Sword Art Online (whole franchise)

ShadowWolf

58wV3G5.jpg
MAL: SAO, SAO2, Movie

Synopsis: In the year 2022, virtual reality has progressed by leaps and bounds, and a massive online role-playing game called Sword Art Online (SAO) is launched. With the aid of "NerveGear" technology, players can control their avatars within the game using nothing but their own thoughts.

Kazuto Kirigaya, nicknamed "Kirito," is among the lucky few enthusiasts who get their hands on the first shipment of the game. He logs in to find himself, with ten-thousand others, in the scenic and elaborate world of Aincrad, one full of fantastic medieval weapons and gruesome monsters. However, in a cruel turn of events, the players soon realize they cannot log out; the game’s creator has trapped them in his new world until they complete all one hundred levels of the game.

In order to escape Aincrad, Kirito will now have to interact and cooperate with his fellow players. Some are allies, while others are foes, like Asuna Yuuki, who commands the leading group attempting to escape from the ruthless game. To make matters worse, Sword Art Online is not all fun and games: if they die in Aincrad, they die in real life. Kirito must adapt to his new reality, fight for his survival, and hopefully break free from his virtual hell.

it is one of the best anime's iv'e seen and iv'e seen alot like almost a 1000.

i have only watched the 1st episode and it's amazing!!
i hope it stays awsome.

i'd say anyone who liked .hack would like this even more.

has anyone watched it?
  • Like 2

I've watched the first two episodes now and I agree with you. So far, this is a great anime and I'm hooked. As long as it keeps going the way it has through the first two episodes its bound to be a good one.

Edited by Asce

First few episodes have been amazing... apparently episode 3 was actually a side story in the Novels, but it seemed to flow well from the first two episodes so I'm quite happy they added it in there. If it keeps going like this I'll have to go read the books :)

There's books?! I'm undecided whether I should pick this up since I dislike watching weekly stuff. is it that good?

I'd say read the description from MAL or wherever and if it sounds at all interesting for sure pick this up. And yeah... from what I know theirs a hug following for the Light Novel series... 9 of the 10 books out so far (it's still ongoing) are translated to English already @ http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Sword_Art_Online

Seems like another side story... really it would tick me off that their doing a bunch of side stories from the light novels if they actually weren't so good. Enjoyed episode 4 quite a bit, but really looking forward to getting back to the main storyline soon.

I definitely like the anime so far, but I wish it followed along with the novels a bit more. Out of the first 4 episodes it's mostly been what you would consider filler, with little overall plot development following the first episode. Other than though it's pretty good. And I agree that people who enjoyed .hack would probably enjoy this more.

i've been waiting for this anime for ages. When I first read about it, it sounded awesome. and I must say, the first episode didn't disappoint. Just going to wait for the season to finish then dl them in bulk and watch them in bulk...lmao

PS. The books/vn/ln whatever they are, are awesome too, very interesting storyline indeed!

it is one of the best anime's iv'e seen and iv'e seen alot like almost a 1000.

here is the Description:

The only way to escape is to 'clear' the game. Death in game means actual 'death' ---- The ten thousand who have logged onto the as of yet mysterious game 'Sword Art Online' using their Nerve Gear have been forced into this perilous death game and are trapped inside. Protagonist Kirito, one of the many gamers, has greeted this 'truth'. He plays as a solo player in the giant castle that is the stage for this game ---- 'Aincrad'. To meet the conditions of clearing the game and leaving this twisted virtual world, he must get through all 100 floors. Will Kirito have what it takes to clear the game, or will he die trying?

i have only watched the 1st episode and it's amazing!!

i hope it stays awsome.

i'd say anyone who liked .hack would like this even more.

has anyone watched it?

I haven't seen it yet but I would like too :D sounds great~

• 3 weeks later...

Sword Art Online seems like it could be good, if only they'd get to the heart of the story and quit jumping around. The premise is, they join a virtual reality MMORPG on launch day, but it's a trap. They're stuck in the world and can't get out till they beat the game. If they die in this world or someone tampers with the neurolinker in the real world, they die for real. To beat the game you have to go through 100 floors and beat the boss on each level.

Problem with this is, episodes 2-7 are just fluff. They're extras from the light novels that have been thrown into consequential order for the anime. However they're not back to back, and the actual manga seems to have skipped over two years. So, episodes 2-7 are simply side-stories with almost nothing that'll affect the story. To make matters worse, they've already skipped over 2 years of story and are already around floor 70. I hadn't read the manga, but I'd have hoped they would have fleshed it out better and not skipped so much.

Now, with episode 8 we're finally getting back on track. However more than half of the floors have already been beat. So we'll see how it goes from here. Hope we at least get flashbacks of stuff that was skipped.

Sword Art Online seems like it could be good, if only they'd get to the heart of the story and quit jumping around. The premise is, they join a virtual reality MMORPG on launch day, but it's a trap. They're stuck in the world and can't get out till they beat the game. If they die in this world or someone tampers with the neurolinker in the real world, they die for real. To beat the game you have to go through 100 floors and beat the boss on each level.

Problem with this is, episodes 2-7 are just fluff. They're extras from the light novels that have been thrown into consequential order for the anime. However they're not back to back, and the actual manga seems to have skipped over two years. So, episodes 2-7 are simply side-stories with almost nothing that'll affect the story. To make matters worse, they've already skipped over 2 years of story and are already around floor 70. I hadn't read the manga, but I'd have hoped they would have fleshed it out better and not skipped so much.

Now, with episode 8 we're finally getting back on track. However more than half of the floors have already been beat. So we'll see how it goes from here. Hope we at least get flashbacks of stuff that was skipped.

Wait what? That would be the equivalent of Lord of the Rings jumping straight from the Council of Elrond to the Siege of Minas Tirith. Not sure if I'd want to watch a series that skipped that much.