Kametsu High School Soccer Club [story]

RazorDan

Chapter 8: I'm Scared

As the bell rang to signal the end of the school day, Apollo took a deep breath. He was going to see Javier and find out who Kametsu High had been drawn against in the regional tournament.

'Hey Polo, were you off to?' called Lynn as she spotted Apollo walking down the corridor. Apollo turned and smiled at his classmate.

'Coach says he's getting the Regional Tournament draw today, off to see who we've got,' he answered.

'Where are we ranked this year?' asked Lynn. All 32 teams in the Kametsu region were ranked based on their results in the previous three years. Kametsu had always ranked in the mid 20s but their recent performances meant that they anticipated a higher ranking this time around as in the last three tournaments they had finished 19th, 6th and 4th

'8th, but Coach reckons we're comfortably better than anyone else outside the top 3,' replied Apollo. Lynn hesitated.

'Are Alexandria in the top 3? she asked, avoiding eye contact with her captain. Apollo nodded slowly in response.

'They're 2nd' he said quietly.

'Why are you guys scared of this Alexandria team?' asked IP, coming up from behind Lynn.

The second years looked at him, startled by his question. Realising the uncomfortable atmosphere he'd created, IP quickly tried to apologise.

'Sorry, um, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, it's just I don't understand why you guys seem so scared of this team,' he stammered.

Apollo sighed and glanced at Lynn. His classmate nodded. The soccer team captain took a deep breath.

'Well, guess you guys need to find out soon enough. Last year, our team, we were brilliant. We beat every team we faced, including the team that was ranked 3rd. We were too fast, too skillful and, to be honest, too good. We were confident of reaching the nationals and in the last 4 we faced Alexandria Academy. Although they were ranked 5th, we still thought we could win, I mean, they were just another team packed with muscle and power and with a lack of skill and grace. We were dreaming of the nationals. The seniors were close to touching a prize they'd thought was impossible to reach. But then, we got destroyed. They played dirty, extremely dirty. We had two players go off injured and our captain was sent off. They won 3-0, we were bullied, beaten and humiliated. Their goalkeeper didn't make a single save. It broke us. Some of the seniors were so cut up, they even failed to make into college. That's why we fear Alexandria Academy,'

IP was astonished. He didn't know what to say or where to look.

'IP, look, I'm sorry, it's just the emotions are still pretty strong. This team we have. It's a new team, and although it has more talent than last year, we've played one match together. If we faced Alexandria before the last 4, we'd be annihilated,' sighed Apollo.

'Luckily for us there are 30 other teams we could draw,' smiled Lynn brightly, trying to lighten the mood. ' Go see the Coach Apollo, I'll get the guys together in the clubroom and you can come break the news to us then. Forget Alexandria, there's no chance we've drawn them!' she said insistently.

'Yeah Captain, these guys sound scary but no way will we have them as our first match!' chimed in IP, relieved at Lynn's attempts to lighten the mood. Apollo smiled weakly in response.

'Yeah, you guys are right. I'll see you in a little while then,' he replied, turning away from his teammates. As he walked away, IP turned to Lynn.

'Lynn, why is Apollo so afraid of them? I mean, there's practically no chance we'll draw them and yet he's already given up,' he asked, a mixture of concern and confusion in his voice.

'Apollo was dominated throughout that match. He barely got a kick of the ball. At 1-0, we still had a slight chance and he made a big mistake, giving the ball straight to their striker who went and scored. To make matters worse, he was involved in the fight near the end that led to the Captain being sent off. Many of the seniors never forgave him after that. They were shocked and upset and they blamed Apollo. I don't think he's really recovered from that day.' explained Lynn, he words imbued with sadness.

She put a hand on IP's shoulder.

'Come on, let's go get the team together.'

____________________________________________________________

As Apollo entered Javier's office, he immediately sensed that something was wrong. The Coach was leaning back in his chair with his feet on the desk in front of him and his hands behind his head. His expression was decidedly tense and unhappy. Upon noticing Apollo, he made no effort to smile, instead giving him a brisk and glum nod.

'Coach, who have we got?' Apollo asked, uneasily.

'St Mathew's Catholic School, ranked 27th. Match is two weeks from today at our ground,' answered the Coach, swiftly. Apollo laughed with relief.

'That's great!' he said, beaming. Javier dropped his gaze and looked at the floor, clearly uncomfortable. Seeing his Coach's response, Apollo tensed.

'What is it?' he asked, urgently. Javier sighed.

'Well, as you know, there are 16 matches in this round. The winners of matches 1 and 2 play each other in the next round. The winners of matches 3 and 4 also play each other in the next stage and so on. We..' he hesitated.

'Coach, just spit it out,' implored Apollo.

'We're in match 7, meaning if we win, we play the winners of match 8 and well...' he took a deep breath. ' Match 8 is between 22nd ranked Kametsu Art School and Alexandria Academy.'

Apollo's eyes widened and he paled.

'Apollo, we can discuss other things tomorrow, go and tell the others.' stressed Javier. Apollo nodded absentmindedly.

'Apollo. Are you okay? asked the Coach, clearly concerned. His captain shook his head and said,

'I'm scared.'

Edited by RazorDan
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Bring back high school soccer club, this was one of the things I use to wait for weekly and something I really enjoyed reading even though I don't like reading. I think you should start writing some more chapters if you have time, or at least bring it to an end :)

• Like 1