Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) (Wit Studio)

RazorDan

18 hours ago, Scyrous said:

Edit: got a new piece of unrelated info for you all. Looks like the ending theme for the first cour is called Requiem der Morgenröte, by Linked Horizon.

YAAAS can't wait to hear it😍
Seems  like this series really knows how to please all kinds of fans.

Edited by Pi7on

Now after two episodes I can say that so far the only things I really like are both the OP and the ED.
The rest I'm not so sure about. Yet.
I don't know if it really was such a good or wise decision to cut up two entirely different events, mesh them into a single one and set up everything else to somehow make it all fit.

Edited by cinnamox

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, blueeyedtig said:

The animation in this season is amazing!!!! It is a huge leap from season 2's wacky CG titans. I am excited to see how beautiful it will get over the next few weeks.

Well aside of the CG colossal, season 2 animation was pretty great, both animation and art wise.
Imho it's not a leap that huge, since CG applied to characters just wouldn't look good on S3 either, nor on any anime in general as of today. (with the exception of Houseki no Kuni)
But I agree the sakuga scenes so fare have been amazing, Levi swinging around in ep 1 in first place.

I just would like to mention that the pacing so far is insanely fast.
Episode 3 was so far the best one. It really did its best to wrap up all changes that have been made with the first two episodes, with the exception of the portayal of Historia of course. The confrontation between her and Rod Reiss was immensely disappointing though, it almost felt like she reverted back to her former broken/weak girl persona.
There was absolutely no need to do that just for the anime. No idea why they felt the need to make that change.
Episode 4 was nice too. I had my worries concering the Flegel and news press subplot, but this got handled pretty well.
However, Levi Squad's fell WAY too short. I was looking forward to how the anime would adapt their first real assault on the MP, but it got reduced to a tiny checkpoint.
That was underwhelming, to say the least. But of course, saved a lot of time for the sake of fast pacing I suppose.
If this keeps up then we'll get to the "the place where it all began", like Rod Reiss put it, starting Episode 6 already.
Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing...

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found a great comment on Reddit that I'm gonna post here because I'm getting tired of people saying ''but the manga is different reeeeeeeeeee''.

Credit to /u/jblakk. Post contains minor references to the manga.

Spoiler

I ask you this. How does the "decision" for change seem weird or confuse you if the main objective was to fix the initial reaction of first time viewers? They made the pace faster and less stilted, that is neither better or worse objectively speaking. It is just different. A difference that is proven to create a better fan reception.

The anime onlies (which is the only unbiased interpretation of the anime arc) reaction is at the same consistent love and support of the series as the previous seasons. Compare that to the manga where this arc was polarizing to put it lightly. The perception was at about a 60/40 approval rating at estimate and is a far worse ratio in comparison to the other arcs.

Screw hindsight, screw reareads, and screw the monthly release excuse. The fact of the matter is when that arc was showcased initially, there was a huge separation of opinions of the arc as a whole. That was the initial reaction and that is all we can go off of on the school of thought on why the change happened.

People will use the monthly release of the manga as a reasoning for people not liking the arc, but even the Marley arc had a higher approval rating. In fact, in season 2 after the amazing first episode, the Sasha episode and episode 3 had a lower approval rating where a lot of people claimed that AoT lost it's spunk. It wasn't until the Ymir reveal and then the RB reveal happened where things started to pick up and AoTs momentum was back in good form like seaosn 1 was. That is proof the anime onlies have a specific taste and needs on how they want the narrative to be paced.

With that being said, there have been changes, there have been losses, SOME development was loss as well, but if this arc was adapted faithfully it would be far more detrimental to the momentum and fan perception of this new season. We can make this assumption based off of the affirmentioned incidents where the fan perception has dropped.

From a business standpoint and from a pacing standpoint the decision to make such changes makes sense. The loss of a slap, a character who was great but inconsequential, and abs are minor casualties in the big picture of things and it is dissengenuine to create this narrative that these changes are some how baffling or weird considering why they chose to do it and the episode constraints they dealt with.

I say all of this even before mentioning the fact that people are basically critiquing something that isn't even finished yet. I hope I don't have to explain why that is a nonsensical thing to do. You don't critique a painting before its last paint brush stroke do you?

As manga readers we HAVE to remember and understand that our viewpoint is biased and cherry picked. We know what is going to happen, we know how things did happen. For those who don't watch the episodes for what they are and look at them through a meta lense and try to check off things you want to see you will never be able to gauge and enjoy the episodes at the same objective and unbiased perspective as someone coming in fresh. You are prejudging the show when you look at it from that lense. Prejudging leads to prejudice and I hope we all know the flaws of a prejudicial mindset.

Edited by Scyrous

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 11:26 AM, Scyrous said:

Found a great comment on Reddit that I'm gonna post here because I'm getting tired of people saying ''but the manga is different reeeeeeeeeee''.

Credit to /u/jblakk. Post contains minor references to the manga.

Reveal hidden contents

I ask you this. How does the "decision" for change seem weird or confuse you if the main objective was to fix the initial reaction of first time viewers? They made the pace faster and less stilted, that is neither better or worse objectively speaking. It is just different. A difference that is proven to create a better fan reception.

The anime onlies (which is the only unbiased interpretation of the anime arc) reaction is at the same consistent love and support of the series as the previous seasons. Compare that to the manga where this arc was polarizing to put it lightly. The perception was at about a 60/40 approval rating at estimate and is a far worse ratio in comparison to the other arcs.

Screw hindsight, screw reareads, and screw the monthly release excuse. The fact of the matter is when that arc was showcased initially, there was a huge separation of opinions of the arc as a whole. That was the initial reaction and that is all we can go off of on the school of thought on why the change happened.

People will use the monthly release of the manga as a reasoning for people not liking the arc, but even the Marley arc had a higher approval rating. In fact, in season 2 after the amazing first episode, the Sasha episode and episode 3 had a lower approval rating where a lot of people claimed that AoT lost it's spunk. It wasn't until the Ymir reveal and then the RB reveal happened where things started to pick up and AoTs momentum was back in good form like seaosn 1 was. That is proof the anime onlies have a specific taste and needs on how they want the narrative to be paced.

With that being said, there have been changes, there have been losses, SOME development was loss as well, but if this arc was adapted faithfully it would be far more detrimental to the momentum and fan perception of this new season. We can make this assumption based off of the affirmentioned incidents where the fan perception has dropped.

From a business standpoint and from a pacing standpoint the decision to make such changes makes sense. The loss of a slap, a character who was great but inconsequential, and abs are minor casualties in the big picture of things and it is dissengenuine to create this narrative that these changes are some how baffling or weird considering why they chose to do it and the episode constraints they dealt with.

I say all of this even before mentioning the fact that people are basically critiquing something that isn't even finished yet. I hope I don't have to explain why that is a nonsensical thing to do. You don't critique a painting before its last paint brush stroke do you?

As manga readers we HAVE to remember and understand that our viewpoint is biased and cherry picked. We know what is going to happen, we know how things did happen. For those who don't watch the episodes for what they are and look at them through a meta lense and try to check off things you want to see you will never be able to gauge and enjoy the episodes at the same objective and unbiased perspective as someone coming in fresh. You are prejudging the show when you look at it from that lense. Prejudging leads to prejudice and I hope we all know the flaws of a prejudicial mindset.

You can agree to a lot of what has been said there😉

When an anime changes things and those changes are actually plausible and preferably favorible as well, then it's okay I'd say.
This season so far condenses the plot for fast pacing and for whatever reason even puts filler into there as well.
I can't understand why people didn't like this particular arc in manga, but each to their own and of course the anime has to appeal to the mass which allegedly
is mostly an action-loving audience.

When the studio is being faithful to the source for adaption, the scenes turn out exceptionally well.

Spoiler

The scene when Rod and Historia touch Eren and Historia disobeying Rod, those gave me chills 😊

I really want a gif of Historia running up the stairs xD

Next episode we'll see if another core element got cut or not, but the preview kinda looks like it's gonne be in there.
Btw,

Spoiler

A few episodes back, the King's council was talking amongst themselves about not to worry about Historia as she has a false claim and will never become Queen.
But how is that possible?
Every single one of them is aware that Historia will become the next Progenitor Titan Shifter, therefore definitely becoming the Queen anyways so to say.
That scene made no sense.

Edited by cinnamox

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 12:18 AM, surdnas said:

been holding out on S3, should I wait and binge it or go WtW?

Depends how you feel about cliffhangers. I'm watching it week to week but only because I've read the manga and know roughly what to expect. I'd recommend watching it in batch so it's easier to keep track of everything, as it's a longer season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Koby changed the title to Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) (Wit Studio)