Thoughts on adults dressing up, and/or celebrating Halloween.

Minkseru

Ok first off this is not whether or not adults should run around in those half pieces of clothing walmart and costume stores call costume, personally most of those3 belong in a strip club, not in everday settings, but rather your thoughts on adults getting into halloween, and dressing up to celebrate the americanised holiday of hallow's eve.

Personally me and the wife are one of the few on the entire block in our neighborhood who have the lights on for trick or treaters. Our neighbors are not big fans I guess of it. Last year was kind of mellow this year we have the expense to celebrate, and next year we are growing black pumpkins. We celebrate it as one of the few holidays we care about because it is one of the few times your house, and attire can be creepy, or cheerful, and no one thinks twice about it.

• Like 1

Over here we aren't really big on celebrating it, i think we do a sort of parade thing in the heart of the city and that's pretty much it. Ocassionally you see kids around trying to get free junkfood but they sometimes arent even in costumes. So I guess I'd have to say it's a little silly to me for adults to get into it, I mean sure I'd probably do it if it was bigger over here and I know we sometimes do this zombie night thing, got nothing to do with halloween but still cool.

I guess since I wasnt never brought up with it it seems foolish to me for adults to dress up and stuff, I can see wanting to do it for the kids but them enjoying it just as much...seems silly to me

My whole family has always been into Halloween. When my brother and I were little, my mom would take us trick-or-treating. Then when we were older, we'd take our little cousin trick-or-treating. I've never not dressed up for Halloween. My family, mom and dad included, all love the scary movies, haunted houses, costumes, handing out candy, decorations, pumpkin carving, etc.

Older teens and adults out looking for candy is kind of silly, but I think they can still be interested in the other aspects of Halloween; I'm of the mindset that Halloween is fun for all ages, not just children.

• Like 1

I agree that teens and older out scouting for free candy, especially without even a costume, is silly--all the times I've been trick-or-treating as a kid, people would give one or two pieces of candy. Hardly worth it for someone who can just go to the store and buy a bag or two of candy. Not to mention how it all goes on sale after the holiday is over.

But getting into the spirit of things is okay--haunted houses, haunted corn mazes, decorating pumpkins and baked goods, making and wearing costumes. There's no reason people can't have costume parties regardless of their age. It's like a masquerade but with more people dressed up as sexy body bags. Some people like to be scared, like to watch horror movies and do stuff like go out looking for ghosts and pranking each other. I don't really see why they shouldn't. Considering it's largely a commercial holiday for the average person anyway, why not have fun the way you want to have fun?

Pranks can be controversial, religious qualms start cropping up in the news (Christian, Wiccan, you name it), and people seem to be more scared of gang activity during Halloween than any other night, and I can understand their concerns, but in general, I don't see the harm in people celebrating it and dressing up. People will have bad intentions and carry out those intentions regardless of the date on the calendar.

• Like 1

I may not go trick-or-treating anymore, but I always go into costume-mode and I hand out candy to the kids. We may not get many but I will continue to do so til our little one is old enough to go trick-or-treating. I will always be extremely into Halloween and it will always be one of the most celebrated holidays in my house besides Christmas.

I don't mind if adults get into Halloween. I see parents taking their kids trick-or-treating all the time and they tend to dress up to go with the kids too. I also have a lot of friends who have parties and such where they dress up and do pumpkin carving and stuff like that. I don't dress up lol, but I'll wear orange or something that day. :P

It's up to you if you really want to get in a costume for holloween. I mean it doesn't really matter weather you do or not, it's just a matter of weather you want to or not. If you want to then do it, no one in the world can stop you. If you don't, then don't, no one in the world can force you. Personally I would if I had the money for a Storm Trooper or Chubaka costume, but otherwise I'm dead outta luck. x ]

There is a company that specalises in Mandalorian bounty hunter outfits, for moderately good prices, and yes we have a zombie walk out here every now and again, either way no I would find it silly for adults to trick or treat by themself, but I expect me and the wife will probably dress up when we take our little girl when she gets old enough...

Life is too short to not take advantage of those times where you can just have fun and play around without feeling like you stand out from the norm, and that is a major part of what Halloween offers (at least in the NA culture). If you are comfortable doing these things on Halloween, go for it! It really is that simple for me. (yes I know, a short answer from me, wonders of wonders LOL)

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Since its close to haloween time and all...

I don't see the problem, if they enjoy doing this, why not, its not hurting anyone.

Plus for some people, like holidays like christmas, people have traditions they do every year since they were little, for some people trick or treating is a tradition much like decorating a christmas tree at christmas time!

Thoughts on adults dressing up for halloween  -  Grow Up

Thoughts on Adults celebrating it  -  It's no different than christmas. Decorating.......... maybe other things

Overall, we don't do Halloween in our country. But that doesn't stop certain idiots dressing up like The Joker holding a knife in their hand

Thoughts on Adults celebrating it  -  It's no different than christmas. Decorating.......... maybe other things

Overall, we don't do Halloween in our country. But that doesn't stop certain idiots dressing up like The Joker holding a knife in their hand

They don't have weapon laws against carrying a weapon in the open, and if they don't celebrate halloween there, why were they dressing up, convention, or just for fun?

Just wondering?

A lot of people celebrate Halloween here, they even have parties like they do christmas parties, and christmas fairs were people compete for best costume, and have divisions for kids, teens, and adults. I think it's kind of nice to see adults dress up, it shows there playful side, but there were cities I went to were no adult were derssed up except one and barely any kids or teens dressed up ether, it was kind of odd since it was halloween.

I even convince my mom to dress up for halloween.

Halloween, one of those european holidays that made there way to america, though the decoration the house, and haunted house atractions set up in towns, were not originaly part of halloween. It was originaly a day were people in mask literaly thretened people to give them candy, or else they would pull a trick on them, which was bassicly destroy there personal property.

Some people here still do it the original way.

The costumes and Mask were a desguise, so no one would know who it was threatining them.

The only thing I mind when grown ups go trick or treating, is that there are some people in my town, that change there costume behined a bush, and go to the same house again to get more candy, don't hog the candy, just take it once.

But anyways, like Bluenoser said, take advantage of those times when you can play around and have fun while you still can!

Edited by Tsukumo Yuma

They don't have weapon laws against carrying a weapon in the open, and if they don't celebrate halloween there, why were they dressing up, convention, or just for fun?

Just wondering?

Because there are people that like the idea of celebrating halloween, at least, they're trying to bring it to SA.

And I meant he looked like an idiot dressed up as the Joker holding a (butter) knife XD, while I was doing my shopping.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...