Sword Art Online (whole franchise)

ShadowWolf

The manga is probably the worst done out of the three (anime, manga, light novel). I recommend you go read the the light novels on baka-tsuki: http://www.baka-tsuk...word_Art_Online

Considering that when the anime finishes, it will have only adapted the first 4 novels. There are 10 novels right now and the 11th is coming out in december :D

Edited by Hawkester

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished the first volume of the light novels. Working on the second volume now. I was rather disappointed with the LN though especially since I came into it right after reading Baccano (I actually dropped Baccano part of the way through b/c the story was beginning to be a little too repetitive -_-). Thing is, while Baccano was no masterpiece of literature, it did have a very strong story with good pacing and a set of characters who really got to grow on me after a while. The beauty was there, but it got repeated to death which is why I dropped reading the series -_-. I didn't get the same thing from reading SAO.

Perhaps it was the translation or something else, but it felt like the SAO LN had really bad story pacing. There was no time to really get to know the characters (except the main), and even then I didn't feel like the author did as good a job as he/she could've done with that character's growth. Everything just flowed too quickly, from action sequence to cra*** love sequence to... and consequently lots of character development got lost. The story wasn't ultra strong, but I don't think it really needs to be. If the author would've just spent more time giving his/her characters... well character, the first volume of the LN would've been amazing. I just hope the anime manages to do that. I haven't even finished 1 chapter of the side stories from the second volume, but having read some of the earlier posts in this thread regarding the filler at the beginning, I feel like I still have some hope of character development during that filler period.

I'm really excited to eventually view the anime for this, and I hope it manages to draw out the potential that I see left unattained in the LN.

Edited by Dae314

i really like this ANIME (don't care about the mangas, novels and the etc that don't matter) from the very first episode. really like the concept of it (especially death) and the story line is quite original and fresh, i like that. I would not enjoy watching the characters go through every single stage (as this could make the anime repetitive and thus boring) to reach the final boss and their skipping around/side stories,as Koby called it, around didn't bother me at all.

Edited by Kyle_Dimetri_09