Have you stolen something before?

shyguysteve

My dad told me about myself as a young boy when we went to a Rainbow. He told me as we were walking out I lifted my shirt and said "look dad I pay for it here" I was holding a coloring book under my shirt.

I'm not a fan of petty theft since an old school mate of mine does it just because he knows he wont get caught stealing stuff like candy or cards. It freaks me out, I'm one of those super self-concious people who think everyone can see what i'm up to already so i don't even try.

So does anyone else have any stories to share or a remark for petty theft?

Well funny you should mention that (glances over at downloaded anime collection). Lol jk.

Um. Well I've never done any shoplifting or anything serious like that so no real petty theft like that I can think of. I try to be a good citizen lol.

Now there was a time when I was a freshman in high school. I walked into Geometry class and saw a 1GB SD card on the ground under my desk (1GB was big back in the day alright). I was like scoooore. Well a few minutes later the guy in front of me was like oh snap I think I just dropped my SD card. He was like looking around and asking if anyone had it. I didn't know him so I was like oh man what will he think if he sees me just pulling it out of my backpack, he's going to kill me! So I just sat there. Poker face and all.

Edited by lolrawr
  • Like 3

Mine's similar to Lolrawr's. Found a fair few things and then just acted like I had no fucking clue who they belonged to until they asked me if I'd seen them. Found a usb once and took it. I also was going through some draws once at a mates on an old desk they never used, found some random cds I took. I'd say my theft limit is shit I know no one wants lol but me haha

...he knows he wont get caught stealing stuff like candy or cards...

Oh if he lived in Australia and was black he would have gone to jail for stealing a 50 cent candy bar... LOL (no racism intended) It was all over the news like two years ago about a little aboriginal kid stealing a mars bar and the charges they layed on him were nuts (for a kid that is). Kinda crazy about the aboriginal people getting it worse than whites... Racism, you think it's gone these days but it's still around which makes me pissed off. Sounds like I went off topic there... Anyways, apart from pirating animes and some software/games, I don't think I ever stole anything worth mentioning (a BMW car for example, that's nothing right? xD). Well when I was kid I used to eat candy from a supermarket without paying for it, my parents went shopping and I just ate candy, I was only 3-4 or something didn't know much about life so I thought it was normal, since I saw some people eating fruits instore one time hahaha.

When I was in my early teens I stole everything. Magazines, stationary, whole lego sets, sweets, massive chocolate bars etc. I think I was just plain greedy. I thought these super stores won't even notice it's missing, and they rip us off every day. Rationalising theft, ha! Thank God I grew out of that phase after a couple of months before I got into trouble!

• Like 2

When I was a wee child, I once stole candy from a little candy store. I tucked it into my shirt and walked right out. My mother whapped me on the butt with her purse after we left, so when we went to the supermarket afterwards, I dumped out the candy into the candy bin. I'd take quarters and stuff out of my mother's purse to buy food at school--they'd have these sales where they'd sell candies and chips and all that, and I'd always want something, so I'd sneak into her room while she was sleeping and take the coins.

tumblr_m9ral4g0T41qdlkyg.gif

Other than that, I don't think I've really ever stolen anything (that wasn't digital). As a teenager I was witness to a couple of thefts committed by some friends, but I never said anything because that was a pretty nebulous age regardless, haha.

• Like 1

I used to shoplift as a kid. There was a local computer games store (this was in the day before Gamestop took over the world) and what I did, about five or six times, was take a £10 sticker from a cheap game and sneakily put it on a more expensive game. I remember I got Baldur's Gate 1 (5 CD version) that way. I was eventually caught and barred from the store.

I also used to shoplift books. My method was to have a plastic bag already full of books and just slip the new ones in there. I remember one time a guy from the shop caught on and followed me out the store. I made it look like I didn't know he was following me, so I pretended to cross the road to get the bus, but then didn't. I then ducked down a side path before he realised I was nowhere in sight. After that, I decided it was too risky and stopped shoplifting completely.

In my defense, I came from an extremely poor family.

Only time I've ever intentionally stole something, was when I'd be at the shop buying some Pick 'n Mix sweets. I'd usually eat a couple of them and only buy what I put in the bag. Nothing big.

One thing I have a really bad habbit of doing, though, is forgetting to return books to the library. If it's been more than a month late, I always feel too ashame to show my face there again, which is kinda bad. I really dislike stealing. It's the sort of thing that ruins businesses and lives.

When I was a little boy my mom use to take me to the mall I was in a buggy back then we use to browse through the mall and at the end when we left she looked at me and I had a shoe on my lap and other stuff like toys I cant remember what the other stuff were but I remember the shoe.

Also last year when I use to work in a supermarket I was at the till I use to take money from the till they didn't catch on but everyone that worked on the till got in trouble but no one lost there job thank god. And one day a woman must have forgot her Iphone 4 in a basket im ashamed to say I swiped it, dont judge me lifes a bitch.

• Like 1

You people are too cruel! hahaha jokes, but seriously if you do find a smartphone these days I suggest you return it ASAP! Or even a USB drive or some storage medium such as HDD. It's very cruel to keep a hold of them, I personally make a lot of backup of my work, but some of my friends lost them all due to someone taking their USB drive.

A smartphone usually has all the important stuff on it, I personally return all the stuff I find, shame I don't get it back when I lose my things =(

Well if someone steals/finds my phone or tablet I can easily track them even if they change SIM cards, I personally integrated a tracking app into the OS so even factory resetting it won't do a thing. (Unless that lucky bastard knows how to flash new ROMs).

Edited by Ang3lofDarkness

Only time I've ever intentionally stole something, was when I'd be at the shop buying some Pick 'n Mix sweets. I'd usually eat a couple of them and only buy what I put in the bag. Nothing big.

One thing I have a really bad habbit of doing, though, is forgetting to return books to the library. If it's been more than a month late, I always feel too ashame to show my face there again, which is kinda bad. I really dislike stealing. It's the sort of thing that ruins businesses and lives.

The first part reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons when Lisa started getting real conscious of theft and nagged Marge to admit to the cashier she ate three grapes, haha.

And do your libraries have drop off bins in the front or anything? You'll still owe a fine for it, but at least the book is returned.

But yeah, nowadays I don't have much reason to steal, especially physical items. After watching some movie at a theatre, I found a set of keys on the ground in the parking lot and got really anxious about it until the person I was with took the keys to one of the businesses nearby to put into lost and found. It's kind of embedded into my mind that integrity comes first, especially when you think no one is looking.

I've...had quite sticky fingers in the past. Whn I was a kid, I shoplifted a lot of candy from a candy store in the mall when the oldest son of the person babysitting me took me and his sister to the nearby mall and wow my dad was /furious/ The only reason I got caught was because some fell out of my pockets right when I was leaving. I got too greedy u wu

I also used to steal from the local supermart. Mostly colored pencils and bags of candy. I'd stash it in my school bag after opening it up so the barcode censor was useless. I've also stolen nail polish from drugstores and pirated enough music to make a DMCA rep have a heart attack.

And even now I still swipe little things like pens, but I don't shoplift anymore. I've also taken the odd bill out of my dad's wallet a few times. Although it's just too easy when he forgets his change in the receipt for whatever he bought and it's buried under papers u wu

If I found something important though, like a smartphone or a tablet, I wouldn't keep it at all because I've lost my iPod before and someone returned it to me so I always try to do that for others. Although that didn't stop me from taking an abandoned 4gig USB drive I found in the hallway at school once.

• Like 1

Anyways, the I used to steal in the past. One of them as when I used to work for this grocery story, the best job I ever had and hate myself for losing it because of it, I used to take an 88 cent pizza and drink for lunch and not pay for it. I transferred to another store and I got caught there, but wasn't charged. All I had to do was pay them back. The last time I stole was from a electronic store...I took the anime complete of Samurai X. I beeped on the way out but they didn't check me because I had bought a dvd too and they were used to the thing beeping even when people came in. I was so freaked out that I would get caught thou from it that I've never stolen from a store since. (looks in my external)

• 4 weeks later...

Well i did the candy thing when i was little too, but in my freshmen year of highschool me and one of my former best friends committed grand-theft larceny at walmart and stole quite a few 8gb flash drives, we had completly taken the flash drives all the way out the packaging and what i did was put them in the ankle part of my socks. The guy that came in to bust us coudlnt even find the scissors in the bag, I think i hid some flash drives in my back brace too, anyway the dude said that the cops where on the way but in the end we just walked out of the bathroom, i think part of it was we came out of the stall and me in backbrace plus good lying skills, I kind of believe he thought we were gay, although my friend was indeed was bi. there were no cops that day and as soon as i left the store i ran my ass all the way to school and never stole again because almost exploded out of my chest.