help

sasuke chan

It almost certainly is a ratsnake, I used to keep a couple ratsnakes, northern watersnakes ( feisty critters, I used to catch them in the ravine near my house ),and a western hognose. Could you post better or at least closer pics of its head and some pics of its belly, so I can be sure, please. Also hognoses tend to release a nasty musk when flustered, similar to a garter snakes.

Edited by Spacecreepkitan

well... that may very well be a hognose lol. The coloration and patterns are right-ish for an Eastern Hognose, and the shape of it's head does seem to suggest it is venomous. How's its temperment ? Did it try the stereotypical play dead response that hognoses are famous for ? Did it flatten out ? Did it release a musk when you captured it ? Hognoses are rear fanged and their venom isn't all that toxic to humans anyway, they aren't usually tooooo aggressive either ( though I have seen some rather feisty ones too ). Did you by chance get a glimpse inside its mouth ? If it didn't have any evident fangs then there is absolutely no worries. Just be aware that atleast in my experience hognoses aren't always very keen on eating mice, some will eat them others won't. I can't really tell if it has the typical upturned nose from any of your photos, can you confirm whether or not this feature is present ?

Hognose it is :D they tend to be picky eaters, if you decide to try feeding it mice, whack the mice against a wall first, I had a horrible experience with a mouse biting a young ball python :*(  How large is he ?  depending on size you may want to try pinkies, fuzzies, or if he is larger, adult mice. Mine really liked crickets when it was young, he also liked salamanders, I had to catch those though.

I've only really had luck with crickets, I used to transfer mine to a separate feeding container that was smaller than his tank for feeding ( I usually put atleast a half dozen crickets in there with him ) Eastern hognoses ( which is what I suspect you have ) are extremely hard to switch over to rodents, in the wild they eat toads,frogs,salamanders, and such, you may want to try scenting the pinkies with canned tuna fish juice, also try feeding them to him frozen ( defrost them first ), if he refuses move to live. You can go to a pet store and ask them about Eastern hognose snakes, I know I never had luck finding feeder frogs or toads for mine but most frogs and toads are inexpensive, you just need to be careful as some frogs and toads will likely be too toxic for him. I s'pose you can try earthworms too, though I've never personally tried them, it's worth a shot.

Edited by Spacecreepkitan

Are you intending on keeping this snake permanently, or just for a while? I generally follow the idea that wild things belong in the wild. From what you have described it seems tame enough to keep, but I still think one from a pet store would better handle the stress that would come from being a pet. I don't want to come off as if I'm trying to put down the idea of you keeping it either, because I can't even remember the number of creatures I brought home as a kid. I'm just trying to say that it may be a good idea to step back and think about what you will be putting the animal through.

• Like 1