Is it ok to teach kids to fight?

Minkseru

Ok curious on people's various takes on this.

First let us explain what we mean behind this.

Is it ok for parents to encourage the learning of things like kendo, fencing, archery, martial arts forms, or other hand to hand or weapon related skills?

On the one side you have a lot of people worry about their kids being bullied, little boys not able to stand up for themself, girls getting picked on because they are too athletic, and some parents are concerned teaching a kid how to fight will just make them a bully.

On the other hand you have people who are afraid their kids will just get beat up if not taught how to fight.

Those aside now...

I personally think that things like martial arts when taught from an early age, helps strengthen the body, teaches them dedication, and gives them the confidence to know if they are not able to just "walk away" they don't have to wimper out of the scene.

Then again I also believe that schools punish too quickly for fights breaking out, and often punish the kid who was standing up for somebody else.

Now this does mean I support random violence, but I do believe martial studies teaches a kid to be controlled to an extent.

All ears.

• Like 1

Hmm interesting, I believe it depends on the kid being taught this, as you can usually tell how they'll use it once you know them. For the most part I think it's good and I agree with you on what it teaches a child and I'll add that it can also make a kid/teen feel more comfortable around people and not feel so anxious. This is great for shy people or people who get very anxious to get away from people like myself, I also have a bad habit of always thinking negatively so for me it helped me past some of that and let me relax because I knew how to defend myself and get out of a fight then or how to win if need be.

Although I'll admit since I stopped doing it I havent been so great around people...I think I may start going again and hope for the best

I do agree with you, honey. I think it teaches a child concentration, restraint, dedication, and the ability to defend ones self. I think it should be taught early and the child should be taught that it should not be used as a random act of violence, but to protect self or someone in danger. That what they learn isn't a means to bully others. Good values must be taught along with the ability to fight. I do not however...think a young child should be taught how to use a weapon until they are of a certain age. Taking classes for martial arts is also a good way to let off steam without using anger or violence against anyone.

• Like 1

I do agree with you, honey. I think it teaches a child concentration, restraint, dedication, and the ability to defend ones self. I think it should be taught early and the child should be taught that it should not be used as a random act of violence, but to protect self or someone in danger. That what they learn isn't a means to bully others. Good values must be taught along with the ability to fight. I do not however...think a young child should be taught how to use a weapon until they are of a certain age. Taking classes for martial arts is also a good way to let off steam without using anger or violence against anyone.

Have to agree that for a young teen it is a great way to let of steam and anger, also helps with sexual frustration at that age lol!

• Like 1

Honestly by middle school I would say. Well it is a surprise to see the topic have life yah! Sometimes I think kids get bullied as the wife said because they look like an easy target. Bullies, and people trying to take aqdvantage of you are often cowards using their size, or brawn to intimdate the prey when they realise the prey has teeth and can fight back most of the time they run off.

• Like 2

Our school system is simple but our politicians still manage to fuck it up epically, they're lucky no one here really cares about politics. Also I meant to mention this earlier but forgot in my first post. School systems are quite flawed when it comes to dealing with fights, they tend to just suspend whoever's involved or over here it's often just the person who stood up for themselves because they're the kid that no one cares about, not even the teachers, while the jock, bully guy the teachers love for some messed up reason...

• Like 1