Voice your thoughts on what features you'd like to see.

Koby

Anras, Mute, and poe are on IRC a lot. Ren gets on sometimes, Dan is never around even the forum, and I dunno what happened to idl.

I am around........sometimes. I tend to get on a lot for a couple of days, then not get on at all for like a week.Though I haven't visited the IRC in like forever.

why is there a limit on the amount of emoticon used, could this be removed.

You really shouldn't have a need to use ten emoticons at a time. Overuse of smilies is annoying and generally considered poor netiquette.

FREE DOOUGHNUTS FREE DOUGHNUTS!! Damn. Last time I went to the doughnut shop it was nearly 8 bucks for a dozen. -_-

Expensive doughnuts!

I don't use the IRC for sundry reasons and don't particularly mourn the loss of the chatbox. We never had one before and the community thrived without it--many fora forego the use of a chatbox not only for security reasons but for the resource overload as mentioned and the way it kills activity on the forum. It's not an issue unique to Kametsu. Communities that both have a thriving forum and chatbox seem to be in the minority.

Now this comes from a large forum with over 1 million posts and 20,000 members, but it kills activity.

I'm generally lenient on people being off-topic as long as they return to the topic at some point or the off-topic discussion had stemmed from the original topic and isn't detrimental to the conversation (for example, going off-topic to rake someone over the coals for a mistake is both off-topic and not allowed). The forum doesn't have to be serious business 100% of the time and it can move as quickly as the chatbox. With the notifications you receive that someone has posted in the thread while you were drafting your post, you can stay on top of conversations and not necessarily have to worry about being ninja'd.

As a slight aside, pardon my recent absence. I'm currently tethering off my phone, so it's a wee slow and glitchy at times. The guy came by on Sunday and said there was some problem with the wiring (I don't know exactly what), but that they would contact Java about it later. And then our roommate had guests over the past few days, so we were running around a lot and generally keeping them fed.

While I don't mind the absence of a chatbox, I'm curious if activity has actually increased, maybe I just don't get on enough but it seems to me like topics don't move as fast as they used to.

After initially removing the Chatbox, activity on the forum more than doubled.

Then we had the file host fiasco in January, where our entire download section pretty much was dead, which resulted in a lot of people leaving, or even perhaps giving up on downloading, then we've had like 3 crashes this year, each resulting in at least a couple days to a couple weeks of downtime... two of which resulted in restoring with an old back up (the first time was only a week lost, this time it was May 15th-July 4th lost)... so all that together has really taken a toll on the community activity this year. We've went from nearly 700 people logging in each day to a little under 300 (was around 500 before the last crash we had). During the last crash we lost nearly 2000 member accounts and like 23,000 posts or so...

Stuff like that really ticks some people off. However despite users decreasing, the actual activity of posts have been fairly steady and it's still better than the days when the Chatbox was around.

The only thing the Chatbox amounted to was creating hostility, drama, and taking away activity from the forum. It was nearly a daily occurrence that someone would do something to piss everyone off in the CB. Hell, at least 1/4th of our non-spam banned members were banned because of shit that happened only in the Chatbox. Then the regulars would behave like assholes and attack any non-regular who tried to say something in the Chatbox.. it just became a mess and that's not something I want to bring back (on top of the extra load and cost it'll take to bring back). The forum has been a lot less stressful and a lot more helpful since the Chatbox was removed.

• Like 1

I will admit the crashes also severely demotivated me to visit this place. The fact that I couldn't even access the site for a week after it was fixed didn't help either. And yeah...people including myself did get very petty in cb.

You really shouldn't have a need to use ten emoticons at a time. Overuse of smilies is annoying and generally considered poor netiquette.

could the option be open in the spam section atleast(forum games, specifically). people there don't mind emoticons.

if the above is not possible, then no worries.

I wouldn't know!

I do have a question of my own, though. Is it possible to have an option to make signatures show only once per page? Like, Job, idl, and I posted twice on this page, so our signatures on our second posts would be hidden to those with the option on. It's not a big deal if you can't, I just think it would improve the flow. And also I always forget to untick the signature option when I update a story, so I have to go back and edit it. Those precious seconds could be spent spinning absently in my chair!

After initially removing the Chatbox, activity on the forum more than doubled.

Then we had the file host fiasco in January, where our entire download section pretty much was dead, which resulted in a lot of people leaving, or even perhaps giving up on downloading, then we've had like 3 crashes this year, each resulting in at least a couple days to a couple weeks of downtime... two of which resulted in restoring with an old back up (the first time was only a week lost, this time it was May 15th-July 4th lost)... so all that together has really taken a toll on the community activity this year. We've went from nearly 700 people logging in each day to a little under 300 (was around 500 before the last crash we had). During the last crash we lost nearly 2000 member accounts and like 23,000 posts or so...

Stuff like that really ticks some people off. However despite users decreasing, the actual activity of posts have been fairly steady and it's still better than the days when the Chatbox was around.

The only thing the Chatbox amounted to was creating hostility, drama, and taking away activity from the forum. It was nearly a daily occurrence that someone would do something to piss everyone off in the CB. Hell, at least 1/4th of our non-spam banned members were banned because of shit that happened only in the Chatbox. Then the regulars would behave like assholes and attack any non-regular who tried to say something in the Chatbox.. it just became a mess and that's not something I want to bring back (on top of the extra load and cost it'll take to bring back). The forum has been a lot less stressful and a lot more helpful since the Chatbox was removed.

I also don't see the need for the chatbox when we have IRC. I have been on sites with chatboxes and it really only causes problems. Much drama ensues and people get bullied and trash talk happens. If people want to chat with other members then go to IRC Channel. Crashes, I imagine, do take quite a toll on this site. You guys lost so much on the last crash. I hoping a lot of those people come back and the traffic stays goo on here. I am trying to help with that by linked this page to my anime group on Facebook that I run. I am hoping it helps to bring back traffic here. :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/rei.animetopia/

I also agree with EO on the emotions. We don't need a whole lot of those on just one post. There is really no sense to it.

Edited by Sakura Rei

the Chatbox was a constant source of drama and trouble and im glad its gone, i cant recall how many times i had to step in and stop bullying or fighting or extremely bad topics that shouldnt be on a public chatbox it got really bad at some points that just resulted in drama and pain not including lots and lots of bans(saucerfoot) if the subject ever comes up to a vote again which it wont my foot will be firmly placed on hell no

as for features did that rss feed ever come about?

• Like 1

I also would like to know about the RSS feeds, but it is less important on my end since I'm not connected 24/7 at this time. Not until after the first. [cries tears of blood]

It was pointed out earlier and I neglected to mention it earlier, but is there any way to reinstate the minimum character count? I'm noticing people are starting to post one word posts outside of the forum games again. Or is it remaining off for another reason?

I know there is rule that clearly states that there sure be no one word replies. It says you should provide an ample enough of a reply to continue the conversation. Thou, many probably don't read the rules. In fact, I didn't til after people had said I had broken them without knowing. I have to keep re-reading them in order to remember them thou. LOL

I'm with, Renzourin, on the chat box. If there is ever a vote on it...I would definitely say "HELL NO"! :hell_boy:

Good luck EO on getting net set up. It must be driving you nuts not having access to it 24/7. :go:

Good luck EO on getting net set up. It must be driving you nuts not having access to it 24/7. :go:

Haha, it's been annoying for everyone. We had guests stay over at the apartment for a few days last week and they were a little bummed we haven't had wireless set up yet. My tether wouldn't let me access secured sites, so I couldn't get to some of my normal sites. Derp.

Also, I have sixteen characters in my name with the space, haha. Snuck in before the migration. Like I mentioned, the admins have the power to change your name for you, but could you just use a shorter name instead? If you were able, I'd say you could use it as your user title, but that'd be a useless suggestion at this point, haha.

I do have another thing (one more thing--channeling Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures)--can we have slots for PSN, Steam, and XBL handles on our profiles? It seems more effective than manually maintaining a database in a thread, and people can see for themselves whether a user has been active recently or not. With profiles being hidden to guests, it'd keep people from just harvesting handles, although I'm not sure that's a thing people do? Just in case, haha.

Haha, it's been annoying for everyone. We had guests stay over at the apartment for a few days last week and they were a little bummed we haven't had wireless set up yet. My tether wouldn't let me access secured sites, so I couldn't get to some of my normal sites. Derp.

I would imagine it being annoying. Bet you will be glad when you have the access again.

Is it really that bad having the limitation on the username characters...as EO said...couldn't you just use a shorter name?

Is there any way we can edit our comments? I know a few of us have to delete and re write because we make a grammatical error and other mistakes.

Are you talking about comments on statuses or on the forum? If it's comments on statuses...then I too would like that ability. It isn't necessary but is a definitely a like to have. If it's comments on the forum, then you are already able to do it.

Are you talking about comments on statuses or on the forum? If it's comments on statuses...then I too would like that ability. It isn't necessary but is a definitely a like to have. If it's comments on the forum, then you are already able to do it.

On Statuses. I have to delete a lot because I make a mistake. Also I have had 3 notifications for one comment because of mistake and re dos. I do it a lot too, so I just didn't know if that is something that they could add. It would be helpful if it was not too much trouble to add.

• Nekone locked this topic