Romance Anime's for a Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely Toradora. To this day, it's still the only romance anime that I can repeatedly rewatch and enjoy. And guess what? It has an actual ending. That's right, not a bullshit vague ending where the main character doesn't choose a girl. He actually does, and it is glorious.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, Clannad and Kanon are in my opinion the best of light romance designed to appeal to men if you haven't seen them. I personally don't think its as good but if you've seen those two and like them, try Air. Toradora is a good one, I usually avoid subtitles as much as possible as a matter of preference but it was good enough for me to put that aside.

If you don't mind venturing away from anime a bit, there is a korean drama called My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, it is not animated and it is korean instead of japanese, but I would highly recommend it as a romance that is designed to appeal to a guy with some light supernatural elements to it (gumiho means nine tailed fox).

Not to be critical, but among the suggestions were mentioned Ouran High School Host Club, Fruits Basket, Fushigi Yuggi and Vampire Knight, while these are great series and well worth watching, they were designed to appeal to a female audience. I wouldn't let that stop you from watching them, but they might not scratch your itch. And I wouldn't consider fruits basket romance, my second favorite anime but there's no actual romance that occurs, only faint suggestions vaguely in the direction of romance, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but might not be what your after.

If you don't mind nudity and sexual content, and pervy moments, a lot of ecchi anime might be a good thing to look into. People have already suggested Please Teacher and Please Twins (both good bat watch teacher first) along with chobits, all of which are ecchi but also have good love stories in them. To add suggestions along those lines:

Ecchi series with romance

Shuffle is a great series although it is light harem, unlike light harem the male protagonist actually chooses a girl and in the middle of all the ecchi is actualy quite a bit of drama and a decent love story.

Ai Yori Aoshi is also a harem anime, but like shuffle the main character chooses a girl, unlike shuffle he chooses in the very beginning, and in the middle of all the ecchi is a romeo and juliet like story (minus the suicide) of a young couple struggling against odds.

Rosario Vampire is also a bit harem, but it has a light romance story in it, though I would say the romance is not as well done as the comedy and ecchi elements. Not a great love story but it is in the vein of romance. Also, main character is a hapless idiot so it might not be what your looking for, but then so is the main charachter for please teacher.

Deers is decent as well, if you like chobits you will like this one.

Sekirei is an action/ecchi/harem with romance, like rosario vampire there is an obvious and consistent match for the protagonist.

B-Gata H Kei, this series is hilarious, although the protagonist is female it targets a male audience and has a quirky love story and you can't help but like the main character. Its about a girl who want to sleep with 100 guys but is to shy and nervous to take the first step. Its all about her trying to get laid with the poor sap she decided to lose her virginity to. The premise might not sound that great, but the implementation is excellent, and it is very much a dirty romance.

Action/romance:

Basilisk, very serious with a lot of action blood and gore, pretty heavy stuff and

it doesn't have a happy ending

, the romance takes a back seat to the action, but the action revolves around the love story.

Tenjou Tenge, the romance takes a back seat to the action but it has a love triangle going on. You will probably either love or hate it, but it got canceled after the first season and has no resolution so watch at your own risk.

And lastly, my favorite series,

School Rumble, its more about comedy and unrequited love in a high school setting and usually keeps things light. Its all about misunderstandings, mistakes, and confusion, but it is at all times a romantic comedy and deserves mention.

In truth, if what you are looking for is what I think you are looking for, the suggestions in the vein of kanon and clanad, I wouldn't mind seeing more along those lines myself. If thats the case, look up the korean drama I mentioned, if you have netflix you can find it there, and if you like that give boys over flowers a go (which is based on a manga of the same name and may have an anime that is sub only, but not sure about the anime part), although it is directed towards women like ouran and fruits basket.

Edited by Mordeth_Kai