSD though. HDD space matters more than the tiny speed boosts normal SSD will provide.