Soft Subs versus Hard Subs

Breathless

Soft Subs vs Hard Subs!  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your anime in Soft Subs or Hard Subs?

• Soft Subs!
    • Hard Subs!
    • I don't care!

• 2 weeks later...

For me it depends upon the encodeing.  Sense its subbed and I don't speak Japanese I'm not going to want to turn off the subs any way.  How ever I have run into issues were soft subs were placed over hardsubs and that is vary annoying.  How ever something I noticed about soft is that if the encoder knows what there doing they can encode several layers beyond the defalt allowing you to atler or change the sub style to better suite your needs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hard-subbed. I can plug my hard drive into my tv, and it doesn't support soft-subbed, which is mostly what I have. It's annoying to have to bring up a laptop, connect it to the tv and set it up. Also, If I want to edit something with anime, I have to convert it to hardsub. But, if my tv and video editors worked with soft-subbed, then I would love it. 

I prefer dual audio over dubbed/subbed since you get the best of both worlds... so I'm gonna go with soft-subbed, but when watching something that is subbed only, I can accept hard-subbed also

Then again like others have stated, with soft-subbed, you can can turn them off or on and add in other subs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I like softsubs for two reasons. One is the same reason others have mentioned being that I like having the ability to change the subtitles if the ones that were embedded I don't like. I live in the U.S. and like the subs to be as accurate as possible. One example would be if a character referred to another character as their name with -chan on the end and the subs didn't reflect that it would make me question the accuracy of the rest of the subs so I would download another set of subs. If the anime has hardsubs I'm screwed. The other reason is that I like to take screen captures of characters or scenes that I like and I want to be able to turn off the subs when I do that because obviously the subs would be in the way of a good screenshot.

Plus, you always have the option of taking softsubs and making them hardsubs if you want them. You can't go the other way, though.

Edited by Redphin

• 2 weeks later...