Breathless

Soft Subs versus Hard Subs

Soft Subs vs Hard Subs!  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your anime in Soft Subs or Hard Subs?

• Soft Subs!
    • Hard Subs!
    • I don't care!

Soft Subs because you can always burn them into hard subs if needed for any specific reason (streaming to a console etc) where once they are burned you can never get rid of them.

I prefer hardsubs because I tend to watch things from my TV/Bluray player and they can't replicate the pretty typesetting.

• Like 1

As an avid graphic designer and someone who gifs a lot of media, hard subs are incredibly problematic when it comes to that

I much prefer soft subs so I can have the choice to gif something and then can just lay over my own subs if I want, editing the translation if necessary

I prefer to have softsubs.  If I want to take a screenshot of the moment to use for a background, the option of having no subtitles in the screenshot is best.

When it comes to subtitled only anime I prefer hard subbed. Mostly because I load up a flash drive or burn a dvd and watch anime on my tv.  I tried watching soft subs on my bluray player or on my tv's flash drive port. Some times the subs don't work, shows up too small or the sub styling,signs and what not show up as gibberish. So I try to download the subbed anime hard subbed or I use handbrake to hard sub them.

Hardsubs is outdated technology, and without the option to turn them off, they're just going to get in the way when they're permanently plastered at the bottom of your screen. Softsubs can be turned off, so it is especially useful for viewers that are wanting to switch audio tracks at anytime. As I am an avid screencapper, I cannot ever condone hardsubs. Ever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ElementalCards said:

Neither watermarks.

A small one that hardly obstructs the screen hardly bothers me. You know, like the TV Tokyo watermark? That's fine by me.

1 hour ago, Inverti said:

A small one that hardly obstructs the screen hardly bothers me. You know, like the TV Tokyo watermark? That's fine by me.

I hate watermarks. I can't stand TV rips because of this and am constantly looking to replace them with DVD, Web, or BluRay versions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ElementalCards said:

A transparent one is never an issue for me, especially whenever I taped movies back in the day on Encore. This for example:

timelinesbefore.jpg

That's not too bad but my OCD would have me staring at that corner a good deal of the time.

On 2/10/2013 at 10:20 PM, Breathless said:

Aaaah. My google abilities have failed me! In which case, Why would anyone use Hardsubs then? I mean, I guess it stops other people from ripping your subs, but does anyone even do that? 

yes there are many such who rips someone subs!

I prefer softsub so I can upgrade the quality easier. But when you watch the animes oin a very slow pc or on a device with no softsub support you can make your own hardsub(for example handbrake...)

Hard subs for foreign language material. Programs like to fuck with soft subs too often, the settings are unreliable. Right now Kodi won't play them automatically unless they're marked as both Default and Forced, which defeats the purpose of having two fields...

As far as watermarking: I hate it... but I love it. Erm, what I mean to say is that I use PseudoTV for most of my watching, which has its own watermarks you can customize per channel configuration, so a video with watermarks included looks pretty disgusting.