Preparing for Storm

Neolux

Nothing real special. We have some food that we'll probably run out of if this lasts more than two days AND the power goes out. We have some flashlights--still have the non-battery one from last year that you charge with a crank--and candles. We have like six gallons of water on standby.

And I have my stuff charging--Kindle, DS, my laptop. I'm hoping the power doesn't go out, but even if it does and it gets real cold, we have infinity blankets and comforters.

Where you at? I'm in Maryland.

Nothing real special. We have some food that we'll probably run out of if this lasts more than two days AND the power goes out. We have some flashlights--still have the non-battery one from last year that you charge with a crank--and candles. We have like six gallons of water on standby.

And I have my stuff charging--Kindle, DS, my laptop. I'm hoping the power doesn't go out, but even if it does and it gets real cold, we have infinity blankets and comforters.

Where you at? I'm in Maryland.

Southeastern PA, maybe an hour away from Philly.

It's not looking too bad yet, but it's supposed to really kick up at 8 PM into tomorrow morning... I hope there's no school. xD

My favourite while I was in the military was that regardless of how much the world is ending, they would still expect us to show up to work. I remember once I got stuck doing door guard (basically watching the door because if I didn't, no one would be able to get into the building--I did a lot of those shifts) and the weather was a little horrible. The power in the building proceeded to go out and I sat in the dark for a bit before the shop in the same building let me hang out in their generator-powered room (I think I thumbed through a Pashto dictionary to entertain myself) until my replacement showed up.

Who was late because, surprise, his car was buried in snow and he shockingly did not bother to assess the situation earlier than ten minutes before he had to leave for work.

Edited by Emotional Outlet

THE COMBINATION OF SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE TO OUR NORTH AND HURRICANE SANDY OFF THE CAROLINA COAST WILL KEEP NORTH WINDS AND COLDER AIR SURGING SOUTH INTO THE REGION TONIGHT

I'm preparing by bringing out all of my hoodies and warm clothes.

Like seriously it was like 80°F one day, then it dropped to 50°F the next. Getting into the 30's at night. It's finally Fall.

I ship lolrawr with weather report writers. OTP

The military was okay. Weather-wise, it's made me more willing to go tromping through horrible environments. We had a particularly rainy period while I was in Monterey and despite the base being located atop a large hill, the torrential rain ensured you would always be walking through at least two inches of water. I had the wimpy, but decidedly lighter boots (these guys), that were not waterproof in any way, so I had soggy socks forever. I was also tasked, after graduating, with delivering the action notice (basically the base newspaper) for half the base, so I got walk to up and down lots of hills while it was raining buckets. On the upside, I did not have to deal with the harpies who were in charge of casuals.

Another year I was on leave and home for the holidays--I had a craving for some chips, so I walked about four miles (two each way), to the nearest gas station for some snackage. As long as a location is within two miles of my front door, I don't mind hoofing it over there.

I would have liked it more if I got to be an Arabic linguist like I was trained to be and not just a button presser, but them's the breaks. The squadron I got stuck with wasn't exactly in any real dire need of Arabs, and they tried their very hardest to crush my soul into an unrecognisable pulp. It didn't turn me into an incurable alcoholic like others and I met some great people, so it wasn't the worst thing ever. It just wasn't for me and I hate being one of those people who just try to work the system.

But yeah, I talk a lot of shit about the military, but I enjoyed it. I've been a part of it one way or another--the first time I went to a school that wasn't on or near a military base, I found I didn't enjoy the environment as much.

• Like 1